• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog - Off-Season Season 2018/19

Thought I'd post a few pics of what I have going on indoors this off-season.  I used to do a winter indoor grow about every season, but this will be my first in a couple years now.  I went a bit over-board with the number of plants, as usual, but I've culled a few already and I have expansion room if needed.

I'm using a handy little extra walk-in closet to start things out. Keeps temp well and makes it easy to chill and work with the plants.

20181008_PWalk30.jpg

Most everything's potted up into 1g Boxer Browns now.  Here's a few of this season's players.

Baha Goat
_20181119_BGoat.jpg

Fatalii
_20181119_Fatty.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White - topped it early on as it was already wanting to branch like crazy
_20181119_BJWhiteTopped.jpg

Butch T
_20181119_TScorpBT2.jpg

Kathumby starting to bud up
_20181119_Kathumby.jpg

And this guy is a 7 Pot White that sprouted late right up against another plant, so I yanked it out.  It had what seemed like only about 2mm of root still attached, but I stuck it in Kratky and it not only survived but seems fairly happy.
_20181119_7PW_KratkyTop.jpg

CD

CDNmatt said:
Those pics are absolutely fantastic Red  :clap: :clap: ...I am also just amazed at the grafting you do and its something I really want to try  later this summer with some of my tomatos. Be prepared to have your brain picked sir :thumbsup:

Thanks Matt.  Most of the plants seem to be cooperating at the moment and it looks like I'm going to getting some mini-harvests soon.

Cool about the toms.  I'm considering grafting a pepper onto Sungold tomato rootstock this spring.  The Sungolds just grow the doors off in my climate and I'd like to harness that vigor and see what effect it would have on a scion from a slower-developing and ripening pepper.  Plan would be to start the pepper a little sooner so by the time the Sungold catches up and matches it's stem circumference they're at the proper size, then hopefully the tomato root stock starts pumping it's PED's up into the pepper.  Might be cool to leave a couple tomato nodes below the graft to get both fruiting on the same plant.  

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
I agree with matty, your graft was freakin flawless bro :clap:
I may actually try it this year

I say go for it.  It's really easy and its a space saver, because you're getting two plants out of one space - and if you get lucky with the "STC hybridization" maybe 3 plants out of one space!

Forgot to ask, are the scotch brains any good?

Definitely!

Oh and what about kathumby? Looks good, hot or not?

Oh and matty, nobody punks the water boy :flamethrower:
PT :hot:

I wont booger up your Glog again diggity dog

It's supposed to be hot.  I got it more as a hobby grow than for the production.  I've never grown it before and really wasn't that familiar with it when I got it - was expecting it to stay dark versus going bright red.

Blitz527 said:
Man, I will follow this for sure. You may have answered already but what kind of camera are you using, those pics are pretty amazing. And did you go into details about the graft? How does that work??

Hey Blitz.  Thanks for checking things out.  Here's the link to my post on the wedge graft process.  It's super simple.  The bag worked really well as a humidity dome and after about a week it was off and running on its own.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70211-canedog-off-season-season-201819/?p=1595627

Pictures are some from a DSLR and some from my phone.

It's been 11 days now since I planted my main batch of rocoto seeds and I've finally been getting a little activity.  They're a little slower than ususally, but the ones that have come up are showing good %'s.

Rocoto De Seda sprouted 3/3 starting day 8, so 100% on them.
20190124%20DeSeda850.jpg

Rocoto Costa Rica Red hooked 2 today, so 2/3 so far.  These guys are from a plant I overwintered a couple years in a row now that produces a thinner triangular shaped pod, rather than the multi-lobed Costa Rica Reds I grew from different seed this last season. Both varieties are good, but I'm really hoping these grow true so I can stock up with some isolated seed.
20190124%20CRR(P)850.jpg

Finally, 2019's current germination record holder, Aji Ayuyo. 3/3 hooks on day 5.  Bam!  That's how it should happen.
20190124%20AjiAyuyo850.jpg

Still have a full germination chamber, so I'm really hoping the rest get it in gear before it's time to start the Chinense.
CD

A few more of the rocotos showed up this morning, so now have representatives from Aji Largo, De Seda, CRR (pendant), and my GR Variant. Waiting only for a San Isidro to pop from the first group, then I planted some Rojo San Camilla and Large Yellow Rocotos more recently. 

There's some others I'd like to add :rolleyes: but with so on my grow list already I need to cut back where I can.

CaneDog said:
It's been 11 days now since I planted my main batch of rocoto seeds and I've finally been getting a little activity.  They're a little slower than ususally, but the ones that have come up are showing good %'s.

Rocoto De Seda sprouted 3/3 starting day 8, so 100% on them.
20190124%20DeSeda850.jpg

Rocoto Costa Rica Red hooked 2 today, so 2/3 so far.  These guys are from a plant I overwintered a couple years in a row now that produces a thinner triangular shaped pod, rather than the multi-lobed Costa Rica Reds I grew from different seed this last season. Both varieties are good, but I'm really hoping these grow true so I can stock up with some isolated seed.
20190124%20CRR(P)850.jpg

Finally, 2019's current germination record holder, Aji Ayuyo. 3/3 hooks on day 5.  Bam!  That's how it should happen.
20190124%20AjiAyuyo850.jpg

Still have a full germination chamber, so I'm really hoping the rest get it in gear before it's time to start the Chinense.
CD
Dude, you have some pretty handwriting :dance:
I might send ya some cut blinds, a sharpie and you just write all my tags :cheers:

stc3248 said:
So you start your chinenses after your pubes??? I always start the chinenses first. Little ones are looking good, no helmet heads. You must plant them deep enough, 

Normally I start them at the same time, and a little later than this, but I'm changing things up a bit this year due to space & logistics.  I'm going to try to migrate the pubes to a south window location and get them outside a little earlier this year, bringing them back inside at night if it gets too cold. Will have to wait longer for warmer weather before getting the other peppers out of the grow rooms.

I've been super happy with the results on HH's this year.  With the exception of wild peppers, I can remember only 1 or 2 and they were just barely hanging on - easy to just pull off with fingers (not really HH's in my book).  I am planting a bit deeper and i think that really helps.  The seeds don't seem to be having any trouble reaching the surface - even the tiny ones - as my germination rates remain quite high.

Those 3 Aji Ayuyo hooks at once. That's gotta make you happy.
I just caught up on 2 pages. The pods look great. I just started WM Peach Bhut, and I'm anxious for them too.

CaneDog said:
Cool about the toms.  I'm considering grafting a pepper onto Sungold tomato rootstock this spring.  The Sungolds just grow the doors off in my climate and I'd like to harness that vigor and see what effect it would have on a scion from a slower-developing and ripening pepper.  Plan would be to start the pepper a little sooner so by the time the Sungold catches up and matches it's stem circumference they're at the proper size, then hopefully the tomato root stock starts pumping it's PED's up into the pepper.  Might be cool to leave a couple tomato nodes below the graft to get both fruiting on the same plant. 

Hey 'Dog what's this term PED?

Mr. West said:
Those 3 Aji Ayuyo hooks at once. That's gotta make you happy.

Yes it does.  I can get a bit anxious if things sit too long without sprouting.

I just caught up on 2 pages. The pods look great. I just started WM Peach Bhut, and I'm anxious for them too.

Hey 'Dog what's this term PED?

Performance Enhancing Drugs!

Looking for those illegitimate gains.

I tried the pepper/tomato graft and failed. If you don't get the pepper to stick to the tomato roots...my next try would be onto Manzano/Rocoto root stock. I've had Manzano root systems almost 10' across...some baccatums grow good roots as well. Really hoping the tomato roots stick though, you look to have a much better hand at it than I. 

MarcV said:
Does growing pepper on tomato roots have any advantage?

Well, I suppose that's the question I'd be looking to answer. I know rootstock in general can effect a variety of traits in the resulting hybrid, such as yield, plant size, disease resistance, cold tolerance, fruit quality, and soil adaption.  A broad advantage is simply vigor from a stronger or more soil-suitable root system.  For tomato rootstock, I'm most interested in how quickly some tomatoes establish vigorous root systems and whether this might help speed up the pepper's maturation process for longer-developing types and get me earlier production.  Then again, there's a healthy dose of just "cool to try" mixed in here as well.  Because sungold is so vigorous, maybe it will get me bigger plants faster and/or earlier production. Or maybe the tomato and pepper aren't compatible enough that the resulting hybrid is better off than if it was simply grown on its own rootstock.

Going beyond your question, two other things I'd to investigate are effects on longevity/plant size and cold-tolerance, but these would be pepper-on-pepper grafts. Rocoto rootstock is very interesting (as STC points out, above)  and so is flexuosum. We'll see. Just ideas at this point, and I often seem to have more ideas than time.  :rolleyes:

stc3248 said:
I tried the pepper/tomato graft and failed.

[SIZE=11pt]Yep, I know it's been done, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy or that I'll even be able to do it! [/SIZE]

stc3248 said:
If you don't get the pepper to stick to the tomato roots... my next try would be onto Manzano/Rocoto root stock. I've had Manzano root systems almost 10' across...some baccatums grow good roots as well. Really hoping the tomato roots stick though, you look to have a much better hand at it than I. 

[SIZE=11pt]As usual STC you're already a step ahead.  Rocoto rootstock is definitely on my list.  I'd actually been thinking of some of the slower developing and ripening baccatums as scions to accelerate with grafting, but you're right, they grow some huge plants and root systems as well.  My bishops crown were crazy vigorous this last season, but they took their time initially in getting there.  Also ripened very slowly, though not as slowly as my aji panca.[/SIZE]

CaneDog said:

[SIZE=11pt]Yep, I know it's been done, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy or that I'll even be able to do it! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]As usual STC you're already a step ahead.  Rocoto rootstock is definitely on my list.  I'd actually been thinking of some of the slower developing and ripening baccatums as scions to accelerate with grafting, but you're right, they grow some huge plants and root systems as well.  My bishops crown were crazy vigorous this last season, but they took their time initially in getting there.  Also ripened very slowly, though not as slowly as my aji panca.[/SIZE]

I have gone through several reads where a tomater root stock was used to graft peppers on to, as well some were also grafted into the branches to have both fruits on one plant. I do not recall what was used for the graft though, I just found it extremely interesting and would love to see one of you pro's figure it out.

CDNmatt said:

I have gone through several reads where a tomater root stock was used to graft peppers on to, as well some were also grafted into the branches to have both fruits on one plant. I do not recall what was used for the graft though, I just found it extremely interesting and would love to see one of you pro's figure it out.

Happy to see how things are progressing in your glog matt. Cool to follow it with all you're doing and I hope that second send of seeds arrives soon.  Man, it seemed like there were even more issues than usual with shipping around the Holidays this year.

If I get nothing else out of it I'd like to at least see both tomatoes and peppers on the same plant.  I'll simply leave a couple nodes on the rootstock below the graft though, because of the bigger PITA to wedge graft more horizontally on a branch.

CaneDog said:

Happy to see how things are progressing in your glog matt. Cool to follow it with all you're doing and I hope that second send of seeds arrives soon.  Man, it seemed like there were even more issues than usual with shipping around the Holidays this year.

If I get nothing else out of it I'd like to at least see both tomatoes and peppers on the same plant.  I'll simply leave a couple nodes on the rootstock below the graft though, because of the bigger PITA to wedge graft more horizontally on a branch.

Thanks Red appreciate that eh....Its pretty fun to keep it updated and check on everyone else throughout the day, its somethign I look forward to actually.

The next few days may be abit of a challenge..the furnace crapped out lat night and its still pretty damn cold for a few more days at least...sitting below -30C still at almost mid day which is pretty bad. Our nights have been mid -30s for the past 2 weeks but at least getting into the mid to low minus 20s which really helps. Anyways there actually is a point to all that blabber.....with the furnace down we are just running space heaters (even had to oven open)so keeping the seedlings warm enough is a big concern. It is fine with the lights on but during the day I needed to hang some big ugly blankets across the front of the shelf. It was just about 9C in the house when I woke up and found the damn thing broken.

And good call I didn't even think of the horizontal wedge but that would certainly help with that issue...Gawd I hope you really give that a good go and get it to work, would love to see it.

Back