• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

(Canned) Tomatoes based sauce

Hi people.

nwss.jpg

Just made some mash from 3 cans of tomatoes with juice, 26 habaneros, one lime,
large onion, a bit of garlic, and salt. Should start fermenting soon.

The plan is to make a delicious tomato sauce with a good heat, yet tomato flavor forward.
Also I'm planning to preserve it with some apple vinegar and sulfates (meta, SO2). 

Did anyone have any experience with canned tomatoes before?
It might come out too thin I guess, so maybe I should use thickener?

Tomato sauce, as in, for pasta? Or a tomato hot sauce? If the first, should not have vinegar. Citric acid, yes, vinegar, no. You don't want that vinegar twang with your marinara etc. Red wine works wonders in tomato sauce. But not red wine vinegar, at least in the amounts needed to preserve. Think flavor first, preservation later.

Unless you mean hot sauce? The yes, it will taste like a hot sauce.

Bobtheb said:
I am thinking about doing a similar mash with tomatoes but also onion and carrot, can't wait to hear what some people say about this one!

I have made a sauce like that: it came out VERY GOOD. I used fresh tomatoes and it did ferment well.
Canned tomatoes are preserved with citric acid, which slows down the process (if it ever starts before
bad bacteria spoils a sauce). Go ahead and make it. 
The Hot Pepper said:
Oh okay. Leave out the sulfates!

I'm trying to make a shelf stable sauce without too much vinegar (or no vinegar). 

Fine but some people avoid sulfates. You can't call it natural because it is produced. There are natural occurring sulfates in things like wine, but the ones used for preservation are produced in a lab with chemicals.

Is that a coffee filter your using to cover the top? Should do good to keep out dust and such and allow the wild lacto in however as your doing an open wild fermentation your going to need to keep an eye on it because wild yeast and other, harmful bacteria will get into it also.

How long are you planning on letting it run? I typically don't go for less than 45 days which allows for the fermentation process to finish and gives just a touch of aging to it. I also don't tend to go longer than 90 days on those mashes that I know have more sugars in them. If your fermentation goes right you shouldn't need to add any vinegar or other acid to it as your Ph should be down below 4.0. You'll need to measure it to be sure so you'll want to pick up some test strips or a meter to check it with.

:)

RocketMan said:
How long are you planning on letting it run? I typically don't go for less than 45 days which allows for the fermentation process to finish and gives just a touch of aging to it. I also don't tend to go longer than 90 days on those mashes that I know have more sugars in them. If your fermentation goes right you shouldn't need to add any vinegar or other acid to it as your Ph should be down below 4.0. You'll need to measure it to be sure so you'll want to pick up some test strips or a meter to check it with.

:)

I started August 31st, and planning to put it under airlock tomorrow, and then bottle it in a week or so. I want it ripe, fresh, and vivid. :rofl:
I think you right about vinegar: it will ruin the natural taste. pH level should be low enough since tomatoes & lime juice are both pretty acidic.

I also have a pH meter (hope I still have calibration liquids for it). I'm still planning to add potassium metabisulfate (about 75 ppm) to make the sauce shelf stable until it's opened.  :hotsauce:

You can add that stuff if you want to however a Ph below 4.0 that has been hot packed properly is going to give you a shelf stable sauce without it. Really just saying that you don't have to unless you just want to is all.

RocketMan said:
You can add that stuff if you want to however a Ph below 4.0 that has been hot packed properly is going to give you a shelf stable sauce without it. Really just saying that you don't have to unless you just want to is all.

Do you mean pasteurization of the sauce and sterilization of containers & lids by hot packing?
In this case I will definitely need no sulfates.
Transferred the sauce into air locked bottle today.
Smells delicious. Tastes :hot:!

sauce_airlk.jpg

I2 % is pretty high. Since I uses starter with my mashes to get them going quickly I can use a lot less salt. Typically I use 2 tablespoons in a cup of warm water and its the last thing I add to the jar. As I have high blood pressure I try to keep the salt to a minimum also it makes it easier to adjust the level of salt during final processing.

Now for your salty sauce, add a peeled whole potato to the pot while its simmering and the potato will soak up a lot of that salt.

Jeff K said:
How much salt do you use for a mash like that? I went 12 percent on my last papper mash an it is quite salty. I got some tomatoes I want to try today.

I have added no salt since I have high BP like RocketMan, and canned tomatoes I used have plenty of it already:

sodium.jpg

The sauce is ready & bottled.
I have added a little bit of 5%
apple vinegar to it (1:7).
Tastes like tomato first with
moderate heat on the finish.
A crowd pleaser.

Amen.

Back