Canned Salsa - First Shot

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
OK...I was bored today and decided to try and can 8 pints of tomato based salsa...I really like making this stuff...it is good and good for ya...

Ingredients:

090408c003.jpg

And the finished product....

090408c001.jpg

Unholy cows, AJ! You have become a sauce makin' fool! How many different products does this make now? 3, 5?

EDIT: OH! Just niticed I'm over half way to 7,000 posts.

QuadShotz said:
damn, that's nice. How'd ya make such purdy labels?

come on QS...I am not very user friendly with graphics...that is just a text box using powerpoint and some fill...

imaguitargod said:
Unholy cows, AJ! You have become a sauce makin' fool! How many different products does this make now? 3, 5?

EDIT: OH! Just niticed I'm over half way to 7,000 posts.

just 3 creations Iggy...I like to think of it as three different categories...hot sauce is Plum Hot, then the Hab paste I made yesterday, and today the salsa....don't know what I will make tomorrow... :lol:

I am only about 3000 back and gaining ground every day Iggy...better cowboy up there my friend...

That sounds really delicious AJ! On the Naga scale of 1-10, 1 being no heat and 10 being plain Naga heat, where did you make it?

I like your labels. No tricks. Just the facts.

Next labels, you might want to use an apostrophe unless there is more than one of you....hehe, I hate spelling and punctuation! The teachers in school used to kick my ass over it.

AlabamaJack said:
better cowboy up there my friend...
Hmmmm...

: puts on gun belt and cowboy hat :

: shoots AJ in the foot :

"Get along little doggy, this forum ain't big enough for the both of us."

AlabamaJack said:
come on QS...I am not very user friendly with graphics...that is just a text box using powerpoint and some fill...

I just meant the labels are very crisp and uniform looking.

I could never do that with my crappy inkjet..I'd spend $20 just on ink prolly and it'd look like crap. Can't afford that.

I mostly use my ancient 1990's Kyocera FS-1500 laser printer around here. Does good work for an antique and besides, it was free. :)

QuadShotz said:
I just meant the labels are very crisp and uniform looking.

I could never do that with my crappy inkjet..I'd spend $20 just on ink prolly and it'd look like crap. Can't afford that.

I mostly use my ancient 1990's Kyocera FS-1500 laser printer around here. Does good work for an antique and besides, it was free. :)

Cool QS...I thought you were poking fun at the simple labels I made... :lol:

I have a Lexmark X7170 inkjet printer/fax/copier and it seems to do the trick...will admit, when I use photo quality paper and set it to high resolution, it eats color cartridges...

AlabamaJack said:
Cool QS...I thought you were poking fun at the simple labels I made... :lol:

I have a Lexmark X7170 inkjet printer/fax/copier and it seems to do the trick...will admit, when I use photo quality paper and set it to high resolution, it eats color cartridges...

Cool printer..looks like some kinda spaceship..

I see it does up to 4800x1200 dpi print resolution in color, frell..no wonder it looks good....:)

I was thinking of making labels all B&W and greyscale tones..kinda like an old wanted poster.. ;)

That way I can run off copies on my laser in a few seconds. Yes, I'm cheep.

NatGreenMeds said:
That sounds really delicious AJ! On the Naga scale of 1-10, 1 being no heat and 10 being plain Naga heat, where did you make it?

I like your labels. No tricks. Just the facts.

Next labels, you might want to use an apostrophe unless there is more than one of you....hehe, I hate spelling and punctuation! The teachers in school used to kick my ass over it.

The clean no BS label is what I was looking for. I would guess it is a 8/10 on the heat scale...it may "heaten" up a little as it sits...I will shake it once a day or so...I have only tasted it when it was hot...I have a partial bottle I am going to taste in a little while with breakfast...

Next Labels will be AlabamaJack's Exotic Superhots or should it be AlabamaJacks' Exotic Superhots?

Chiliac said:
Looks tasty! How long do you think this stuff will be good? Do you refrigerate it?

I am hoping it will last a year, but I will probably eat it before the end of winter...no refrigeration, they are sitting on a shelf in my computer room. After processing them in a pressure cooker for 25 minutes and adjusting the pH with the vinegar, I think they will be good to go with no refrigeration until I open them....everything was "sterilized" before putting ingredients in the jars...

imaguitargod said:
Hmmmm...

: puts on gun belt and cowboy hat :

: shoots AJ in the foot :

"Get along little doggy, this forum ain't big enough for the both of us."

better shoot me in the hand if you want to stop me from catching you Iggy...I would love to see you dressed "cowboy"...you would look like a bull or bronc rider all tall and lanky and such...by the way....cowboys are cool too...

AlabamaJack said:
I would love to see you dressed "cowboy"...you would look like a bull or bronc rider all tall and lanky and such...by the way....cowboys are cool too...
Here you go. This is me in costume on the set of Hidalgo.
cowboy1.jpg

You are a natural Iggy...

not gonna sale...just labels for gifts and such...gotta have some way to identify what the creations are....

AlabamaJack said:
Next Labels will be AlabamaJack's Exotic Superhots or should it be AlabamaJacks' Exotic Superhots?
If it were about a business named "AlabamaJacks" then " AlabamaJacks' " would be appropriate. The example below shows that the proper spelling would be " AlabamaJack's " since it's about a product that belongs to "AlabamaJack". hehe, God I hate this stuff! My head still hurts where the teacher used to whack it! BIP!, Nat! How many times do I have to tell you!

Forming possessives of nouns

To see if you need to make a possessive, turn the phrase around and make it an "of the..." phrase. For example:
the boy's hat = the hat of the boy
three days' journey = journey of three days
If the noun after "of" is a building, an object, or a piece of furniture, then no apostrophe is needed!
room of the hotel = hotel room
door of the car = car door
leg of the table = table leg
Once you've determined whether you need to make a possessive, follow these rules to create one.
add 's to the singular form of the word (even if it ends in -s):
the owner's car
James's hat
add 's to the plural forms that do not end in -s:
the children's game
the geese's honking
add ' to the end of plural nouns that end in -s:
houses' roofs
three friends' letters
add 's to the end of compound words:
my brother-in-law's money
add 's to the last noun to show joint possession of an object:
Todd and Anne's apartment

NatGreenMeds said:
If it were about a business named "AlabamaJacks" then " AlabamaJacks' " would be appropriate. The example below shows that the proper spelling would be " AlabamaJack's " since it's about a product that belongs to "AlabamaJack". hehe, God I hate this stuff! My head still hurts where the teacher used to whack it! BIP!, Nat! How many times do I have to tell you!

Forming possessives of nouns

To see if you need to make a possessive, turn the phrase around and make it an "of the..." phrase. For example:
the boy's hat = the hat of the boy
three days' journey = journey of three days
If the noun after "of" is a building, an object, or a piece of furniture, then no apostrophe is needed!
room of the hotel = hotel room
door of the car = car door
leg of the table = table leg
Once you've determined whether you need to make a possessive, follow these rules to create one.
add 's to the singular form of the word (even if it ends in -s):
the owner's car
James's hat
add 's to the plural forms that do not end in -s:
the children's game
the geese's honking
add ' to the end of plural nouns that end in -s:
houses' roofs
three friends' letters
add 's to the end of compound words:
my brother-in-law's money
add 's to the last noun to show joint possession of an object: