• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Buying seeds

Where are some good places to buy quality seeds? I've purchased from the Chili Pepper Institute and from Pepper Joes, I've hade excellent results with the seeds from CPI but from pepper joes I'm getting almost nothing.

You can also try The Hippy Seed Company as well. I've gotten good results from them as well as JungleRain.

I'm new here so don't take my word for it but I've read somewhere here that Pepper Joes will replace the seeds you had issue with. Doesn't hurt to ask and btw are you soaking the seeds over night first? That helps ...

Where are some good places to buy quality seeds? I've purchased from the Chili Pepper Institute and from Pepper Joes, I've hade excellent results with the seeds from CPI but from pepper joes I'm getting almost nothing.

I would start another topic on your germination method and grow list. It may help to know if we are comparing peppers to peppers or peppers to super hots. Super hots are just notorious to taking a little more time to germinate. I say this from reading many posting, majority of the time it's end user's error. I am no exception to it either. Learned many ways on 'THP' of improving my germination rate. So what may work for one type of seed may not work for another type of seed.

I bought from Pepper Joe's from the reviews he's gotten here.
I've also bought from Pepper Lover and JungleRain and I would not hesitate to buy from all three again!

Pepperlovers.com (Judy)
Junglerain.com(Grant)
Both are great and have good prices plus extra's and great customer service.
Both are also on this forum as well.
=
+1

I'm new here so don't take my word for it but I've read somewhere here that Pepper Joes will replace the seeds you had issue with. Doesn't hurt to ask and btw are you soaking the seeds over night first? That helps ...

Yeah, Pepper Joe is awesome like that :) He's one of the other great vendors that happens to be a member in good standing here on THP :)

Lots of free seeds here, just look around. Sometimes buying seeds is not necessary.

Some of the seeds you may be buying from vendors are coming from the same members here who trade or give them away freely, usually for a self addressed, stamped envelope.

There is a lot of very good advice already in this thread. What I will add is that you have to give some thought to what matter most to you when buying your seeds. After you do this, along with going to the vendor vault and reading the reviews carefully you should also go to the web pages of each of the sellers and read the respective "about us" sections. Are the seeds open pollinated? Do the vendors re-sell seeds from third parties? Do the vendors even have the seeds that you want? How are the prices (use price per seed because not all packets are the same size)?

The motto here will be different strokes for different folks. For example, while it may not matter to one person if a seed has a higher probability of growing true once it germinates, that could be a deal breaker for another grower. (Note: having a random seed on rare occasions that does not grow true is not the same thing as not growing true a large portion of the time.) Getting more seeds if something goes wrong is a great criteria for some people, while others are perfectly fine with paying more to increase their chances of getting it right the first time around. Some people are willing to pay more for hard to get seeds, while others don't bother. There are a million and one factors that can go into it, and ultimately you have to sort through it all and figure out what matter to you most.

Take your time, figure things out, and good luck with your buying and growing!

When I first joined this site looking for a specific pepper I found it at http://rainbowchiliseeds.com/ (THP user: river915***) I had some trouble germing and he replaced my seeds and gave me some gift seeds of another variety. He was great to work with!

***ooops, 915river not river915******

i completely agree with STEFAN_W this it the biggest reason i always let anyone interested in buying or trading (what have you) know before we go any further, i let all know that my seeds are OP before anything happens, this way they can decide weather they wanna go forward or not, but my main emphasis is upon honesty
i would rather lose a sale and keep a friend
thanks your friend Joe

I have seeds if you wanna send a SASE just look at my grow list and make a wish list. where in Lancaster are you from I have Family in E-town, Rheems, and Bainbridge, The road to Paradise travels through Intercourse.....

Well I just replanted the pepper joes seeds I'll see what happens. One type I'm looking for that is Fatalii, finding them is tough. Oh and Justaguy I'm gonna have to get some of that Habitually Orange hot sauce of yours, I watched the review for several of your sauces, look like good stuff.

Back