• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

C. pubescens and Alaska

I've been growing 2 orange manzano plants since October, started them from seeds I plucked out of one of the THP seed trains a few years ago.  I had never tried to grow them when I lived in the South but from what I understand they probably have a hard time with the persistent heat and humidity down there...as in people have difficulty growing them.  The average day temperatures here will swing from 55-80ºF(13-26ºC) over an entire day...back and forth between those extremes many times per day as the clouds roll past the Kenai Peninsula.  It would be brutal trying to grow a C. chinense from seed in these conditions (mine are all 2-3 season plants) and people have hardcore problems with aphids on C. annuum here...even in greenhouses.  There's also a C. baccatum here that does nicely...it just doesn't want to bloom (I honestly think it's the long daylight hours.)  That plant was started last season and still hasn't done much for fruiting but it certainly has some lush bushy shrub effects going for it.

So what is it about the C. pubescens that makes it like being grown in Alaska?  Peppers are not a choice crop for up here but seeing these guys do so nicely makes me wonder if I could be on to something for a great crop development for sub-arctic areas.  Realistically people probably don't grow it up here because they've never even heard of it unless they spent time in Central America or the Southwest US.

20160729_194658_zps5psmov4p.jpg

What is your elevation?

Perhaps there is a clue in whatever similarities exist between your current location, and the native region for C. Pubescens varieties. Rocotos are famous in mountainous regions of South America. Could be related to elevation and/or atmospheric pressure... And the temps sound just about right. I'd love to have those growing temps.

solid7 said:
What is your elevation?

Perhaps there is a clue in whatever similarities exist between your current location, and the native region for C. Pubescens varieties. Rocotos are famous in mountainous regions of South America. Could be related to elevation and/or atmospheric pressure... And the temps sound just about right. I'd love to have those growing temps.
I had considered that the elevation might have something to do with it in the native range, it's only 90ft above sea level here but down there it definitely will be cooler and have greater temper swings.  I'd like to visit the "temperate" areas of Central America some time, like certain areas of Belize.
Maligator said:
It's because they're furry like just about everything else in Alaska :P
funny because this was actually the only reason why I wanted to try growing them here, even though it really wouldn't make any difference lol

Back