• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

condiment Can this favorite salsa be converted to a sauce?

I always really liked the salsa served at the Hula Hut in Austin even tho it is totally lacking in heat. I went in search of the recipe online with no luck, but i did find this "similar" recipe. I have made this just as shown in the recipe (while also adding habs for heat, a little garlic and using two whole peeled limes instead of just the juice), all on a coarse chop in the food processor and served refridgerated/cold. Although I don't always want salsa heavy on the pineapple and lime, it is in the regular rotation and is great on hot days. Is there any reason this couldn't be cooked, blended and bottled? Even if it is possible...input as to if it would be good or awful also appreciated.

The recipe is as follows:

Pineapple Salsa

1/2 small pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into bite sized chunks

1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and small dice

1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and small dice

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

1 tbs ginger, minced

1 tbs cumin

1 tbs curry powder

1 tbs red pepper flakes

1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)

salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients and

mix well. This salsa will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 3

or 4 days. About 3 cups.

It'll need some heat for sure, but it seems alright to me. Add 20 habs to the recipe and give it a whirl. I might take out the green bell, because otherwise you might be left with a brownish sauce. You also probably won't need the flakes if you use a lot of fresh pods.

Thanks guys, so at least it doesn't look like a certain failure. I should have mentioned I have omitted the dried pepper flakes previously because I've never had any other than what the pizza guy brings. I guess I was just concerned about cooking the pineapple.

Pineapple will cook down nicely. Make a batch of the salsa with the heat level you want. Simmer for 20 minutes. Then carefully run through the blender(hot fluid will steam and expand in the blender. Hold the lid closed with a towel). Then once blended, put in the pot and boil for 20-30 minutes then bottle up.

Did I miss it?? What ya using for heat? Add some habaneros and you'll have a nice "Island" sauce! You can make anything into a sauce....you may have to make a couple of adjustments, like someone else said ...thats the fun part!

Back