• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2021

Well, here we go again.  The indoor offseason got away from me around the turn of the year, so I decided to shut things down and start clean with the new outdoor season. 

I dropped all the wilds, rocotos, baccatum, chinense and frutescens earlier this month and, excepting wilds, pretty much everything is up and growing.  One thing I did different this year was I didn't presoak seeds, except for a few wilds.  I checked the days-to-germinate for the first round varieties against how they did last year and, based on a quick look, it seems they were generally maybe a couple days slower, which is about what I'd expect.

Today, I transplanted all the baccatum (except Berry Amarillo) plus a few Moz Piri Piri (thanks Tybo!), which are sitting on top of the lights until they root in a bit and can go back below. 
20210228 T54 Tent.jpg

I'm upping my tomato game this season - or at least increasing the varieties.  Usually I just grow San Marzano and Moskvich, maybe the occasional other.  This season I'm branching out a bit more with the varieties, which include Black Krim and Opalka from Dragonsfire and a bunch from Sandia.  I figure tomatoes usually germinate easy enough, so I just stuck them in a humidome toward the back of the T5HO tent where I hope they'll be happy. 
20210228 Tomatoes.jpg

The other big task today was dropping all the annuum into the Coleman.  After this annuum round I'll have just a final 2 varieties I'm waiting for in the mail, then I'll be done starting peppers for the season.
20210228 GermAnnuun.jpg

The last bit of news is I lucked out and will have access to two 10' x 40' plots at the community garden this year, which will include the better-located one that was new to me last year.  I was concerned I'd have access to only 1 this season, which would have significantly decreased my grow.  Anyhow, I'm super happy to have all that space and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it seem like not quite enough ;)

Thanks to all who contributed seeds and otherwise to my grow this year.  I hope everyone blows the doors off it this summer!

CD

wiriwiri said:
Good luck with the new acquisition @ the CG and hope for a bountiful crop & good weather.I grow the Opalka tomato each yr..it's a winner.

I admit I don't know this variety, but for what the Internet tells me it might be a good alternative to San Marzano. I might try next winter :) Thanks for the tip.

Awesome CD, I'm buckling up and will be along for the ride - looking forward to following your journey again and wish you all the best for the season. Nice varieties and I'm sure that 2nd plot (different location this time by the sounds of it?) will help bring production to great heights! :)

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Thanks, LP.  Hope things are well and good to have you aboard.

Things continue to creep along, but the pace will pick up soon.  Everything has sprouted now except a handful of wild varieties and an annuum variety notoriously slow to pop. 

I'll have a lot of transplanting to do over the next few week and, unfortunately, I'm down to my last couple 3.5" containers.  Amazon has been stocked out for a while and I haven't located this type elsewhere.  If they don't get them back soon I'll probably change horses to Solo cups, but I'd been hoping to use these this season - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FL1SE7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 because they're more stable and manageable, plus they're sturdy enough they should last for years.

Not much of interest yet - just lots of sprouts - but here's a Piri Piri (Zimbabwe/African Devil variety) showing a good amount of Anthocyanin, which they generally seem to lack.
20200313 PiriPirZimAD.jpg

And here's a few Wiri Wiri just for grins - they're sharing a container for the time being due to the current shortage.
20200313 WiriWiri.jpg

A little update.  Things are starting to pick up speed.  I've done about 50 transplants already and set up the second tent with the 6-bulb T5HO.  I have only the outer two bulbs in it at the moment, as I'm running out of useable bulbs - but that's probably okay for keeping the intensity down for a few days following transplant.  I'll need to find a good source of T5HO 6500K bulbs, as the most recent ones I bought weren't of good quality.

Here's the newly setup tent, already reaching capacity.
20210316 TransplantTent.jpg

I went through and aggressively culled sprouts in anticipation of getting the rest potted up over then next week or so.  Amazon finally got the 3.5 containers back in stock so I picked up a couple orders.  Things are looking much more manageable in the nursery tent after the last round of transplants and culling.
20210316 PostCullNurseryTent.jpg

One more picture.  This is  Florida Datil from seeds Tybo sent me.  It forked immediately and has two symmetrical sets of true leaves.  I needed to cull one of the Datil, so I transplanted up the one with the two sets of true leaves as the more interesting of the two.
20210314 Datil.jpg

ahayastani said:
Curious... I wasn't familiar with this early-forking habit, but I have two plants myself in my grow this year. Hopefully a good omen for plentiful harvest :D

From what I've seen you seem headed for a bountiful harvest all around.  Hopefully the Datils will follow suit.  I had a hard time culling the second Datil, so much so I left it with a little soil around it's roots just in case.  I'm on the fence still as to whether I'll rescue it and grow out both for a bigger harvest.  I've "dumpster dived" to recoup culls in the past and I'm not above doing it again.   :D

PaulG said:
Very impressive, my friend! You gonna
fill that community garden space! Looks
like over a hundred plants!

I'm sure no available plant space will go unfilled.  I'm really looking forward to putting the new/better community garden plot to good use this year.  About 85% of the 400 SF will get a full day of sun and the drainage looks good too. 

Now, if only the weather will cooperate ;)

Oh boy it sure looks like you've been busy CD! Can't wait to see those plots of yours later in the season.

CaneDog said:

I had a hard time culling the second Datil, so much so I left it with a little soil around it's roots just in case.  I'm on the fence still as to whether I'll rescue it and grow out both for a bigger harvest.  I've "dumpster dived" to recoup culls in the past and I'm not above doing it again.   :D

Lol! this must be your way of stressing the plants to make sure you get hotter pods! We all know you're keeping both Datils ;)

Anyway, more rain on the forecast. Hopefully it'll clear up soon!

Things are progressing nicely CD. I hope the weather cooperates and you can hit your plant-out date, otherwise you're gonna be eyeballs-deep, lol.

That Florida Datil sure is a healthy little forker! Funny, that's what I call my house cat wen he makes a break for it out the door, but that's for another thread. :lol:

Things are looking good CD.  I'll put in a vote that you get some awesome weather there in the PNW.
I'll also put in a vote to keep the second datil plant.  Never know what might happen and besides, they are a very good pepper!  

+1 everybody who said grow the second Datil.

You could put both plants in a larger container
like Skullbiker does   :think:

This is a variety I have to grow again. They did
very well for me here in the PNW. My seeds
originally came from Romy6 in Florida. Great
stock, viable and productive. It used to be a big
part of my yellow blend powders. I remember
them being hotties.

Definitely grow the 2nd Datil   :D

Pic from 2015 3rd pic down
ditto 5th pic down
also scroll down

PaulG said:
+1 everybody who said grow the second Datil.

You could put both plants in a larger container
like Skullbiker does   :think:

This is a variety I have to grow again. They did
very well for me here in the PNW. My seeds
originally came from Romy6 in Florida. Great
stock, viable and productive. It used to be a big
part of my yellow blend powders. I remember
them being hotties.

Definitely grow the 2nd Datil   :D

Pic from 2015 3rd pic down
ditto 5th pic down
also scroll down

Your Datils certainly are larger than I thought they were...  :shocked:
I have a plantlet myself, seeds from TexasHP. I'd be very happy if my Datils reach that size...

Back