• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Canning peppers WITHOUT a waterbath

Perhaps a stupid question. Has anyone ever checked the ph of peppers before canning? If so what were your findings and for which peppers? I was thinking about canning peppers and this was sort of a " I wonder" question. Thanks, Craig

CraigJS said:
Perhaps a stupid question. Has anyone ever checked the ph of peppers before canning? If so what were your findings and for which peppers? I was thinking about canning peppers and this was sort of a " I wonder" question. Thanks, Craig
That question can probably be googled with pretty accurate information for the specific pH of different chiles.  

For the purposes of processing, peppers are a low acid vegetable like green beans, broccoli and cauliflower. Peppers cannot be safely preserved with a simple (peppers and water in the jar) boiling water bath.  If no acids are used, the chiles must be processed by pressure canning.  Otherwise chiles must have acid added to lower the pH or can be fermented (like kimchee and sauerkraut) to lower the pH.  

Tomatoes used to be considered an acidic vegetable that could be safely Boiling Water Bath processed for canning.  Newer strains of tomatoes have been bred to be low acid compared to heirloom tomato varieties that have higher natural acid contents.  Now, all extension services say to pressure can  tomatoes, not just BWB.    

check out Making Hot Sauce 101 and Fermenting Peppers stickied in the Making Hot Sauce forum., 

I used the brine recipe from the ext. service link and cold-packed the peppers and also did a cold-packed vegetable medley, all of which were kept refrigerated.  You can use the brine recipe and following the process as beerbreath detailed in the OP, don't need to BWB. 

LowDrag said:
BB....have you tried doing the recipe you posted for the Banana Peppers exactly the way they say to do it?  Did they turn out all mushy like most people say peppers do?
LD, I'm in the "high altitude" crowd and I can honestly say no I have never processed my peppers according to the high altitude. But did do for the 10 min (0-1000ft) and they came out mushy.

works fine for all peppers.  The cold process BB does is probably better for thin walled superhots to not get mushy.

I did some today and followed the recipe and procedure above.  We will see how it turns out in two weeks.

Pickled Banana Peppers done today:

salsalady said:
works fine for all peppers.  The cold process BB does is probably better for thin walled superhots to not get mushy.

Which peppers are considered thin walled?  I am guessing Ghost's and Trinidads but  not Jalapeno's right?

Smokin James said:
Is anyone doing this with super hot peppers? Should you only pickle the harder skin peppers like Jalapeno, or Hot Wax, etc?
SalsaLady beat me to it but yes fine for all, the only thing i would suggest with the thinner walled peppers is really pack em in there, like Lowdrag did in the pick below.

LowDrag said:
I did some today and followed the recipe and procedure above.  We will see how it turns out in two weeks.

Which peppers are considered thin walled?  I am guessing Ghost's and Trinidads but  not Jalapeno's right?
Beautiful thing right there bud, nice goin. May need a bit longer than two weeks. I usually say 6 weeks min but might be able to get away with 4 in your case.

beerbreath81 said:
SalsaLady beat me to it but yes fine for all, the only thing i would suggest with the thinner walled peppers is really pack em in there, like Lowdrag did in the pick below.

Beautiful thing right there bud, nice goin. May need a bit longer than two weeks. I usually say 6 weeks min but might be able to get away with 4 in your case.
Thanks! I was thinking yellow moruga and mix them with sweet peppers, cucumber and carrot. 

LowDrag said:

habs, cayenne, and most superhots are considered thin-walled,...jalapeno, banana, rocoto, probably Serrano, fresno,Hungarian Carrot, etc...generally thick-walled.   There's no set "rule". 

If mixing peppers and veggies, use the thickest component when considering how long to let 'em soak.  If there are chunks of carrot, that will take longer for the brine to penetrate through and properly pickle than onion or pepper pieces.

Again, common sense with an edge towards caution...

I'm off to the kitch right now to deal with 37 pounds of habaneros and 40 pounds of red jalapenos.....UGH!

Smokin James said:
Thanks! I was thinking yellow moruga and mix them with sweet peppers, cucumber and carrot. 
Great mix, sounds great man, just know that the carrots will stay in the raw state with this method. Not sure how you like your carrots but may want to soften them a bit by patartaily boiling before canning em? Up to you

beerbreath81 said:
Great mix, sounds great man, just know that the carrots will stay in the raw state with this method. Not sure how you like your carrots but may want to soften them a bit by patartaily boiling before canning em? Up to you
I will have to try both soft and hard carrots to see what is best. I do like the idea of a more raw carrot though. Thanks

LowDrag said:

Holy moly!!!  That's a lot of peppers!!!
You said it!

40 pounds jalapenos on the right, 25 pounds yellow habs on the left, another 12 pounds red habs-
000_0296.JPG

000_0295.JPG

Habs cleaned stemmed and sliced- ( these are commercial food hotel pans, to give you an idea of the size)
000_0303.JPG

000_0307.JPG

Jalapenos washed-
000_0316.JPG

Most of the habaneros went into the pimped out ghetto dehydrator,  I'll post more pics of that in a different thread as this is the pickling thread~
000_0310.JPG

000_0311.JPG

Most of the red jals went into a cold pickle, some red jals went into a ferment, 2 x 2 gallon red jals went into the freezer for later dehydrating, and a few orange habs were set up for a cold pickle also.

Pickle brine-
6 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
2T pickling salt
2T sugar
Multiply recipe as needed to get enough for 5 gallons produce.  :lol:

5 1/2 gallons red jalapenos, carrots, onion, cauliflower and (tomorrow) garlic and the 2 bags of jalapenos for the freezer.
000_0322.JPG

orange habaneros for cold pickle on the left, red jals with onion, garlic, bit of carrot and apples for a ferment on the right.
000_0323.JPG

DAUM....thats alot of work but sure is a beautiful sight, hopefully you got some help from the salsakids  :D. Are these all from your garden? that modified dehydrator is sweet how long do you gotta let them go for when stacked so full?

BB- no chiles from my garden, these are grown by a local family farm.  They grow TONS of produce of all kinds and sell to local stores.  Last year, I think I bought about 300 pounds of various chiles. 
With the chiles sliced so thin, it really doesn't take any longer than normal.  They get really good air circulation.  This year, the red habs on the bottom two trays are really juicy and I'm concerned about those ones not getting enough air to the middle, so I will be unstacking those two trays and turning the habs a bout every 12 hours until they get about half dry.  And I'm also running it at about 110F.  If it weren't for the red habs, I'd run it about 95-100F for better color retention.  For these chiles, I'm not concerned with color retention, only concerned to get those red habs dried fast.

LowDrag- here's the original thread about the Overstuffed Dehydrator with these updates.  :)  Last year, one tower had a colander of pods on top, but as the chiles dried, the tower went lopsided and the colander fell off and onto the floor.  That's a reason why I went looking for something to use as spacers.  Thought about wooden dowels, but those you can't really clean and would get food bits stuck to them.  White PVC seemed to be the ticket.

salsalady said:
BB and Sizzle, you are both doing a modified Hot Pack.  BB didn't post the brine recipe, but if it's like Sizzle's it's fine.  With the meticulous process of boiling the jars, heated brine, high vinegar ratio, slicing or at least slitting open the pods so the brine gets all the way in (and then sloshing the jars to make sure it DOES get into the pods), all those little details are important to the safe product and the success you have.

Usually, I'm in the "just because Gramma did it that way for 40 years and never got sick doesn't make it safe" camp.  But in this case, you guys are doing it right.  Part of the reason the FDA and Extension Services mandate to BWB everything is because people skip steps or don't have enough vinegar, etc.  BWB pretty much just make it almost for sure safe.  

I ended up with about 80 pounds of jalapenos last fall that I had to do something with, so I made a bunch of cold-packed Pickled Peppers using the same basic recipe and process of you guys.  I was able to sell them as a cold-packed refrigerated product, no way the "powers that be" would of let them go out as Shelf Stable without BWB.  :rolleyes:  Whatever, luckily my local market has room in their Gourmet Foods cold case, so it worked out. 

I think Joyners was saying he vac-seals the cuke salad and then keeps it in the refer for up to 6 months. 

I am comfortable that my handling of the jars is correct.  After they are cleaned, I give them a boiling water bath.  I am also comfortable that this high vinegar to water ratio is more than safe to make pickles.  Yes - I boil the brine.

3.5 cups white distilled vinegar (5% acidity) 
1.5 cups water
4 tablespoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar

I had started a thread and one of the replies linked to this one because I wanted to know if this brine was OK to pickle peppers.  I was wondering whether something about the nature of peppers would require something to be added to the brine, or if I would need to modify the ratio.

Ann,

Could you please chime in on this.  Also, is salt necessary for a safe brine, or it it just for taste?  I love salt and am not looking to cut any out—I was just curious.

Thanks

Back