• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Can we add spices after a fermentation ?

HI all. We I just fermented a batch peppers with some garlic but now I was wondering if I can add some spices to it without any problems ? 
I read on somewhere that some sanitize them first but I was also thinking of simmering spices in oil then adding them to the mix with some vinegar. What do  you guys think?

I was think of simmering. ( Bringing temp to about 240c ) 

1/2 cup oil ( olive oil )
4 cloves garlic sliced thin to toast brown ( Toasting this to kill any toxins that may be on it )
1 tsp Turmeric
1⁄2 teaspoon ground dry ginger
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 black pepper corn

Then mixing this with about 150ml white wine vinegar and with 45ml of bring left over from fermentation.

I add the oil with the garlic after I already blended it smooth with the vinegar and bring. 

webcan said:
ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar ?
Yes :)

Also, don't add any oil (or simmer anything in oil) if you plan on bottling/canning for long term (shelf) storage. That's a big safety "no no." Oil is a safe haven for botulism

If you're keeping the sauce in the fridge for short term use, you can add any additional ingredients that you want to. If you're bottling/canning it, make sure you're pH level is still 4.0 or below after adding everything else
:cheers:

What do guys think about Roasting the garlic in the oven then ? I was think of wrapping it in tin foil and roasting it over 375F then maybe adding it to a solution of spices and ACV and simmering it ? 
Then adding it to the above brine and mixing it in blender ?

Back