• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Calcium deficiency , How to add it

fcd78739.jpg

i had the same thing!
IMO its to much fert's.

"wash" the soil with water until they clear
don't fert for at least 1 month or until new leaves poping out nicely (can be over 1 month)

i did the same and got out of it

any way your plants look really good

Could be wrong but looks like thrip damage to me. Very similar to what the buggers have been doing to some of my plants.

If not thrips, then aphids or some other bug pest would be my guess.

I'm with Gasi!

If you need to add calcium, crumble up an eggshell in a coffee cup, fill the cup half way with water, microwave it for a half minute or so, let it cool, and then pour it all on the plant...

leave the egg shells there, and when it rains a little bit of calcium will be released :)

Hey I saw this video about adding some vinegar to milk and getting a brick like substance as a result. Anyone know if you could take that to a mortar and pestel to get some "calcium powder?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFvik_THcNQ

i was totally going to rag on that post the green man... untill you removed it. now i cant remember what you were saying.

that plant photo he posted was either bad bugs or a calcium deficiency. i dont understand how that could be misconstrued as either over watering or over ferting... if i had to guess, id say it aleast needs some calcium. but without ruleing out critters its not possible to say.
fwiw its not consistent with the critter damage ive gone through, which is admittedly limited.

anyway this was back in may, that plant is likely long gone.

... If you need to add calcium, crumble up an eggshell in a coffee cup, fill the cup half way with water, microwave it for a half minute or so, let it cool, and then pour it all on the plant...

leave the egg shells there, and when it rains a little bit of calcium will be released :)
I completely agree, I keep all the egg shells saved till I have a lot, even ask neighbors to save them for me. I put them in compost, I crush some into the soil when transplanting and throw a few around the top soil. The last step will cut up any wandering snail *rolleyes* Hell I even start my babies in eggs like this and they seem to love it.

Hey I saw this video about adding some vinegar to milk and getting a brick like substance as a result. Anyone know if you could take that to a mortar and pestel to get some "calcium powder?"

You could also do this but I don’t go thru all the trouble, after dried out I just crush them by hand. Plus if you go to powder it would be easier to over dose VS the slow seapage you get from the shells over time.

why not just buy organic calcium acetate. save you the trouble of all this elaborateness with the egg shells... and the vinegar and what have you.

as far as i know egg shells just contain calcium carbonate. cant you buy organic calcium carbonate? theres tons of stuff that will disassociate into a calcium ion ... Ca(OH)2, quite caustic. CaC03 calcium carbonate... very very insoluble raises ph. calcium sulfate very insoluble raises ph.

as a student, I have an ample supply of egg shells... Calcium carbonate on the other hand is not as readily available in my budget.

im guessing you are a culinary student?

anyway calcium carbonate is just about the cheapest chemical i can think of. its basically just limestone.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Clean-Calcium-Carbonate-Limestone-Powder-5-LBS-CaCO3-Lime-Fast-USA-Shipping-/170891226850?pt=Fertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item27c9e92ee2

here it is less than a dollar an LB.
gardening lime basically calcium carbonate + some other carbonates i think calcium and magnesium probably. thats probably even cheaper than 1$/lb.

if i had to use egg shells for my garden... id have to eat like 2dozen eggs a day just to equal the calcium necessary as calcium carbonate... which is a terrible fertilizer in the first place.

Back