• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

CD, it has been 2 mos since I hijacked your thread, so, I'll do it again.  
Back to that Arequipa Giant - strong, healthy, easy plant.  Seemed to be rather water tolerant on both ends.  Fruit got bigger and hotter after that first harvest.  Ended up getting several racquetball size fruits off of it before I yanked it, bucketed, and put in the garage.  Frost came yesterday.  Maybe the 15 or so fruits still on will try to ripen enough before I have to give it a hard trim.  If not, green should still be good enough for poppers.  I'd say the heat is somewhere around 50K SHU.  Gonna try to overwinter, and should be a monster next year if it makes it.  This is probably my #2 for taste, and lots of uses.  Thanks for the pube advice.  

ftRuyRa.jpg

Hey Fishhead.  Hijack away.  I'm glad those turned out well for you.  It can definitely put out a good number of solid pods with favorable conditions and some foot room.  I've had some really good results, but I don't think I've yet seen its full potential.  Hopefully that one bangs it out off the park for you next season.  I regret not having one in my grow this year, as the taste & heat profile is one of my favorite for rocotos.

CaneDog said:

Tepin in general seem to require a very long season outside for me, but I have a good healthy one of you tx tepin I just brought inside.  It's from the (2013?) seeds you collected wild in Texas, which I think is great.  I pruned it back some and have it in a window for the time being, but it'll be one of a select few that gets cleaned up really well for bugs and put into active grow mode for the off-season season.  Thanks again for those seeds.  :thumbsup:    I'm psyched to get this one to ripe pods inside and then turn it loose outside next summer for production.  I'll get a pic or two of it up once it's in its new home..

Awesome, glad the seeds have worked out for you CD. And your experience sort of matches mine - that plant was the last to flower for me in my last grow and that was the reason I didn't start another one in my second round for 2020. It will be great to see how your plant does when it is given enough time to reach its potential. 

Anyway, it was my pleasure to share those seeds. I really don't have that much space to grow at the moment, so my seed selection (and plants I grow) is kind of limited but I'm happy to share what I have with people.

HM, here's a couple pics of the wild Texas tepin.  I cut back a couple/few taller main stems and just left one on the side where it has a flower. That way I can push it against a corner of the tent and it won't take too much space.  It expect it should be able to set a decent number of pods without growing too much vertically.

I didn't notice it until I took the close up, but the spikey leaves remind me of c. lanceolatum.

20201024 HM-TXTepin2013.jpg

20201024 HM-TXTepin2013F.jpg

fishhead said:
...Back to that Arequipa Giant...This is probably my #2 for taste....
Nice hi-jack Fish - lets keep it going. :P

So, what is your #1 for taste?

Nice pods by the way.

Aji Amarillo.
Great, bright taste, without being overpowering. Good heat (for me). Decent size, lots of uses. If a little more heat is desired, you can always add a little ghost or reaper without changing the flavor profile.
Nothing much better than an amarillo popper.

But, that Arequipa is a very close second for all the above reasons also.

My $0.02

CaneDog said:
It's going to be all about the indoor season here come Monday!
Yeah, CD, 27-29 here tonight.

I've got a few wilds in the greenhouse,
but the rest will have to sink or swim!

HeatMiser said:
I've been meaning to ask - how did the Tepins work out for you? Mine were just starting to flower when the dreaded mites took care of them. I'm thinking about giving them another try next year.
I snagged some of those from the seed train.

The Tepin went into a 20-gallon container with a
Yellow Pequin and a Cappuccino Chiltepin.

The Tepin beat the other two by six weeks when
coloring up the pods. Almost all the pods are ripe
now, and the Yellow Pequin and Cappuccino Chiltepin
followed later, with the CC just now having ripened
several brown pods. Hoping the Annuum v Glabriusculums
make it through the freeze tonite.

Speaking of Cap Tepin.. Should they look this yellow? The two shorties on the left. And, since it's here.. Going around counterclockwise are the Two Cap Tepin, then 2x Paul's Goatweed (had to bury them up again), two of my Sedona Sunrise ( scary right?), A KS White Thai, a now-flowering Red Thai, Pauls Purple Thunder (only purple stem I have now, leaves starting to color), and another flowering Red Thai. Aside from the ones Paul sent me and the Red Thai, these are pretty much seed from the Train last year. The Red Thai are Parson's share, and I look forward to growing some of the other ornamentals I got from him as well. I'm not sure if he's on here, I met him on FB. 
These were all started around the same time. 
aQnRvAml.jpg
21Czge6l.jpg

And here comes the snow! Boo!

fishhead said:
Nothing much better than an amarillo popper.

I have an aji amarillo from PaulG's stock with big fat peppers on it, but it podded up late and hasn't shown any yellow yet. If I can get some ripe ones, I'll definitely have to try some poppers  :)

PaulG said:
Yeah, CD, 27-29 here tonight.

I've got a few wilds in the greenhouse,
but the rest will have to sink or swim!

The Tepin beat the other two by six weeks when
coloring up the pods. Almost all the pods are ripe
now, and the Yellow Pequin and Cappuccino Chiltepin
followed later, with the CC just now having ripened
several brown pods. Hoping the Annuum v Glabriusculums
make it through the freeze tonite.

We had a good later run, Paul, but the weather had to get us eventually.  Good luck with the Av Glab - that greenhouse is a handy thing!   One day...  :)

CraftyFox said:
Speaking of Cap Tepin.. Should they look this yellow? The two shorties on the left. And, since it's here.. Going around counterclockwise are the Two Cap Tepin, then 2x Paul's Goatweed (had to bury them up again), two of my Sedona Sunrise ( scary right?), A KS White Thai, a now-flowering Red Thai, Pauls Purple Thunder (only purple stem I have now, leaves starting to color), and another flowering Red Thai. Aside from the ones Paul sent me and the Red Thai, these are pretty much seed from the Train last year. The Red Thai are Parson's share, and I look forward to growing some of the other ornamentals I got from him as well. I'm not sure if he's on here, I met him on FB. 
These were all started around the same time. 

And here comes the snow! Boo!

I can't see them perfectly, but they look healthy to me.  I wouldn't expect them to be too yellow, though.

Yeah, I'm not particularly stoked about the cold months coming, either.  It'll be nice to have some artificial sun and plants inside though the winter.

CD, I made some green amarillo poppers alongside some green jalapeno last night, and the heat for the amarillo was a little more, but the taste was fairly similar, but maybe a bit fruitier.  But, bacon negates some subtleties, of which my palate is none too good at detecting, according to some...

I still got about 50 green amarillo, so, hopefully the garage and the banana bag orange 'em up.  

CraftyFox said:
Speaking of Cap Tepin.. Should they look this yellow? The two shorties on the left.
My Cappuccino Chiltepin just about died early on.
Got real sickly and dropped all its leaves and stayed
that way until decent summer weather. Due to the late
start, I have only two ripe pods from it!

CaneDog said:

I have an aji amarillo from PaulG's stock with big fat peppers on it, but it podded up late and hasn't shown any yellow yet. If I can get some ripe ones, I'll definitely have to try some poppers  :)
I also have two of PaulG's Aji Amarillos growing. One is over five feet, the other around four. Both plants are beautiful and loaded with large GREEN pods. With a freeze coming, poppers may be in my future as well lol.

Those are some great looking pods, Eric!
I finally tried one of those Mini Brown.. Definitely looked ripe on the inside, beautiful red/brown color. There was some heat to it, but not a lot. Green pepper flavor with a little kick.. Like tiny fly. 
Not the worst tasting pepper I ever had. Just not sure where I'd use that flavor profile. Our Ridgeback seems to love them.. Probably would have ate the whole pod if I let her. 

I found a couple Mini Red seeds from Edmick (if I recall right) in the Train last year.. Hopefully one of them will sprout. My buddy is letting me use a good chunk of his plot next year for Notta Volante grow, but I think the homefront is going to be featuring more of the Pubescens. 

PaulG said:
Couldn't have said it better myself, Eric!

That girl is loaded! Do I see two stalks
in there?

Yeah Paul, one was an "accidental" (you know I'm crap at culling), but as it turns out there's as many thick pods on it as the "intentional" plant with the white fabric skirt!

I gotta wonder what I'd have gotten if they took off when the others did in May...

Back