• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CAPCOMS "15/16" refined GLOG

Finally, I will be putting together a grow based mainly on my preferences to taste and heat and not a blind ambitions of a newbie grower. Sometime today I will be sowing the upcoming seasons hot pepper seeds. I will be creating my grow list on the fly. I dont know if I can keep it under 100 varieties but that's the goal. 350+ last year was a 1st and a last of that magnitude for me, or at least til I get my plantation.
A couple of varieties still elude me as they have not yet appeared on the seed train, Chocolate Reaper and chocolate Lava. I will be growing lots of chocolates this year and have my eyes open for these 2.
List to follow.

But first, The festivities.
Merry Christmas!

GALAPAGOENSE
BHUT CHOCOLATE SMOOTH
MORUGA CARMAL
SCORPION CHOCOLATE*     
WARTYRX VARIANT    
MUTT    
NAGLAH RED
RING OF FIRE    
BHUT MUSTARD    
PRIMO RED    
7 POT BRAIN RED    
RAINFOREST    
BRAINSTRAIN CHOCOLATE    
SEPIA SERPEANT
CHOCOLATE DEVILS TONGUE    
BORG 9 RED SHORT    
PRIMO YELLOW    
7 POT PRIMO    
NAGA VIPER    
BBM    
WILD TEPIN
CUMARI DO PARA
BORG 9 RED LONG    
SCORPION KRAKEN    
7 POT CARMAL    
YAKI BROWN    
BENGAL NAGA PEACH
SATANS KISS
MADD BALLZ    
SCOTCH BONNET CHOCOLATE
BBG LONG PHENOL    
7 POT SR STRAIN    
NAGA CAPPUCCINO    
AJI FANTASY    
CAP 1477
MADD BALLZ CARMAL    
SCOTCH BONNET PINK    
BBG7 RED    
7 POT LAVA    
DATIL    
DEVILS BRAIN    
CP337
MADD BALLZ RED    
SCOTCH BONNET YELLOW MOA    
BBG7 CHOCOLATE    
7 POT BURGUNDY    
BRAZILIAN GHOST RED    
DEVILS HEART    
MYSTERY RED CP
MADD BALLZ 7    
SCOTCH BONNET RED MOA    
BBG7 CHOCOLATE LONG    
7 POT CHOCOLATE    
BRAZILIAN GHOST BROWN    
BULLS HEART    
CLONER SEED
BHUT RED LONG    
SCOTCH BONNET MYSTERY JAMAICA    
SCORPION TRIN ORANGE    
7 POT WHITE    
TRINIDAD PERFUME    
BLACK SCORPION TONGUE    
CHOCOLATE LAVA*
BHUT ORANGE    
SCOTCH BONNET MOA    
SCORPION ICESCREAM    
BRIAN STRAIN CHOCOLATE    
BHUTLAH CHOCOLATE    
UBSC    
CPR*
BHUT CARBON    
SCOTCH BONNET CAPPUCCINO    
SCORPION TRIN RED    
SUGAR RUSH PEACH    
REAPER X BRAINSTRAIN    
BOC    
BHUT CARMAL    
SCOTCH BONNET MOA    
SCORPION CARDI RED    
DAISY CUTTER    
NAGA CHOCOLATE BRAINSTRAIN    
MADAME JEANETTE    
BHUT CHOCOLATE LONG    
SCOTCH BONNET ORANGE    
TRIN CHOCOLATE BEAN    
CAROLINA REAPER    
PGS X PRIMO 7    
MADAME JEANETTE X GORONONG    
BHUT BROWN ISO    
SCOTCH BONNET MOA    
SCORPION  TRIN BT X DOUGLAH BROWN    
PIMENT D' ESPELTT'E    
BIH CARMAL    
ORCHID RUBY    
DOUGLAH SWIRL HEAT
subject to change

5-5-16
I moved all 1 gal potted plants to the hardening off shelter. Friday was bright and sunny early in the morning and impacted the plants minimally in that they were due to be watered and were not. A little wilting occurred but they rebounded nicely after getting a drink later in the evening.  The indoor grow is still active with the second wave of plants quickly catching up to these pictured.

20160507_142322.jpg

this is the full mid day sun
20160507_142455.jpg

t0mato said:
BTW, what is the orchid ruby?  It has a very intriguing name.

CAPCOM said:
Its a selection off the train that I did not grow out last year. Other than that I am not certain.

I think those seeds were mine. Definitely not a variety or intentional cross. They were supposed to be regular orchid peppers, but the pods didn't grow "wings" like regular ones. They were all cube-shaped, kind of like big red gemstones. Not a bad thing - the uniform shape made them really easy to fire roast. I filled a 2 gallon ziploc off of one OW plant last season. They were a wonderful addition to my canned salsa!  I'm happy to see you're growing them and I'm curious to see what your pods look like this season.
     Glad to see you have a field of big, healthy plants this year. Any plans to plant out soon?

CAPCOM said:
I started going through my seed bank and WOW. So intimidating. And I know it is yet, dwarfed by other growers collections. Anyone know of an up and running DB program for peppers?
That would really come in handy and as much as I would like to, I dont have the background or the time to create one.

In any case, I thought I was simply going to go through my collection an just, pick em out. HA!                     HA!  HA!

Should have started this in June.
I use an iOS app called MyStuff2. It's open ended so you can create whatever kind of database you want, define your fields,types, etc... You can also create filters and sort options, and export to multiple formats. I use it for my seed inventory, and setup different views for things like what I'm growing this season, what I have the most seeds of, etc... The data I track is mostly things like name, species, source, quantity, year acquired, isolated or not, and I keep notes and pics for each type.

ip0UOU2l.png

z83figSl.png

zBhoj9nl.png

p76yxzNl.png

KJOYEDrl.png

7E5pEXfl.png

Peter S said:
I use an iOS app called MyStuff2. It's open ended so you can create whatever kind of database you want, define your fields,types, etc... You can also create filters and sort options, and export to multiple formats. I use it for my seed inventory, and setup different views for things like what I'm growing this season, what I have the most seeds of, etc... The data I track is mostly things like name, species, source, quantity, year acquired, isolated or not, and I keep notes and pics for each type.

ip0UOU2l.png

z83figSl.png

zBhoj9nl.png

p76yxzNl.png

KJOYEDrl.png

7E5pEXfl.png
Thx Peter, I will check that out, looks like it may be pretty useful. It also appears to have some depth.

bpiela said:
Can you import data?  Would be cool to import a csv of whatever excel spreadsheet you use now...
Yes, you can import data as well. It's very easy to do. You can define your column mappings, delimiters, etc...

I removed one of the shade clothes and all that is left is the 50% for high noon and afternoon. plants will now get full morning light. Planning to transplant to larger containers this weekend and move last plants from grow room to shade area.

Looking really good. I got home this afternoon and immediately checked on the crop. all are doing OUTSTANDING! they took the blast of the morning sun with no cover at all and the afternoon sun with only the 50% shade cloth and are ready for transplant and their initiation. Will start transplanting tomorrow night.

Grow room is empty of all pepper plants. Well, with the temporary exception of 2 clones from dampened off plants.On of them is pretty cool, it is forking at the first node.

The last trawl.
20160522_104137.jpg

Yes, these are a little smaller, but they are also a later start. Should catch up fine once hardened off.

There are 50 plants pictured and 60+ more coming after this.
The heat finally got here and now we have lots of rain in the forecast over the next week. They got a good feeding and a little water to hold them over the next day.
I am using a new soil that seems to have good drainage. Guess we will be putting it to the test next week.

20160522_180329.jpg

Forecast for today of 100+ with the heat index. And with the perfect rain we got yesterday, things are setting up better than I could ask for. All plants got a good feeding 1&2 days before the rain and I hit them all with bloom Khaos. Another feeding coming tonight.
I want to stimulate growth now to support a large pepper crop to come.

The heat has finally come! high 90s yesterday and the prospect of the same today. I have lots of new green growth and tons of buds forming.
Now I am getting impatient.And this is where back as a newbie, I would screw up and want to do something to speed things up. Like hitting them with more ferts and watering without a need.
This is the time you need to tell yourself that all I can do right now is watch them grow and be vigilant.
I have one plant, a Jamaican bonnet that has already produced several pods. And so far, all pest have been minimal to none, and that is good also.

Things cooled way down on Sunday. took advantage of the partly cloudy day and gave em a good feeding prior to the rain forecast over the next 3 days. I have also started pruning  the main stem leaves to induce branching. I know I can accomplish the same thing by topping but I am not a fan of topping if I dont have to. All new growth is looking fantastic and is fighting for space with buds. I have an ice cream scorpion from Tony's train I believe, that appears to be on testosterone.

Black scorpion tongue
DSC00579.JPG

Madd Balls
DSC00585.JPG

Hard to tell how tall that madballs is but appears short with some serious forking. If that's what I'm seeing, that's exactly what mine did last year. Whoosh those suckers got a little kick to them.

Everything is looking great Cap

Back