• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can win - leaf death and leaf curl

First I figured the pyrethrin was doing it. Then I made a mix of water, soap, & veg oil - actually did worse. healthy leaves dying. Is a tbl spoon of soap and oil too much for a quart spray bottle??

I'm about to give up. I can't take the stress of this. Between the never dying aphids and this, it's hardly worth it. The house plants seem to have no problem, the pepper plants are so finnicky.

I hope that nursery place has the super hots in late May... and the weather gets better around here. Still too cold at night...

:(

worlok said:
First I figured the pyrethrin was doing it. Then I made a mix of water, soap, & veg oil - actually did worse. healthy leaves dying. Is a tbl spoon of soap and oil too much for a quart spray bottle??

I'm about to give up. I can't take the stress of this. Between the never dying aphids and this, it's hardly worth it. The house plants seem to have no problem, the pepper plants are so finnicky.

I hope that nursery place has the super hots in late May... and the weather gets better around here. Still too cold at night...

:(

Too bad worlok. That really stinks. I don't know in terms of the mixtures so I cannot help there. What county are you in? I am in Union and my plants are currently outside for good. The nursery you are referring to, is it cross country nurseries? They keep their website updated with what is still in stock...
http://www.chileplants.com/
I hope these bad experiences haven't turned you off for next season. Good luck with things.

Have you ever considered ordering lady bugs for pest control? If you have that many aphids the lady bugs would probably love you forever for setting them out a buffett line like that.

I got some neem oil for the bugs and it said 1 tablespoon per gallon so your mix may be a bit strong? I know how you feel on those aphids I've been spraying them daily a few weeks and thought I had them all so I didn't spray for the following week and notice a small amount again so I'm back to spraying daily. I should have passed on the Bhut I got locally when I saw the small flies close to the plant. :( Live and learn. Heck if I could find a good size Bhut to grow from now I'd probably toss my only problem plant now or at least give it to the neighbor I don't like as an gift!

Growing peppers isn't supposed to stress you bro--supposed to put you in a zen like trance of peace and tranquility. If you can't take it any more maybe you should just grow tomatoes. ;):P

Stick the darn things outside, water the heck out of them and see what happens. Good luck to you worlok. Oh and it's "can't" win.:P

I'm in NJ and I can't believe that the guy in Edison has his outside already. I had mine outside the other day in that wind and half the damn leaves blew off.

I don't believe it. After all that I find we still have that bottle of organic non toxic dish soap under the sink. Damn damn damn damn damn.

Well, if the plants survive I'll try that.....

To the other guy, yeah X country nurseries.

Worlok,
Mine were dying too. Don't give up. I'm not sure what to do about the aphids, but I hear ladybugs that have their wings stuck together with a mix of soda and water work well. For the leaf problems I suggest using garlic and cinnamon.

1. Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic
2. Put it in a pot and let it boil for an hour or so at moderate heat.
3. Let the garlic water cool until lukewarm
4. Strain
5. Water your plants with it
6. Sprinkle cinnamon around the stems of the plants.

I'll have pics of my plants soon

There aren't tons of aphids - it's that they keep coming back. I don't know where they are coming from but they are coming from somewhere...

That sounds like a weird approach, but I will take your word for it. I'll try it this weekend.

BTW when they are outside - do deer or other animals EAT pepper plants?

We have no fence and roaming deer come through here in the wee morning and late night hours.

Yes, deer eat pepper plants. I've had deer eat my plants down to the dirt, even with small peppers on them. Until one day I tossed out a nice mature red jalapeno to a deer. He never came back.;)

That means I have to get netting and some deer repellent or something they do not like the smell or taste of...

worlok said:
That means I have to get netting and some deer repellent or something they do not like the smell or taste of...

Ask any dog owners you know to save the hair they get when they brush the dog rather than throwing it away. Spread some of the hair around the outside of the garden. It's not foolproof, but it's easy and safe. My Uncle had a deer problem that my dog has nearly eliminated. Who knew shedding dogs could have an up side?

Edit for: the birds will also love you. They'll use it for nesting materiel.

worlok said:
BTW when they are outside - do deer or other animals EAT pepper plants?

We have no fence and roaming deer come through here in the wee morning and late night hours.

DAMN!!!.......i wish i was livin in an area like that!....i would intentionally grow peppers to attract the deer!! :rolleyes:

trinicoolieboy said:
DAMN!!!.......i wish i was livin in an area like that!....i would intentionally grow peppers to attract the deer!! :rolleyes:

It'd be good if I could kill them and get free meat, but that is illegal in a residential area. :P

Deer used to eat my peppers too when I used my garden by the woods. I mixed one teaspoon of Daves Insanity in a quart spray bottle with water and the deer didn't bother them after that. Make sure to spray downwind. The deer left my plants alone when they had pods on them. I just had Habaneros and Jalapenos back then.

I had a problem with bunnies last year eating everything I planted. Chopped a couple of habs up, put them in a quart of water and let it sit for a couple of days. Strained it, poured it into a spray bottle with a couple of drops of soap and sprayed the heck out of the plants. No more bunny problem.

It should work with deer too, their mammals just like us and capsaicin just loves to kick us mammals tails. Pray for the mammals.

Back