• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2021

Well, here we go again.  The indoor offseason got away from me around the turn of the year, so I decided to shut things down and start clean with the new outdoor season. 

I dropped all the wilds, rocotos, baccatum, chinense and frutescens earlier this month and, excepting wilds, pretty much everything is up and growing.  One thing I did different this year was I didn't presoak seeds, except for a few wilds.  I checked the days-to-germinate for the first round varieties against how they did last year and, based on a quick look, it seems they were generally maybe a couple days slower, which is about what I'd expect.

Today, I transplanted all the baccatum (except Berry Amarillo) plus a few Moz Piri Piri (thanks Tybo!), which are sitting on top of the lights until they root in a bit and can go back below. 
20210228 T54 Tent.jpg

I'm upping my tomato game this season - or at least increasing the varieties.  Usually I just grow San Marzano and Moskvich, maybe the occasional other.  This season I'm branching out a bit more with the varieties, which include Black Krim and Opalka from Dragonsfire and a bunch from Sandia.  I figure tomatoes usually germinate easy enough, so I just stuck them in a humidome toward the back of the T5HO tent where I hope they'll be happy. 
20210228 Tomatoes.jpg

The other big task today was dropping all the annuum into the Coleman.  After this annuum round I'll have just a final 2 varieties I'm waiting for in the mail, then I'll be done starting peppers for the season.
20210228 GermAnnuun.jpg

The last bit of news is I lucked out and will have access to two 10' x 40' plots at the community garden this year, which will include the better-located one that was new to me last year.  I was concerned I'd have access to only 1 this season, which would have significantly decreased my grow.  Anyhow, I'm super happy to have all that space and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it seem like not quite enough ;)

Thanks to all who contributed seeds and otherwise to my grow this year.  I hope everyone blows the doors off it this summer!

CD

Real nice CD, I like your set up, simple and effective. Definitely going to follow to see how those datils turn out. I've never tried one, but the descriptions make them sound like pretty tasty pods.

stettoman said:
Hey 'Dog, don't let 'em push you around like that, they'll think you a softie...  Unfortunately, they've already figured that out.  I've been a little better this year, but not as good as I planned.

Nice grow management, man. 

Hey Stetto.  Hope things are going well for you with the start of the season.  Do you have lots of your Oro planted?

Kramer said:
Real nice CD, I like your set up, simple and effective. Definitely going to follow to see how those datils turn out. I've never tried one, but the descriptions make them sound like pretty tasty pods.

Thanks, Kramer.  It's been cool seeing what you have happening in your glog - those chinense leaves in your most recent pic's look awesome!

I grew the Datil only once before - just 1 small plant and a good while ago - so I'll be pretty much learning about them during this grow too.  I got the seeds from Tybo who says they're the real deal, so I feel good about that.  I also found some datil-specific sauce recipes online I plan to try after harvest.

CaneDog said:

Hey Stetto.  Hope things are going well for you with the start of the season.  Do you have lots of your Oro planted?

Yeah, I have Oro planted. Along with a few of your other Rocoto seed offerings.

My crop will be mighty small this year, in fact I just got seeds soaking in the kerosene/formaldehyde sauce just last night, really, really late. I have a total of ten varieties, 6 of them Pubes. Some are from you, one from Dale (TGCM) from a few years back, and then some Big Jims from Sandia, Chimayo, Hernandez Hot, and Nambe Pueblo all from Mike/Harry_Dangler. I'm going to grow his tomato this year too, looks too yummy to pass on.

But that's it for peppers. We just got back from CO and settling my daughter in, left there the day before Snowmageddon. Now we're working to get US out there, targeting the fall sometime, if the world can hold together that long...

So don't look for a glog from me this season, though I'll pop in to harass you guys now and again...

stettoman said:
So don't look for a glog from me this season, though I'll pop in to harass you guys now and again...
You better, dude!

Congrats on getting your daughter settled, and
good luck pulling together a move to CO!

stettoman said:
We just got back from CO and settling my daughter in, left there the day before Snowmageddon. Now we're working to get US out there, targeting the fall sometime, if the world can hold together that long...

+1 to Paul.  It's great to hear that the move is getting done. Lots of sunny days there and should be a strong pepper climate.  Maybe no glog this season, but your next year's CO glog should be something awesome. 

Hope those seeds sprout well and quickly.  I'd wanted to grow the Chimayo this year myself, but had so many other varieties committed it got edged out.  I've read they make a great red sauce.  Next year.  :)   Think I'll try growing those Oro next year too.  As many rocotos as I've grown it's hard to believe I haven't tried those before.

stettoman said:
We found an area to be in, south of CO Springs on the west side of Ft Carson. Sticker shock to come...But it's as close to the Arkansas River Valley as I can talk my wife into. She no like Pueblo....

Before I met my wife and got married, I was making plans to leave the country. There were basically three options: begin a private tour guide company in either Sri Lanka or Armenia, or go live off-grid in the USA. In case of USA, I was specifically looking for either Oregon or... Colorado. So I really want to see your GLOG there :D

I popped a few new bulbs into my T5HO fixtures and the increase in light intensity was more than I expected.  By day two I was starting to see curl in the grow, especially with the less established plants, so I backed off the lights a good bit more.  The scotch bonnets seemed to love it though, as did a good few of the other chinense. Differing opinions among the rest.

For bonnets types this year I started papa dreadie, beth boyd and a scotch brain.  I also I have an OW Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Long chilling in my south facing kitchen window.  Not many, but hopefully enough for some decent production.

Beth Boyd - These guys have produced a super classic pod shape for me in previous seasons.
20210327 BBoyd.jpg

Dreadie - Big plants with lots of production, but always seem to push ripening to the last minute
20210327 Dreadie.jpg

Scotch Brain - These are of the stumpy bumpy variety versus the longer more 7 pot shape.
20210327 ScotchBrain.jpg

Good looking bonnets there CD.  I'll be watching there progress.  Especially the Beth Boyds.  Were yours yellow?  I grew some last year (along with some other people here) that were red.  The pod shape was awesome (in my photo to the left) with a very UFO shape.  I saved seeds and have one planted again this year just to see what color I get!  No scotch brains but I do have a Papa Dreadie growing.
I have about decided that my T5HO lights are too intense for my shelves.  (I cant get enough distance between plants and lights)   Right now I only have two bulbs in each fixture.  One 6500K and one 4100K in each.  Im still getting some leaf curl but not as bad.  Ive even moved some taller plants to another room and have them under full spectrum led lights with lots of head space.  I really need to dismantle the shelving unit and remove a couple shelves so I can get more distance there.

Hey Tybo.  Thanks, I'm a fan of the big leaves with the bubbly look.  Bonnets are generally a great example of that.

Yep, the BBoyds were dead on pheno and yellow so I'm hoping to maintain a stock of true seeds.  I remember the BB Reds from your glog and they're an interesting twist on the original.  Really surprising that they crossed out and held the shape so well.  Do I remember correctly that they had a good bonnet flavor, too?  I'll be curious to how well they hold shape and color in the F2 generation.

My last batch of replacement T5HO's were poor quality and I suppose I forgot just how intense the bulbs can be.  I backed them off a good bit when I swapped in the replacement bulbs this time, but it simply wasn't enough so I moved them even more. It may work better to go back to 2 bulbs each, instead of 3, while still maintaining a reasonable distance given how strong these new ones are.  It's going to take a little tinkering to get everything right again.

Nice, healthy plants, CD!  

I need to replace my T5HO lamps, they
are the original tubes. The 2x4 are 8 years
old, the 4x4 a bit newer. Where do your
source your bulbs?

PaulG said:
I need to replace my T5HO lamps, the are the original tubes. The 2x4 are 8 years old, the 4x4 a bit newer. Where do your source your bulbs?

The original bulbs in the fixtures lasted a very long time.  The first replacements I bought online were of good enough quality at first, but lost intensity very quickly.  This time I bought a different brand through Amazon.  The reviews weren't very helpful, so I went with these based on the quick shipping time - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01731MM90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're super intense - out of the gate at least - and they were well-packaged.  All 5 bulbs arrived in good working condition.  Hopefully they last a reasonable while, but at the price it's not terrible if they don't.

Those look good. A 20,000 hour rating isn't shabby.
8 hours a day would be just under 3000 hours a year,
so that would be a 6-7 year life span. I doubt my T5's
have been on that much.

CaneDog said:

The original bulbs in the fixtures lasted a very long time.  The first replacements I bought online were of good enough quality at first, but lost intensity very quickly.  This time I bought a different brand through Amazon.  The reviews weren't very helpful, so I went with these based on the quick shipping time - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01731MM90/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're super intense - out of the gate at least - and they were well-packaged.  All 5 bulbs arrived in good working condition.  Hopefully they last a reasonable while, but at the price it's not terrible if they don't.

I was going to ask about the bulbs you buy CD, since I haven't had an issue with light intensity from T5s even when the plants are a couple of inches from the fixture. I'm using the same lights you posted, but in the 2ft long version. So far so good...

PaulG said:
Those look good. A 20,000 hour rating isn't shabby.
8 hours a day would be just under 3000 hours a year,
so that would be a 6-7 year life span. I doubt my T5's
have been on that much.

In my experience, T5s last about 1 grow season before they burn out. Maybe I haven't been lucky, but I've never been able to stretch their lifespan much more than that. That's the main reason why I switched to LEDs.

HeatMiser said:
In my experience, T5s last about 1 grow season before they burn out. Maybe I haven't been lucky, but I've never been able to stretch their lifespan much more than that. That's the main reason why I switched to LEDs.
That is really odd. My T5s have lasted much longer,
but the tubes are starting to get shadows on the ends.
Sure sign death throes are coming. If I had to replace
12 4' lamps every year, I'd probably opt out of the
indoor growing. 

HeatMiser said:

This is what I experienced with the last batch I bought online.  They seemed fine at first (though maybe not quite as good as the original ones), but then they degraded quickly.  There was a significant difference in lifespan between the original bulbs and the replacement set.  I've found the T5HO's very good for starter plants as when they're working at optimum they provide both a good growth spectrum at 6500K and warmth to get peppers ready for plant out.  I haven't found my LED (HLG100 4000K) to be as versatile, though I haven't used it a lot yet and am still getting used to it.

PaulG said:
That is really odd. My T5s have lasted much longer, but the tubes are starting to get shadows on the ends.  Sure sign death throes are coming. If I had to replace 12 4' lamps every year, I'd probably opt out of the indoor growing. 

I'd like to find replacement bulbs that have the lifespan of the originals that came with my fixtures (Sunleaves Pioneer IV and VI fixtures), but so far I haven't. Many of the negative comments on Amazon are that the bulbs become dim too quickly - though these tend to be from people running long light cycles year-around versus shorter periods of prepping plants to go outside.  I don't expect these bulbs to last their rated life of 20K hours, but if I could get around 2 seasons' worth of growing my starts and some miscellaneous other use I'd be happy - so, maybe +/- 6K hours?  Also, with the strength of these bulbs I won't use more than 2 or 3 in a fixture when they're at full power, so that means I'm not swapping out as many bulbs.

Back