Canedog ‘Tis the Season Seasonal Seed Give-Away

CaneDog

Extreme Member
It’s the Holiday season and the timing seems good to make a small gesture recognizing THP camaraderie and generosity during 2018.  My seeds stocks aren’t their best ATM, but I have decent quantities of a few cool and/or isolated varieties to share.

Here’s what I’m thinking.  No SASE/SASBE required.  If you qualify, just post and you’re in.  I’ll confirm and seeds will go out at the end - ends this Friday or when the spots are taken. Please request a variety only if you’re really interested in growing it; the point is that this be simple and fun.

I don’t want to skip international friends, but I don’t want to send 20 international shipments either, so I’ll offer 3 international spots.  Caveat though, shipping must be reasonable and straightforward – no Antarctica growers!  - no Sherpa-courier-service-required deliveries!  International will require 1 year THP or that one of us has posted [edit:  or "liked"] in a thread of the other.

Finally, one variety per customer, unless…  Bonus Seeds!
1. Anyone can have a dozen ISO Brazilian Starfish seeds added to their shipment of other seeds (while supplies last).
2.  If you posted in the “Show Us Your Pubes!” thread during 2018 (great thread TGCM!) and get one of the Rocoto spots, just ask for both varieties and you got ‘em!

Brazilian Starfish.  First 5 with < 1 year THP.  I grew these isolated at a house with no next-door neighbors with gardens. The only peppers near them were Rocotos, but if you somehow beat science and get a Baccatum/Rocoto cross then I want dibs on some seeds!

Aleppo RFM.  First 3 with > 6 months THP.  Seeds from Aleppo pods I bought at the Redmond Farmers Market this year. Grown at a local organic farm. Probably not isolated – I’ll isolate these in 2019.  Very nice flavor.

Hamadan Red.  First 3 with > 1 year THP.  Grown non-isolated from first generation seeds an acquaintance brought over from Hamadan, Iran. I was told they are THE pepper of Hamadan.  I’ve searched, but I haven’t been able to find this variety anywhere, so I’ll just call it “Hamadan Red.” Wish I could share isolated seed, but I have only one pod’s worth of iso.

Rocoto Costa Rica Red.  First 3 who’ve previously made a Rocoto-related post during 2018.  These are very likely true seed, as they were grown in my front yard, which is very separate from my back yard where I grew only Arequipa Giant Rocotos. These are a lobed variety, looking somewhat like a Manzana, not like the more common "V" shaped variety of Costa Rican Rocoto. Plant growth is similar to the common variety, with more symmetrical branching than sprawling growth.

Arequipa Giant Rocoto.  First 3 who’ve previously made a Rocoto-related post during 2018. See above re semi-isolation. I grew these in 5g containers this year, which were simply too small, and the pods averaged only about 80 grams each. If you want ‘em big, give ‘em room - a raised bed is perfect. These have been reasonably heat tolerant for me, setting fruit mid-summer (Seattle, though) when my other Rocotos weren’t.

If you made it reading this far, I’ll add one more thing.  If you’ve posted [edit: or "liked"] in my “CaneDog - Off-Season Season 2018/19,” prior to me posting this offer, the THP minimum membership time requirements don’t apply to you.

Happy Holidays and a great 2019 to all!
CD

Pics-

Brazilian Starfish. This is the isolated one in a small container. The plants in raised beds got HUGE.
Brazilian%20Starfish%20850.jpg

Brazilian Starfish Butterfly
Butterfly%20Starfish%20850.jpg

Aleppo RFM
Aleppo%20RFM%20850.jpg

Hamadan Red – picture taken on my back deck, yesterday.
Hamadan%20850.jpg

Mini Harvest
HamadanPlate%20850.jpg

The only picture I can find of the Costa Rica Red is this shot of the isolated container plant (in the middle).
CostaRicaBlockRed%20850.jpg

Arequipa Giant Rocoto and seeds
Arequipas%20850.jpg

Arequipa%20Seeds%20850.jpg

CD

Thank you for this awesome offer.
I am not sure if I qualify for anything else.. But atleast I will take those brazillian starfish seeds please.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Orekoc said:
I'd like some of the Hamadan Red, if they are still available.

You are most kind.

edited to correct spelling of "available."
You bet Orekoc!  They won't have to travel far.

saiias said:
Thank you for this awesome offer.
I am not sure if I qualify for anything else.. But atleast I will take those brazillian starfish seeds please.

Sure saiias.  You qualify for Aleppo and could still get a dozen Starfish with that.  Please only get Aleppo if it really interests you or leave for someone it does interest. They're a great mild powder/flake pepper.

I may open things up a little at the end depending on how things go.  I haven't done an open seed giveaway before so I'm not really sure what level of interest to expect or how much work it's going to be. If there's something in particular that interests you let me know and I'll keep that in mind.

bob65 said:
I would love to include the Aleppo in my next years grow, if you can see your way to send them down to Australia. No sleighs drawn by kangaroos will be used in the delivery.

You got it, Bob!  I thought for sure I'd posted in your GLOG before, but I've definitely looked in on it and "liked" it so I'll count a "like" the same as a post.  Looks like you have a great yard set up for growing so I'm sure they'll grow happy there.

I do want to be sure you saw that I bought the pods from a local small organic farm through the farmers' market, so while I can vouch for the quality of the pods, I can't vouch for how true the seeds may/may not be.  I'll be truing these in 2019 myself.

Cheers, CD

Thanks mate.

Garden is going great here at the moment, just waiting for heaps to get ripe just now.

Generous offer, and I did read the bit about the farmers market so all good. I really was going to source some Aleppo seeds for next year, so these will be much appreciated.

Just let me know when you are ready to start sending them out and I will send you my address.

Good deal.  Glad to hear the grow is going well.  You posted some great pics.  Feel free to PM whenever. My plan is to send everything out at once this weekend, but I'm sure delivery will be slow given the upcoming Holidays.

This newbie would love in on this generous offer. Thanks!

Arequipa Giant Rocoto and Brazilian Starfish for me if possible and still available.

For the rocotos, please confirm that you've previously made a rocoto-related post on THP.  I relaxed the qualifications in the OP from "during 2018" to "ever." [edit:  and my apologies.  The OP is kind of long and rules and such are sort of sprinkled throughout!]

Because I have limited quantities, my goal is to get a few interesting varieties into the hands of people who are most interested in that variety and, while it's not perfect, I figured people most interested would have posted about the variety at some time in the past.  If you're interested, but don't qualify, which I can totally understand, I'll happily accommodate to the extent spots & seeds remain after closing Friday.

I would love to grow those Hamadan Red. I'm from Sweden normally no issues with postage.

Nice of you to offer this btw!

Regards

What does saying I love hawks.. 'Go hawks' get me? Just kidding. I will just take the starfish.

Thank you CaneDog. Go hawks.

orrevs said:
I would love to grow those Hamadan Red. I'm from Sweden normally no issues with postage.

Nice of you to offer this btw!
Regards
That's great!  I'll get them headed out to you Orrevs and hopefully the post office does their job quickly.

dragonsfire said:
Brazilian Starfish would be nice :D
You got it Dragonsfire! I sure hope your Neem arrives soon and does the trick!

saiias said:
What does saying I love hawks.. 'Go hawks' get me? Just kidding. I will just take the starfish.

Thank you CaneDog. Go hawks.

It gets you first dibs on my F1 "Seahawks" pepper cross as soon as I can develop one that ripens blue, green, and gray!

Thanks all.  I plan to get seeds in the mail this weekend.  Feel free to PM your shipping info whenever so I'll have it for Saturday.

Time for a quick update...

Only 1 international shipping spot remaining.
Only 1 Hamadan Red pepper remaining.

Please feel free to PM me your shipping info once I've confirm your seeds.  I want to try to get everything out at one time this weekend - the mail's going to be slow enough already with the Holidays I don't want to delay things more!

BigOlB said:
Oops - missed the requirement for the Rocoto but still interested in the Starfish. 

Sorry for the confusion.

No problem - the terms are always buried somewhere in all the fine print!  I appreciate your understanding and if there's enough remaining Arequipa they'll definitely be headed your way along with the Starfish.

Back