• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Cal Mag question

Hi everyone, I have a bottle of cal mag that I bought some months ago.. I was wondering every how often should I give it to my plants. I hear many things but just wanted to double check and get some suggestions. Also how much of.it should I feed my plants ... thanks everyone

I would say it would depend on what you have going on and what you're using already. The best I could do is give you the info of how I use Cal Mag.

For my hydro, I use 0.5 - 1tsp (2.5 - 5ml) per gallon of RO water each and every feeding (reverse osmosis water - meaning the water I use for my hydro starts around 0ppm, pretty much pure water before I add anything to it)

For my soil, I use tap water because my soil has most everything it needs already, so I only supplement maybe every other feeding. My tap water runs around 300ppm. When I do add cal-mag to my soil feedings, I just add about 2ml per gal.

Some people would say to add cal-mag every feeding no matter what. I feel that a little can go a long way, especially if using tap water. But some species require more (like the Carolina Reaper for example).

If this makes sense to you, great! If not, then just know that most peppers tend to love cal-mag. Just add a little here and there and it shouldn't negatively effect your plants.

The age of your plants makes a difference. Post some pics so we can help with dosing, please. 

I grow in pots and my potting soil has some nutes in it when purchased. I still add nutes, different types depending on the development of the plant. Regardless, once the plants kick into production, they get CalMag at most every feeding. The label recommends 1 tsp/gallon, but that's not for every feeding - you'll burn your plants if you do that. I generally use 1/4 tsp/gallon to no more than 1/2 tsp/gallon. 

mrgrowguy said:
I would say it would depend on what you have going on and what you're using already. The best I could do is give you the info of how I use Cal Mag.

For my hydro, I use 0.5 - 1tsp (2.5 - 5ml) per gallon of RO water each and every feeding (reverse osmosis water - meaning the water I use for my hydro starts around 0ppm, pretty much pure water before I add anything to it)

For my soil, I use tap water because my soil has most everything it needs already, so I only supplement maybe every other feeding. My tap water runs around 300ppm. When I do add cal-mag to my soil feedings, I just add about 2ml per gal.

Some people would say to add cal-mag every feeding no matter what. I feel that a little can go a long way, especially if using tap water. But some species require more (like the Carolina Reaper for example).

If this makes sense to you, great! If not, then just know that most peppers tend to love cal-mag. Just add a little here and there and it shouldn't negatively effect your plants.

And the Primo is even thirstier for cal mag!

mrgrowguy said:

Good to know. I was thinking about running some primos next year.
Why not put some oyster flour, crab meal or crustacean meal in your soil so you dont have to pay the ridiculous price they charge for CalMag?

Kelp4less has a Cal Mag organic substitute.  Judging by the mixing directions for the concentrate, then the amount of concentrate to add to the to a gallon of water per use.  That stuff should last a LONG time.

https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/cal-mag-organic/

But as PMD pointed out, if you buy slow-release forms of calcium and add them to a living soil, you won't have to keep applying throughout the season.

I actually have been looking into doing just that, I use the cal-mag solution for my hydro, but I do want to start running a slow release for the soil, might as well

Back