• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Calling all WA folk

I heard they sell wasabi plants and usually plants that will die in winter go on clearance and also they don't go on sale until spring so I was hoping they would have some.

I would offer to go there and check it out for you but it's 6 hours and two mountain passes away. And winter lol. Have you called them? Maybe they will ship to you? Sorry I can't help.

No problem lol that is certainly a bit of a task to get through that lol and when I called they said they don't ship until spring not that they don't have any.

Scoville DeVille said:
Gotcha. Probably because they can't guarantee that it will survive transit this time of year.
Yea that's what I'm thinking but don't they understand the urgency of genuine wasabi?!

oneFowl1 lives out in that area, and he's very knowledgeable about nurseries.  I bet he'd know the place.  You wanna send him a PM?  Or I can I if you want.  Need to touch bases about the 2014 NWCF anyway~   

Sorry to chip in so far behind but it is a busy time of the year for me like many others. So as to Raintree nursery it has been around for a long long time and was one of the first true fruit tree specializing mail order nurseries. Like many others of this type they close down to the public from sometime in Nov till the middle of Jan or Feb so they can get everything ready for bare root shipping season which used to be at least about 75 to 80% of their business. 
  I do not know how well or the quality of their stock is right now as it has passed into the hands of family members from the founder and last I heard up for a possible sale to an outside the area nursery. If it did go through i hope it was for the better because the last family member that had it a little over a year ago was doing horrible business practices at least locally at home shows.
  If i remember right wasabi takes almost two years before harvest and needs cool shaded area to grow with even moisture in the soil and a decent amount of humidity in the air. Seeing as you list location as Las Vegas unless you are going to grow it inside hydroponically it will be a challenge. It is in the same group as horseradish which is easier to grow and many products sold in the stores as wasabi was made from horseradish and not wasabi just check the ingredient list on them.
 http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Wasabi

Good luck

Back