• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

can some identify this pepper?

but they do retain the heat.. according to my friend he gave some pods to his sister. she was thinking its was normal heat and put many into her fish dish. that night they were all tearing and coughing. lol. anyway. my friend told me that she wanted more pods now!!. hahahaa

Very distintive look in the green state, so I recognize.

It is a pimientos de Padrón from SPAIN (Served in TAPA BARS).
Rarely found outside of spain, but is starting to get around. Seeds
were initially smuggled out of Spain. Portagese farmers grow in CA.

My favorite pepper. Unique flavor. Pick when SMALL, then fry in olive oil
and sea salt. Just pop them in your mouth, seeds and all, bite off the stem.
So good, but be careful they are ADDICTIVE, you will be eating them for breakfast,
lunch and supper. Almost taste like Asperigas. GOOGLE them and read the story.
When small, One in 10 is Hot (Known as spanish roulett), so have a beer handy.
When large or red all are pretty hot. Late summer they get hotter.

"Os pementos de Padrón, uns pican e outros non"
(Galician for "Padrón peppers, some are hot and some are not").

Seeds available from Tomato Growers. I have 2 dozen plants going.

Are companies that will ship these by the dozen to make TAPA snacks.

Gort

Sorry Gort - that's a chinense though I'm not sure which. I've grown Pimento de Padron from seed from Portugal and the peppers I grew look very much like the one's on Google Image which don't remotely look like this one...

Welcome to the forum!

Coming back to this thread, I bought two "Jalapeno" plants from the local Bunnings a while back, and they are now producing fruit... exactly the same as shown in the OP.

Slack suppliers of plants in two countries, selling the same Chinenses as Jalapenos?

Very distintive look in the green state, so I recognize.

It is a pimientos de Padrón from SPAIN (Served in TAPA BARS).
Rarely found outside of spain, but is starting to get around. Seeds
were initially smuggled out of Spain. Portagese farmers grow in CA.

My favorite pepper. Unique flavor. Pick when SMALL, then fry in olive oil
and sea salt. Just pop them in your mouth, seeds and all, bite off the stem.
So good, but be careful they are ADDICTIVE, you will be eating them for breakfast,
lunch and supper. Almost taste like Asperigas. GOOGLE them and read the story.
When small, One in 10 is Hot (Known as spanish roulett), so have a beer handy.
When large or red all are pretty hot. Late summer they get hotter.

"Os pementos de Padrón, uns pican e outros non"
(Galician for "Padrón peppers, some are hot and some are not").

Seeds available from Tomato Growers. I have 2 dozen plants going.

Are companies that will ship these by the dozen to make TAPA snacks.

Gort
sorry GOrt but i think there are not pimientos de Padrón as the pod shape are different.
:welcome: to the THP :)

Sorry Gort - that's a chinense though I'm not sure which. I've grown Pimento de Padron from seed from Portugal and the peppers I grew look very much like the one's on Google Image which don't remotely look like this one...

Welcome to the forum!
Yes I agree with BOb_b

Coming back to this thread, I bought two "Jalapeno" plants from the local Bunnings a while back, and they are now producing fruit... exactly the same as shown in the OP.

Slack suppliers of plants in two countries, selling the same Chinenses as Jalapenos?
hehe Hey Pauly7 you got a chinese rather than a Jalapenos.. hehe more :onfire: :))

well they might have got the seedlings mixed up..

Annoying thing is I actually wanted Jalapeños. Have plenty of hotter habs and so, but getting fruitful Jalapeños is becoming almost annoying.

Planting lots for next season. :)

Annoying thing is I actually wanted Jalapeños. Have plenty of hotter habs and so, but getting fruitful Jalapeños is becoming almost annoying.

Planting lots for next season. :)
hmm did you go back to the nursery to ask what happen to their jalapenos seedlings? maybe they give you some new ones?

Wasn't too fussed, they are producing some nice pods. But I'll make sure I have a number of good plants (from seeds I trust) next season :)

Back