• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens C.Pubescens

Hi all. I have another question. Are there ant other varieties of c.pubescens other than rocotos,manzanos and locotos? I've looked all over for other pubescens varieties and always come up empty handed. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

Imho, rocoto, manzano, locoto are just generic names used for dozens of different types.

When seed shopping/trading, try to ignore the names and research their individual characteristics, you'll find that there are many many types.

I know that forum member smokemaster has grown out many types, maybe research his posts here, and in other pepper forums.

Its like someone calling most chinense types a habanaero.  It is most of the time a general name for a pubescens species.

millworkman said:
Its like someone calling most chinense types a habanaero.  It is most of the time a general name for a pubescens species.
That's what I'm beginning to think,after looking around a number of sites

I think Rocoto, Locoto and Manzano are generic regional names. C. pubescens being the species name. I am growing about a dozen types and I wonder if the locals from the areas that they originate from call it just Rocoto or the name in which it is found. Example- Pisac, Peru or Rio Hualaga. The more I grow them, the more I like them. Them make a great all purpose powder and have just the right amount of heat for most uses. Smokemaster figured this out a while back.

I really like they way they look but can't really grow them until winter so I'm starting the plants now then letting them produce in a greenhouse during winter

millworkman said:
Ive got about 40 types in my seed collection right now.
You what?

Nightshade said:
I really like they way they look but can't really grow them until winter so I'm starting the plants now then letting them produce in a greenhouse during winter
In Vegas that would be tough. They seem to like 60 - 70ish temps. Also they grow out of pots very fast.

I think 15-16.  I start them mid summer since they never pod up or me.  Start mid summer and let them grow in the garage overwinter.

millworkman said:
I think 15-16.  I start them mid summer since they never pod up or me.  Start mid summer and let them grow in the garage overwinter.
Ecuadorian Red Pepper From Hell? Out of about 250 types this year this was one of 2 that did not germinate. The seeds were not good. have you tasted this?

millworkman said:
Hey Mill, have you (or anyone) ever tried starting C. pubescens, under lights, in December or early-January? Do you think that would work for NJ 6B, and get a harvest the same year?

I'm thinking jumbo container gardening btw.

Nightshade said:
They do well under flouros and set fruit. Maybe alternate window light and some cfls. I did that with a weak winter sun and was surprised.

Oh nice that gives me hope and I have been wanting to do different c. Pubescens I am doing manzano canarios or something like that right now

Jetchuka said:
Hey Mill, have you (or anyone) ever tried starting C. pubescens, under lights, in December or early-January? Do you think that would work for NJ 6B, and get a harvest the same year?

I'm thinking jumbo container gardening btw.
I have had them under flouros also for maybe 3 months. Then they grow really fast!

I went out and looked at my Pu.......... the Turbo has a few flower buds. It is only about 6 in at this point. The other types do not. Anyone know much about the Turbo as a early producer, or? 
may 28 045s.jpg

Back