• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Canned a few peppers yesterday.

This has been a really productive year for me so far. Yesterday, I decided to can most of the peppers I have harvested so far:

6 quarts of Aji Lemon:

IMAG0017.jpg

4 quarts of Thai:

IMAG0014.jpg

2 quarts of Fatalii (red and yellow)

IMAG0016.jpg

1 quart of a Datil/Tobasco mix:

IMAG0015.jpg

The Aji lemon on the far left is an experiment... Aji lemon with two douglah, garlic, thyme, a sprig of rosemary, two bay leaves and a little balsamic vinegar.

IMAG0021.jpg

13 quarts total:

IMAG0013_edit0.jpg

Like I said, that is just most of what I have harvested so far. I am picking pods about every two weeks and fill about 2 gallon freezer bags at a time.

As soon as I get some air locks, I'm gonna put a few quarts up to ferment.

For those who are interested, I use 2 cups white vinegar, 6 cups water and a half cup pickling salt per 3 quarts.

The colors of the pods are a lot better in person. The camera on my phone isn't that great...

I've never canned before, but am thinking I ought to give it a shot. Do you have to boil those ingredients all together for 10 minutes or so before putting the lids on?

Nice! I do the same thing except I usually add veggies like carrots, cauliflower, celery, whole garlic cloves, and green cherry tomatoes. It's super tasty and you can get a lot more jars that way. Serrano and jalapeno are my favorites for eating pickled. I cut them into about 1/2 inch slices. Of course I add hotter peppers for extra heat and flavor, but I find that habs and other thin skinned pods usually end up a bit mushy.

Thanks everyone.

Most of these, I will be using in homemade sauces or to season food. When I get enough to can some more, I am going to put up some pickled "stuff" just for snacking. I'm also going to buy a dehydrator soon and dry a bunch to make powder.

I have a bunch of plans for the pods I grow this year.

My mouth actually started watering too! The true tell of success!!! It's times like this that I wish I was a canner. I'm a powder guy though. Good luck with your dehydrator. FYI you'll also need a grinder...

I was going to give the half pint jar and a blender method a go. If that doesn't work, I can always pick up a coffee grinder for less than $20.

if you get a magic bullet, you won't ever be sorry...that's what I use to make powder with...I have one I am using I got three years ago and it still kicks any other grinder I have used...the problem with a coffee grinder is the capacity...too small...and the problem with the large capacity blenders is they just don't feed down for the grind to be powder... I saw the Magic Bullets at Walmart two days ago for $50...it comes with the motor, two different blades and a bunch of different containers...

NOTE: whatever you use to make powder, it should be dedicated to nothing but peppers...if not, there will be some transfer of pepper powder residue that will get into whatever else you are grinding...this speaks from experience...

your canned pods look extremely tasty...

check your pm's

Nice looking jars good volume, you used the would "can" in your process, did you "water bath" or "pressure can" or was it a cold bath of vinegar/water...?

Back