• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can someone please explain? (accurately)

Can someone please explain to me the differences between douglah, chocolate 7 pot and brown 7 pot? There are so many different claims made I have no idea what to believe, and I have only ever tried something labeled as "douglah"

Douglah is a different strain than a brown 7. Just grow both and you will see and taste the differences. 

Is it still a 7 pot? what about the chocolate?

and which one is the one listed here:
pSmHgpD.jpg

Jim Duffy (the guy that sent the seeds for the chocs tested here) claims they are all the same so who knows what was really tested? That guy is a scourge on the pepper world imo

Nigel (and Judy and others ) have explained this before, 

Brown 7 is sometimes called Chocolate and has NO red or orange on the inside pods are larger and flavor is generally decent. Douglah (also sometimes called Chocolate) has a reddish or orange color inside and smaller pods generally with more harsh flavor many dislike. 

Douglah vs Brown 7

Brown 7 vs Douglah

also this topic

spade is a spade

I grew the brown 7 and it is the second largest chinense pod I have grown next to the Red Congo Hab. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1859]

Haven't tried the chocolate 7 pot, but have tried the brown 7 pot and the douglah. Taste wise for me there is a difference. The douglah had a bitter taste to it that I didn't care for, while the brown 7 had a great flavour, and is one I could every day if I could handle the heat. 

Sorry i was having trouble finding it but here's a chocolate scorp i grew last season.

I was tossing these in the mix because i've seen them confused with the chocolate 7 pot
HP22BH said:
So then, whats a brown chocolate douglah?
Honestly i think its what people decide to call it. They are both the color brown but called brown or chocolate by different people.

Some of the confusion may come from the color stages the pods go through. Douglahs start out green then become a more muddy brown, but then become more of a rusty red-brown when ripe. If you cut one open while it's just brown, the inside will be green. You have to wait until it gets that deep rust-red color before it's really ripe. I don't get the bitter taste others report from a fully ripe (rust red) douglah, but I have gotten it from an unripe (brown) one. I've grown douglahs for three seasons now, and love them when fully ripe.

smileyguy697 said:
Honestly i think its what people decide to call it. They are both the color brown but called brown or chocolate by different people.
:D Ya have to excuse me, I just got off work and I was being a smart a$$.

geeme said:
Some of the confusion may come from the color stages the pods go through. Douglahs start out green then become a more muddy brown, but then become more of a rusty red-brown when ripe. If you cut one open while it's just brown, the inside will be green. You have to wait until it gets that deep rust-red color before it's really ripe. I don't get the bitter taste others report from a fully ripe (rust red) douglah, but I have gotten it from an unripe (brown) one. I've grown douglahs for three seasons now, and love them when fully ripe.
There either might be some different strains of douglah out there, or some are selling one as the other. Or else it just comes down to individual tastes. The one I had was fully ripe but was still really bitter. 

neoguy said:
Bad, bad, bad. People inventing new names. BAD!
A few short years ago there were a few super hots, Naga, bhut then 7-pot and the scorpions. Then in just a span of say 5 years we have so many diff names given to peppers that really do look a lot like others. Being a diff color would justify adding the colors to original names but it seems like the addition of peoples names on a given variety  has gotten out of hand. I have also noticed on peoples lists that the names of the people that gave or traded them the seeds is added to the variety which causes even more mix up, then those seeds are in turn traded again and pretty soon the name is attached to that pepper. This is just my opinion and am not bashing anyones hard work crossing and growing out strains until they get a stable cross because that is the case (sometimes).  Don't mean to ramble but will try to sum up what i am trying to say.. If you grow a pepper in your yard and it looks totally different from the pepper you were expecting (like the one in the picture) its probably just a cross and should be labeled as such. JMHO. Maybe I'm wrong.

Next person who renames an existing pepper, that is NOT a mutant or a cross, gets kneecapped with peter pepper x big bertha bell once my friend finishes growing it out. Take a guess as to what THAT would look like.

*hint* I'm hoping it looks like a jumbo peter pepper.

Cruzzfish, I could not agree with you more.  While this lazy nicknaming obscures the origin of peppers and can lead to one pepper having multiple names, it adds absolutely nothing of value to us growers.  As I understand it, the Baccatum named Kaleidoscope is an example of this cheap marketing trick. Jim Duffy, who has been quite dismissive of hobby growers from what I have seen, may be responsible for it: Lazy marketing Jargon

Perhaps you should introduce him to the Peter Pepper x Big Bertha?

Back