• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pubescens Cabe Gendot - a C.pubescens from Indonesia!

windchicken said:
Wow, small world! Thanks so much for the great photos, Sean, and thanks especially for sharing your experience of Dieng! I greatly prefer the rural life, by the way, so you're only helping to sell the place to me…  :P

My Cabe Gendot plants are in 5-gallon nursery containers, in a place in my yard that gets only morning sun…Knowing that there is no full sun after 11 am on the Dieng makes me feel good about that. After I read your post this morning I ran out back and took these shots:

cabe_gendot1.jpg

cabe_gendot2.jpg

cabe_gendot3.jpg

Great pics there, Gary! They are really productive at your place. Only hoping they will do half as well over here, especially with the predicted El-Nino in summer. In Dieng, they get occasional spots of direct sunlight as the clouds march by, but never the entire day.

If you are headed to Asia, Dieng is worth at least a day trip, with geothermal vents, sulphur ponds and rural farming villages.

windchicken said:

The fields of the Dieng Plateau. The climate there is a constant 50-70ºF year-round:

7978880810_5c9e92d279_o.jpg

ZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You know you are a true grower when a pic like that gets you all hot and bothered. The soil! The climate! All those beautiful terraced plots of land! Tropical highlands got it going on.

Roguejim said:
Gary, what is your potting mix made of?

Hi RJ! Nothing in there but bagged MG Potting Mix. Since the season started I've "bumped" them twice with Liquid MG.
cone9 said:
Nigel/windchicken - thanks for an interesting thread!  A great find - well worth following

Thanks cone! I was real lucky to have these seeds sent to me…I didn't ask for them, didn't KNOW to ask for them. Serendipity is the best  :P

pepperomia said:

Great pics there, Gary! They are really productive at your place. Only hoping they will do half as well over here, especially with the predicted El-Nino in summer. In Dieng, they get occasional spots of direct sunlight as the clouds march by, but never the entire day.

If you are headed to Asia, Dieng is worth at least a day trip, with geothermal vents, sulphur ponds and rural farming villages.

Thanks Sean! By the looks of it, I believe I would want to stay more than one day—Dieng looks idyllic!

PepperWhisperer said:

ZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You know you are a true grower when a pic like that gets you all hot and bothered. The soil! The climate! All those beautiful terraced plots of land! Tropical highlands got it going on.

Haha, PW—I could not have said it better  :P

I'm a little tired seeing nothing but perfect plants/pods in your garden Gary :) great job! I'm another fan of the rural life for sure!

Cya

Datil

windchicken said:

Thanks cone! I was real lucky to have these seeds sent to me…I didn't ask for them, didn't KNOW to ask for them. Serendipity is the best  :P

Hey Gary ... bit of a thread resurrection but thought this was as good as place as any to ask... are these Cabe Gendot likely the same as the Cabe Gondol that I have got germinating?  (From Grant @Junglerain)

They certainly look like something I want to grow to production (if I can get them to Germ) ... although thinking my summer will be far too hot .. any further updates of these in the heat of summer?

chile_freak said:
Beautiful plants as always Gary!

Thanks Paully!

Trippa said:
Hey Gary ... bit of a thread resurrection but thought this was as good as place as any to ask... are these Cabe Gendot likely the same as the Cabe Gondol that I have got germinating?  (From Grant @Junglerain)

They certainly look like something I want to grow to production (if I can get them to Germ) ... although thinking my summer will be far too hot .. any further updates of these in the heat of summer?

Trippa—I can't imagine there could be more than one chile with that name. I suspect Grant may have just misspelled it—Try a Google search….As you may already know, "Cabe" means "chile" in Indonesia….

The Cabe Gendot plants are doing amazingly well, even though it's now mid-August, which is a couple weeks into the very hottest part of the Louisiana summer, the eight-week period from August 1 to September 30. The plants are still setting flowers and fresh pods, which is really unbelievable to me. The plants are in 5-gal nursery containers, in a spot in my yard which is shaded after about 11 am.….

Thanks for asking!

windchicken said:

Thanks Paully!

TrippaI can't imagine there could be more than one chile with that name. I suspect Grant may have just misspelled itTry a Google search.As you may already know, "Cabe" means "chile" in Indonesia.

The Cabe Gendot plants are doing amazingly well, even though it's now mid-August, which is a couple weeks into the very hottest part of the Louisiana summer, the eight-week period from August 1 to September 30. The plants are still setting flowers and fresh pods, which is really unbelievable to me. The plants are in 5-gal nursery containers, in a spot in my yard which is shaded after about 11 am..

Thanks for asking!
Cheers Gary! Much appreciated!

Back