• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can't find them so I'll start growing them.

Hello everyone.

I have always been someone who has enjoyed growing various plants. I have grown and raised orchids, carnivorous plants, cacti and other succulents.

I recently wen to Peru for my honeymoon and fell in love with their cooking. The food was amazing. However, since returning home I have been unable to find their peppers anywhere. This is very important to Peruvian cuisine. So now I am on the search for a good quality set of Peruvian peppers. I have found some seeds on various websites, but now I want to learn how to select a good company and good seeds. This will be my first pepper grow, and I am going to try it in some pretty harsh conditions. I live in the desert of Southern California.

I look forward to talking with you,

Desert Pepper

I'm looking for mostly Peruvian peppers. Aji amarillo, Aji limon, Aji panca, Capsicum pubescens. There are others as well, but I am trying to figure out which ones I will need.

Aji amarillo is a must in Peruvian cooking. The others are used, just not as much.

I will also try a smaller(plant size) growing pepper in my Aerogarden. I just cleaned it up and it is now ready to be used.

Hello everyone.

I have always been someone who has enjoyed growing various plants. I have grown and raised orchids, carnivorous plants, cacti and other succulents.

I recently wen to Peru for my honeymoon and fell in love with their cooking. The food was amazing. However, since returning home I have been unable to find their peppers anywhere. This is very important to Peruvian cuisine. So now I am on the search for a good quality set of Peruvian peppers. I have found some seeds on various websites, but now I want to learn how to select a good company and good seeds. This will be my first pepper grow, and I am going to try it in some pretty harsh conditions. I live in the desert of Southern California.

I look forward to talking with you,

Desert Pepper

I'm looking for mostly Peruvian peppers. Aji amarillo, Aji limon, Aji panca, Capsicum pubescens. There are others as well, but I am trying to figure out which ones I will need.

Aji amarillo is a must in Peruvian cooking. The others are used, just not as much.

I will also try a smaller(plant size) growing pepper in my Aerogarden. I just cleaned it up and it is now ready to be used.
I purchased all of those varieties from Pepermania, a great seed source.

I could send you some Aji Amarillo seeds if you would like. These seeds are actually from Peru. PM me your address and I'll get them in the mail to you straight away. ;)

Maligator - Many thanks and a PM sent.

Secretz and Silver_Surfer - Thanks for the links. I will check those out right away.

I can't wait to start.

Lived there for about 10 years, make sure to shade your plants in the afternoons the sun down there is hot and water every day soil drains fast. use to say I'll never go to hell I lived there.

HawaiiAl - The sun here is intense. My patio faces the north and is well shaded by an upper balcony. I'm actually wondering if there is even enough light there. Humidity might be the bigger problem. Did you grow peppers here in the desert? Did you have any luck? I will have to grow in containers because I live in an apartment.

ThePepperGrowingMan - What a great resource. I am bookmarking that one right away. Thanks.

Welcome from HOT and HUMID North Alabama. There is a lot of great information here and, as you can see lots of helpful friendly people.

I am not sure of all the varieties of chillies that come from Peru, but Pepper Joe has a small but nice selection of organically grown seeds. Plus he gives free seeds with every order. Good luck with your search!

Back