• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

A few things from the indoor grow.

This is a Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F2 showing the purple-rimmed flowers the F1's had.  I'm starting to lean toward thinking this trait can be stabilized, though I've considered it could be a result of incomplete dominance of anthocyanin.  I haven't seen a completely purple flower yet, which is what the PJ had, though one of the F2's shows a completely white flower as well as no anthocyanin in the leaves.

20201103 JZxPJ_(Aa)6.jpg

20201103 JZxPJ_(Aa)4.jpg

20201103 JZxPJ_(Aa).jpg

This is a new pod forming on the no-antho F2.
20201103 JZxPJ_(Aa)3.jpg

This is the first pod to ripen from a late season volunteer, which I believe to be a Turkish Cayenne.  I've been trying to keep the plant small, but it wants to keep growing, which means I may need to remove it.  I'd prune it back, but I expect if I do I'll be fighting it for the next 6 months and I just don't have the room. 
20201103 TurkCayenne.jpg

And the newest additions are a few fish peppers - there's a hook that's hidden.  3 for 3, which means I really should cull at least one.
20201103 OFish.jpg

A few more pics of the inside action as I'm winding things down with the outside crew.  I'm using a new phone and I don't know yet how to adjust the white balance yet, so the 2700K T5HO bulb makes everything look really yellow.

The newest additions - CW from upper left are Lemon Spice Jalap's, Orange Fish, and Primotalii. All went 3/3.
20201109 LSOFPT.jpg

I cut back the Galapagoense as it was getting too big.  It's already shaping up to be bushy again, so I may have to prune out the center some once it gets going.
20201109 Galap.jpg

I'm OW growing only one Rocoto CAP 1242 x Eximium CAP 1491 F2 Rocopica from this season's F1 plants, so the chances of it ripening orange aren't great, but there's always hope.   One of the two USDA Cardenasii x Rocopica XL Brown F2's came in with brown pods this season - as did the one PaulG grew - so the odds aren't unbeatable.  BTW, this guy has as strong a perfume smell as any pepper I've grown, and so far it always gives off the smell, not just when the roots are dry.
20201109 1242x1491F2.jpg

Here's a Grocery Store Mystery (a brown chinense).  The plant sprouted super weak and twice I thought it was a goner.  It took a lot of special attention to keep it alive, but I had no other seeds.  Since the last transplant it's really started to take off.
20201109 GSM.jpg

Lastly, from the LED tent, which is mostly rocotos, I figured a ventilation pocket on the side of the tent might work well for hanging plants.  And since the rocotos like grow flat under the HLG100 4000K LED, I stuck a San Pedro Orange into the side of the tent. So far it's doing good.  De Seda on the left and XL Brown on the right beneath it.
20201108 HLG100TentVert.jpg

PaulG said:
How are you supporting the San Pedro Orange
in the ventilation pocket?

The little Galapagoense looks very healthy.  I was surprised by how aggressively it's growing back.  IIRC, I pruned it just a week ago.

The tent has a couple vent ports on each side made to go around metal duct pipe and then cinch down.  I just cinched one all the way down to turn it into an external pocket, which the container sits in.  I'll probably have to remove it for any thorough watering, but other than that it's working well.  Rocoto ivy for the wall! - well, I'm hoping anyway.  :)

20201109 TentPouch.jpg

post-3588-0-17001000-1604982271_thumb.jpg

Looking good CD.  As you might remember, I cut my galapagoense back also but haven't seen any new growth.  Hope I didnt kill it!  Ive successfully done the same with peppers in the past (bonchi Datil most recently) and had good luck.  Time will tell.

I also see you started a primotalii.  Looking for a little extra heat?  I saw Johnny Scoville try one of those and he said it was the hottest pepper he had tried. (at the time anyway)  I hope you get a good phenotype from it.  

Tybo said:

Looking good CD.  As you might remember, I cut my galapagoense back also but haven't seen any new growth.  Hope I didnt kill it!  Ive successfully done the same with peppers in the past (bonchi Datil most recently) and had good luck.  Time will tell.

I also see you started a primotalii.  Looking for a little extra heat?  I saw Johnny Scoville try one of those and he said it was the hottest pepper he had tried. (at the time anyway)  I hope you get a good phenotype from it.  

Thanks Tybo.  I'd heard the Primotalii were on the warm side.  With all 3 seeds popping it seems my chances at a favorable pheno will be better than I expected - though my available indoor space will be less.  I like the overwinter indoor grows for these types because the indoor conditions seems to throw pretty dependable pheno's and with that level of heat, I don't need very many pods.

The galapagoense probably sprung back as quickly as it did because it's always been indoors in warm, consistent conditions.  Not having to go through any environmental adjustment kept it chugging right along.

Well, some stragglers continue to limp in, but I thinks it's as good a time as any to close down my glog for the 2020 season.  Thanks to all who contributed, whether with seeds or otherwise.  I'll make my last picture post of this King BOC.  Despite 2 previous unsuccessful efforts (failure to thrive and crossed seeds) I managed to get this one to the finish line - shout out of thanks to Mildfruit for the seeds and support!

Next up is the off-season season, which will include several varieties that didn't finish up fully outside - after due clean-up and quarantine - as well as some new starts.  Should be a good breather before the craziness starts up again with the new year.
Cheers   :cheers:
CD

King BOC
20201114 KBOC.jpg

PaulG said:
Getting there myself, my friend! Still a
couple of greenhouse plants to deal with.

Not sure I'm going to start the 2021
season on Jan 1 or not.

BOC looks awesome. What sized pot?

I was happy with how it turned out and the pods from MF's seeds are just what I'd hoped for.  It's in a 2 gallon pot that's a little bigger than a nursery 2 gallon.  I've scaled back on pot size as I've added more varieties/pants to my grow and most of my container plants at home are in nursery 3's or smaller.  They still seem to produce well  - not that I'm telling you anything there given your success with the 3g's! 

Back