co-packer By using a copacker, is my product disqualified as being a "Local Product" in Connecticut and no lon

I ran into someone 2 days ago who was all excited about the prospect of putting my sauce in his store for local businesses.  Until he read the bottle and saw it was made for me by Endorphin Farms in Florida.  That boat sailed pretty quick and he withdrew the offer, telling me that the product was no longer a Connecticut product and I would have to have produced it completely myself.

Later on, I ran into someone else in discussions about farmer's markets... and they were unsure if my product would qualify as a local product either, meaning some/certain FM's may deny my product/business because I didn't bottle it myself.

Is a Local Product virtually all or completely all produced, (assembled & packaged) - in the state in which it's marketed in?

If my research, development, focus groups, business, mailing address and LLC registration are in Connecticut, USA... but the sauce is produced and filled for me by a copacker in Florida, am I disqualified from legally saying that this is a Connecticut product?

Well that's what I meant about choosing my words to not sound like a car salesman and not be lying.

I want everything up and up, I'm not into sugar coating something.

If I have to say "It's a local business" that's fine, but when someone asks me if it's a local product, I would like to have something more than simply "No."

The info here is definitely top notch, that's why I come back for more :)

The Hot Pepper said:
Definitely NOT!

I live in NY and could care less about a sauce made in NY. I care more about flavor and ingredients, of course! I think everybody does!
I completely agree. But for the sales channels he's talking about (farmers markets or advertising as a local product in local stores) it reduces the likelihood of his getting in.

But in general, the hot sauce community doesn't care where the product comes from. Locally made or locally sourced or even just the term "local "somewhat irrelevant when you're talking about selling nationally to a Fanbase of hot sauce consumers.

I doubt very much that the order I just got from New Hampshire gives two craps that my peppers came from 60 miles away from me in Morgan Hill California. They just want the sauce to taste good.
:cheers:

Back