• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can anyone identify this mystery pepper?...

Hello, Pepper Pals:

This plant was supposed to be Purple Cayenne, but turned out to be something else entirely. I have no idea what it is!

: O

The fruits start out dark green, then get tinged with a black/purple hue, finally ripening to red. The blossoms are white with purple/violet edging.

I like it but wish I knew what it was...

: )

DSCI0950.jpg

DSCI0944.jpg

DSCI0949.jpg

DSCI0948.jpg

Thank you in advance, for your best guess...

garden03-2.gif

Not sure, but they are way smaller than Jalapeno even though they may appear large. They also turn red really fast and don't crack like Jalapenos.

Thanks for your input. They sure do look Jalapeno-ish in my pics.

By the way...

This might shed some light. The fruits are only 1 and 1/2 inch long and 1 inch wide, and do not get any bigger than what you see in the pictures. They turn red so fast it is unbelievable. My Jalapenos take weeks before they turn red.

Also:

This plant was grown entirely indoors, and has never been outside. I have already harvested some fruits from it previously. I took some shots before I cut off the fruits. This is the same plant as above...

DSCI0771-1.jpg

DSCI0769.jpg

It's gotta be some kind of jalapeno...a lot of the jalapenos I am growing this year have smallish pods like that...I expect the size to increase once the summer heat is over...how is the heat of these? close to a jalapeno?

Ok, well I didn't realize that even though they're small, they could still be related to Jalapenos. How very interesting that I ended up with some kind of Jalapeno!

Don't know where it came from. It was supposed to be a Purple Cayenne! Yes, Alabama Jack, the fruits are very hot.

QUESTION:

If this was supposed to be a purple cayenne but got pollinated with my Jalapeno plant, would this be the reason for the different Jalapeno-ish shape? They do get blackish/purple like my purple cayenne fruits. How is a hot peppers shape changed, because I swear these are my purple cayennes, but they've been modified!!!

Ok, but can someone please explain how a hot pepper would be changed? Is it through pollination, or do the roots have to mix? I am not sure, but would like to know...

P.S. could be mislabelled, but it would be rare for me.

Well, I have had it where I've grown a hot red cayenne beside a sweet red bell, and the bells ended up being not too sweet, but more hot! Likewise, the cayennes were not as hot! The shape however, never changed!

Please explain why then, my purple cayennes have changed into Jalapeno shaped fruits. I believe it though, because a very short time ago, I had a Jalapeno plant in the same window as my purple cayenne! I had ladybugs indoors, so they must have pollinated for me. So now I have a Jalapeno/Purple Cayenne!!!

This would explain the charachteristics it seems to have that are much like the purple cayenne. Wow - how cool! Will the seeds also produce this new variety?

ladybird-1.jpg

The current plants' pods(Jalapeno or purple cayenne) won't change if cross-pollination occurred, only it's seeds and therefore the next generation will be affected

Plants growing next to each other can not have an affect on the flavor/pungency of peppers currently growing on them. The seeds of those peppers could be a cross but you won't know until you plant and grow them.

Hope that clears up part of your confusion HB Lady.

Yes, it does clear up confusion, thanks. Why though, did I have this experience one summer?...

Well, I have had it where I've grown a hot red cayenne beside a sweet red bell, and the bells ended up being not too sweet, but more hot! Likewise, the cayennes were not as hot!

I don't know, but it has nothing to do with the plants being beside each other.
Think of humans reproducing, people aren't going to get crossed every time they have sex, but their offspring will be a cross

Wow - I am totally blown away!

I have always believed that you couldn't grow hot and sweet peppers together, because I had that experience. I have been keeping them apart for years!

How does one collect true seed from each pepper plant, if they are growing many different kinds? I was going to say - grow them inside, but then look at what happened to my purple cayenne! What I found confusing was how it happened in the first place!

I had two seedlings in the same pot, one of which turned out to be a true purple cayenne and the 2nd revealed itself as the specimen you see above! The whole thing is very strange to me.

Obviously not all the seeds in the packet labelled 'purple cayenne' were true, and some cross pollination went on with a Jalapeno variety. This is what I am now inclined to believe. Is this correct thinking?

I do like the new variety though, it really reminds me of purple cayenne in its' flavor. I can't decide if it had more Jalapeno type heat, or cayenne, because they are both super hot.

garden02-1.gif

When you had the two seedling in the same pot that were different, were they from bought seeds or your own saved seeds?
If they were your own seeds then its likely crossed with your jalapeno
If they were from bought seeds then you won't know if its a cross or just a wrongly packaged seed

To collect true seeds you need to isolate plants or individual flowers. Do a THP search, this is a popular topic

Back