• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Can I Use This in a Smoker?

OK, I have zero- I mean ZERO experience with grills & smokers. Turn 42 tomorrow & have been one of these vegetarian people since I was 15. I know, I know, there's supposed to be something manly about grilling slabs of meat. I'm OK getting my man score reduced. I wear women's deodorant too. How close to zero am I?

ANYWAYY... I recently bought a smoker/grill. This one:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/f8/f855ca43-e82a-44fd-9718-4aff1e65912e_400.jpg

If I'm smoking peppers, I need to put them on something so they don't fall through the rack. I have some thin aluminum trays like this:
http://www.safestchina.com/products_image/aluminum-foil-tray-49518.jpg

Could I use those in the grill?

Sorry for the noobish question.

Yes U can use that . I prefer a flat metal grate . Those throw away pans are good for meat that you want tender but if your smoking peppers for making powder I would go with nothing at all or a small grate like trey made with real metal .  

The Hot Pepper said:
Yes

Poke holes in the bottom with a skewer for better smoke.

Or buy some steel mesh from the hardware store.
Perfect. Will roll with the trays for now. THANKS!
romy6 said:
 Yes U can use that . I prefer a flat metal grate . Those throw away pans are good for meat that you want tender but if your smoking peppers for making powder I would go with nothing at all or a small grate like trey made with real metal .  
Thanks!

Its safe but it's not going to turn out very well. The whole idea of smoking something is to let the smokey air travel all over and make sweet smokey love to every inch of whatever it is your smoking, you want as little metal surface touching the item to be smoked as possible. That's why you tend to see smoked meats hanging and not on a rack at all. If I were you I'd just go down and pick up a "cooling rack" or anything where air can pass through freely.

Not turn out well? Disagree. You can smoke wrapped in foil and it still gets smoke, don't believe me, try it. The tins will work perfectly, holes in the bottom, no issue at all. Smoke moves around in the chamber and hits from all angles and forces into crevices. 

You only need the tin for very tiny peppers anyway, most won't fall through.

You can buy these at the Dollar Store or at Menards - they work fine for a 1 time use.

grill toppers.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Not turn out well? Disagree. You can smoke wrapped in foil and it still gets smoke, don't believe me, try it. The tins will work perfectly, holes in the bottom, no issue at all. Smoke moves around in the chamber and hits from all angles and forces into crevices. 

You only need the tin for very tiny peppers anyway, most want fall through.
Really?? Admittedly I've never smoked peppers but I've smoked a fair amount of meat and did a little experiment with a friend involving tin foil. He claimed wrapping ribs in tinfoil and then smoking them will make them juicier. We smoked two racks together, one with and one without. When it was finished we didn't agree on whether or not it was juicier but we did agree that the tin foil one did not have as much smokey flavor.

Again, admittedly I've never smoked peppers and I've never poked holes in the bottom of a disposable pan so I was just going on intuition and I know the above situation doesn't completely apply here.

You used to be able to buy those aluminum pans with perfect holes in the bottom made for smokers. I can say for a fact, what the boss said or the pre-fab ones will allow plenty of smoke on peppers. I use them without issue and for anyone that has had my smoked powders can attest they have smoke flavor for sure. 

buddy said:
You can buy these at the Dollar Store or at Menards - they work fine for a 1 time use.

attachicon.gif
grill toppers.jpg
Exactly the ones I was referring to!

El Angeleno said:
Really?? Admittedly I've never smoked peppers but I've smoked a fair amount of meat and did a little experiment with a friend involving tin foil. He claimed wrapping ribs in tinfoil and then smoking them will make them juicier. We smoked two racks together, one with and one without. When it was finished we didn't agree on whether or not it was juicier but we did agree that the tin foil one did not have as much smokey flavor.

Again, admittedly I've never smoked peppers and I've never poked holes in the bottom of a disposable pan so I was just going on intuition and I know the above situation doesn't completely apply here.

I never said the same, I said it gets in and he is not wrapping! Using an open tin with holes. Saying: 

El Angeleno said:
Its safe but it's not going to turn out very well.

...is not a fair statement especially if you have never done it imo.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
You used to be able to buy those aluminum pans with perfect holes in the bottom made for smokers. I can say for a fact, what the boss said or the pre-fab ones will allow plenty of smoke on peppers. I use them without issue and for anyone that has had my smoked powders can attest they have smoke flavor for sure. 

Exactly the ones I was referring to!
I have a stash of them in the garage!

Yeah yeah, I hear you, was just trying to offer advice based on my previous experiences of "make it easy for the smoke". But if you've done that specifically and it worked than I believe you. My first post was in direct response to him, not any proceeding posts.

Smoke em If you got em!   :high:

Poor lil' smoker. :tear:  Bought by vegetarian. Never gonna see a drop of pork fat.  :cry:

Poor lil' smoker.  :tear:  Bought by vegetarian. Never gonna see a drop of pork fat.   :cry:

LOL,

Don't forget Pastromi and a good Brisket.

Too many things are BEST smoked.
Veggies or otherwise!
The guy needs help. :)

No matter what he likes to eat.
Veggies,for the most part are what meat producers eat anyway.

Back