• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Canning Fresh Garden Salsa

Is there a way to can fresh garden salsa without boiling it. I use Tomatoes, Cilantro, Garlic, Jalapeno, Lime Juice, Onion, and mayhap another pepper if I feel like it. We have tried to do the boiling canning method, but it took away the crunch of the fresh veggies and did not taste the same. I was thinking of some way to just suck the air out. Even if it required refrigeration. Possible?

I have not done it before, but I'd be willing to bet that you can find a recipe for salsa that calls for pressure canning, thus eliminating the need to boil it. Just an idea...I'd check with google along with here.

Well if you refrigerate it, it will last about 2 weeks. Not much more you can do.

Pepperfreak said:
I have not done it before, but I'd be willing to bet that you can find a recipe for salsa that calls for pressure canning, thus eliminating the need to boil it. Just an idea...I'd check with google along with here.

I canned several pints last year, nothing to it. Boil the jars so they are clean, fill them full of the salsa, wipe the top, put the lid and ring on. Tighten the rings until snug but don't over tighten. Put a wire rack in the bottom of the cooker, add about two inches of water, place the jars on the rack.

You can cover the cooker or let the water cook for a while until it starts to get warm then cover. I cooked it at 15 pounds pressure for 30 minutes. Release the pressure gauge, allow ALL the pressure to escape, remove the lid.

You can remove the jars or let them cool for a while and remove them. I let the rings on overnight then remove them the next day.

HTH,

Mike

The safe way is to cook it first and adjust the pH. Fresh salsa is just that... fresh. Enjoy it for a couple weeks.

Back