• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can someone ID this pepper plant?

I have not tasted any and the fruit have been on there a month and they are still green....so not sure what they are and if they will ripen to another colour. The largest pods are 2.5 to 2.75" long. Its also a fast grower amongst my other plants. It was planted from a seed in the first week of Feb. Seed used was from a grocery store 'jamaican pepper'. Thats all it was advertised as but it didnt look like this. It was smaller and more habanero like. These are easily 2x the size of what I ate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Likely a cross, and since its growing so well there is likely heterosis(or hybrid vigour) involved. Just gotta hope its tastey as well as productive

Well I wanted to report that they ripened up a dark orange to light red and had some serious heat - as much as a nice strong orange hab. It also had a lot of flavour. Great pepper!

POTAWIE said:
Its almost definitely an unknown chinense cross. If it came from a store its probably an f2

good to hear that it's worth keeping. lol.

now what would it be most related to? other than the obvious. =D

i see such crazy variation in the pods i get from the supermarket, labeled as "jamaican", that i wouldn't even be sure to call it an F2.

svtcontour said:
Well I wanted to report that they ripened up a dark orange to light red and had some serious heat - as much as a nice strong orange hab. It also had a lot of flavour. Great pepper!

Pics would be nice. Whatever it is it surely would be worth saving the seeds and see what you get the second time around. :)

Reminds me a lot of a plant I had last year (and I overwintered it for this year) that I believed to be a Fatalii cross with some sort of Habanero. Very Hot with intense flavor. I actually like it better than a regular Fatalii. I ended up calling it a Fatabanero. Link to my old thread w pics.

bigt said:
Reminds me a lot of a plant I had last year (and I overwintered it for this year) that I believed to be a Fatalii cross with some sort of Habanero. Very Hot with intense flavor. I actually like it better than a regular Fatalii. I ended up calling it a Fatabanero. Link to my old thread w pics.

I too immediately thought it looked like some sort of fatali cross....

bigt said:

You know what, your thread pretty much describes this plant and the fruit and the taste and heat. Its got to be the same damn thing. Love the plant though. Will keep seeds for sure!

bossman9 said:
SVT...those pics are excellent...I especially like that last one....enjoy those pods!!!

Thank you and I did actually enjoy one tonight. Man whatever they are, they pack some serious heat. I'd say they feel about 40% more intense than an orange hab and the flavour is really good.

Back