• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

capsaicin

i mean i figure it would increase dramatically as ripening continued but is it not present at all and if not how far along does it kick in

capsaicin is produced in the placenta of the pepper (that white stuff that the seeds are attached to)...it is there in increasing amounts until the pepper ripens....I have read a study that said, the most capsaicin in the pepper is when the pepper first starts turning the ripe color...when the pepper is cut/sliced/mashed/chewed etc...the placenta is ruptured setting free the capsaicin all over the seeds and the inside flesh of the pepper....that is why cutting out the placenta (coring the pepper) reduces the heat of them...because you are removing the capsaicin producing mechanism of the pod

you are welcome...

This is a pic I took from a book I have:
The hot book of Chillies
Written by David Floyd.

anatomy.jpg

It shows there are seperate Capsaicin glands in the top of the membrane.
As I interpret it the capsaicin is produced there, and seeps through along the placenta and the endocarp.

AlabamaJack said:
I have read a study that said, the most capsaicin in the pepper is when the pepper first starts turning the ripe color.

Hi AlabamaJack!

Does this mean that as the pepper ripens the capsaicin subsides? I thought it kept getting hotter as it ripened. I have been leaving my pods on the plants until the last possible moment to ensure that it was as hot as it could possibly be.

The more we learn about the science of heat production, the more enjoyable this whole process becomes! Who knew that learning could be fun? :)

All I know is my funky habs had globs of cap stuff ON the side walls...and were stuffed full of plancenta. Worst..eating..ever.

I'd eat any naga before doing that again. That actually hurt.

I could feel the cap bits hit as grenades of pain as I chewed it..friggin unreeal. I was't making faces just for show..that rly hurt ad tried to take my breath away. It was rly hard to breathe while chewing that damn thing.

Mebbe a scorp would be similar, idk..but was not fun.

To my knowledge, nobody esle has ever eaten a Burkina Hab on YT..now I know why.

RB, I know ya have 'em..where's yer vid? I dare ya to eat just 1/2 of one liek I did. ;P

the article I read didn't actually say the capsaicin content diminished but it hinted at it...I mean if the most capsaicin is present when the pods first start to ripen.....what else is someone supposed to think...

PrairieChilihead said:
Hi AlabamaJack!

Does this mean that as the pepper ripens the capsaicin subsides? I thought it kept getting hotter as it ripened. I have been leaving my pods on the plants until the last possible moment to ensure that it was as hot as it could possibly be.

The more we learn about the science of heat production, the more enjoyable this whole process becomes! Who knew that learning could be fun? :)

I would say just test it. Pick one early on and them pick one as late as you can. See if there is a noticeable difference in heat? But then again 2 peppers from the same plant, picked at the same time can have 2 different heat levels....so I don't know. One would have to test with several peppers and actually measure the Scoville units of the pepper. Is there a home kit for measuring Scoville?

QuadShotz said:
RB, I know ya have 'em..where's yer vid? I dare ya to eat just 1/2 of one liek I did. ;P

I chopped up 3 in a cheese spread sandwich, they are full of juice and I swear they're the ones that did my hands in. I know Quad, you just want me on video really, funky Habs or not ;)

Yes maam. I always like pretty gals on video....Habs would be a plus though. ;)
Ove put em in everything, but eatign raw is mesed up.

PrairieChilihead said:
On page 76 of “Capsicum…The genus Capsicum”, the below information is shown:

Individual capsaicinoid contribution to total capsaicinoids in relation to the age of flowering in the pericarp and placenta of Capsicum fruits is given in Figure 4.2.

Several studies have concluded that levels of capsaicinoids increase with maturation (Hall et al., 1987), remain constant (Sukrasno and Yeoman, 1993) or decrease slightly up to 60% after the maximum is reached.

Figure 4.2 shows that the maximum in Capsicum annuum was reached at 45 days of fruit age.

The peak starts at about 35 days and then increases to it’s max at 45 days. Just 5 days later, it had dropped by a huge amount, so harvesting at 45 days seems to be the maximum heat level for this species.

Hey Nat...that book doesn't have a content breakdown of the different capsaicinoids for different peppers does it?....

AlabamaJack said:
Hey Nat...that book doesn't have a content breakdown of the different capsaicinoids for different peppers does it?....
Just for a very few, AJ. It seems to center on peppers used for the Paprika industry more than any others. That's where most of the money is made in India.

The bar chart below and the figures in the other chart seem to disagree if you look at the 50 day mark of both. The numerical chart specifies that it's a measure of capsaicinoids present in DRY tissue, whereas the bar graph doesn't. Elsewhere in the book, it mentions that all of the dried peppers are a result of natural drying in open air over a period of days. The only conclusion I can draw from the differences is that the bar chart is from just harvested peppers and that during the drying process, if drying is complete at 50 days, the pepper has lost a LOT of it's capsaicinoids during the drying days. I haven't read the entire book yet, but if my hypothesis is correct, and if drying is a factor, it seems that picking them at 40 days and doing no more than a 5 day drying cycle would maximize the capsaicinoid amounts.

I'll have to study this, and other information more before confirming that hypothesis.

Pardon the quality of the charts. It's the best I could get my hands on as a PDF.

capsicumduringfloweringqv8.jpg

NatGreenMeds said:
On page 76 of “Capsicum…The genus Capsicum”, the below information is shown:

Individual capsaicinoid contribution to total capsaicinoids in relation to the age of flowering in the pericarp and placenta of Capsicum fruits is given in Figure 4.2.

Several studies have concluded that levels of capsaicinoids increase with maturation (Hall et al., 1987), remain constant (Sukrasno and Yeoman, 1993) or decrease slightly up to 60% after the maximum is reached.

Figure 4.2 shows that the maximum in Capsicum annuum was reached at 45 days of fruit age.

The peak starts at about 35 days and then increases to it’s max at 45 days. Just 5 days later, it had dropped by a huge amount, so harvesting at 45 days seems to be the maximum heat level for this species.

This is distressing. It turns what I thought I understood about the heat production in the pods right on it's head!! When would you start counting down? From the day the tiny pod first shakes free of the dry bloom? From the day the pod reaches it's 'adult' size? Or...would you just forget about that and start picking the peppers as soon as a bit of colour is visible? Like I said, I've always waited until the pepper was as dark as it could possibly be (in whatever colour was the normal end-game)- believing that it continued getting hotter and hotter!

Am I the only person who thought that?:oops:

when I first started growing peppers, I was interested in making a chili powder that gave you a complete burn from the lips to the back of the throat including the total mouth/palate...that is when I learned that different capsaicinoids affected different nerve receptors in the mouth....soooooo...what I really wanted to do when I first started growing peppers was grow the peppers that had different capsaicinoid contents and mix those peppers to create the "perfect burn"....

I have not been able to find a listing anywhere that says pepper by pepper what percent the different capsaicinoids are present other than a few varieties...

you have to remember that each variety has a different maturity length and this would only be applicable to those varieties tested by this research...

AlabamaJack said:
you have to remember that each variety has a different maturity length and this would only be applicable to those varieties tested by this research...
That's a fact, AJ. Thanks. It seems that if a pepper is picked and used when just ripe, it's at it's hottest. As it matures on the plant AFTER being fully ripe, it seems that is when the heat starts dropping.

Does this sound right to you?

Back