Can you eat pepper leaves?

Someone please inform me if it is possible to eat pepper leaves, do the leaves have any beneficial qualities. Are they safe to eat or is there some reason why i shouldnt eat the leaves. I'm trying to get the most out of my pepper plants.

I'm sure you could eat them and be ok, don't know what benifit they would have, the pepper pods would be the most beneficial

I have read somewhere that you can eat the pepper sprouts, and use them in salads. But, I have not heard of eating the leaves...

Yes pepper leaves can be eat :cool::
And some are eaven good... If i remember right pubescens are best... Just try and you find which one you like...
I don't know if these are any benefit but it definately not make any harm to you...

yes you can. according to an book I have at home, they are eaten in the Phillippines as a leafy vegetable but I can't verify that from first hand experience, only from reading. apparently most solanaceous plants (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, tobacco are solanaceous) have alkaloids in sufficiently high levels in their leaves but peppers do not.

maybe philipperv can advise on this one...

chilliman64 said:
yes you can. according to an book I have at home, they are eaten in the Phillippines as a leafy vegetable but I can't verify that from first hand experience, only from reading. apparently most solanaceous plants (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, tobacco are solanaceous) have alkaloids in sufficiently high levels in their leaves but peppers do not.

"an book"? :shocked:

I found this during a google search on something else but thought I'd share...

Chili leaves
The leaves of the chili pepper plant, which are mildly bitter, are cooked as greens in Filipino cuisine, where they are called dahon ng sili (literally "chili leaves"). They are often used in the chicken soup dish known as tinola.[1] In Korean cuisine, the leaves are also used to produce kimchi (풋고추잎 깍두기).[8]

Here is the link for the full article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_pepper

What a shame to eat the leaves off of a healthy plant!

I wonder if they are bitter enough to use instead of hops in my beer?

I may try to use them in my next chili beer! Maybe I will select my least favorite plant and sacrifice it to the beer gods.

I've used the rest of the plant after it has dried out as smoking wood to cook. Just once you put it on for smoking..... run away and stay away till it's done smoking.... It adds a nice distinct flavor too your food!

Reviving an OLD question.

The cats in my house won't touch the leaves on my pepper plants, but they chew up any other green plant.... devil animals....! Possibly because there is trace capsaicin in the plant itself? Kitties hate spice. They won't come near me after I've been chopping up peppers.

The thought of a hot pepper leaf salad has crossed my mind, but doing so would impead the growth of the peppers themself, so why do it!?

:dance:

Reviving an OLD question.

The cats in my house won't touch the leaves on my pepper plants, but they chew up any other green plant.... devil animals....! Possibly because there is trace capsaicin in the plant itself? Kitties hate spice. They won't come near me after I've been chopping up peppers.

The thought of a hot pepper leaf salad has crossed my mind, but doing so would impead the growth of the peppers themself, so why do it!?

:dance:

Not sure but I gave a few plants to a friend. On his way home one of the plants fell over . when he picked the plant up and put the dirt back he touched the leaves alot I guess and told me that after touching the leaves he touched his face and it started burning.
He also smokes and said his lips started burning.

All in his head or is there some capsaicin in the leaves?

in the philippines we use it to cook with for flavor.. i nearly flipped when the wife asked if she could prune some for her cooking!!!

Back