• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CAP 215 info?

Hi all. I recently ordered some seeds from pepperlover, and received some bonus seeds with my order. One of the bonuses was seeds for CAP 215 peppers. I've got no experience with wild peppers at all, and would love to grow these, and was just wondering if anyone has any info or advice for these peppers?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

MH: How are your CAP 215s doing?

I got some this spring from Pepperlover as well and the description hinted that it was going to be difficult to germinate these peppers which was okay since they can get to be six feet tall and need a lot of room. Just to be sure I got a few, I planted several and of course it is the most prolific pepper of the season, 100% germination.

The seedlings grow like crazy too. They are hairy and have rounded, soft leaves which makes them very distinct around here....so now I have eleven of these things and they are taking over. I have one in a pot out on the deck and it seems to add an inch a day. So far I love these things but at the rate they're taking off I might have to clear out a few acres with a bulldozer!

I hope you're having luck with them too..

from the website 

"A rare, wild, and controversial pepper from a research institution in Germany, for many years this wild pepper was classified as Capsicum Microcarpum. Now it is listed as Baccatum var. Baccatum. This pepper has the flower of Baccatum, but the leafs and plant characteristics are from Praetermissum. Even though it is classified as Baccatum var. Baccatum. We believe it should be Baccatum var. Praetermissum. Nevertheless we will list is as the research institute does and just name it as (CAP 215  Baccatum var. Baccatum). This pepper grows very slowly but when the conditions allowed it can easily reach 6 feet tall and wide. It has very strong thick and sturdy stem allows it to grow big and braches out like tree. It needs long growing season but will set hundreds of tiny pods smaller than pea size. Very hot pods, they dry well on the plant but must be picked before falling on the ground or picked by birds. The plant needs larger areas to grow well; even it can grow just fine in pots we suggest to plan in the ground with more space for better results. Hard to germinate and grow but easy to set fruits and survive."

KitKat745 said:
 at the rate they're taking off I might have to clear out a few acres with a bulldozer!

LOL, yes they are huge, a tree like that will live all year around for many years if conditions allow, one plant will set  pods more than you can handle 

Back