• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

capsaicin

NatGreenMeds said:
That's a fact, AJ. Thanks. It seems that if a pepper is picked and used when just ripe, it's at it's hottest. As it matures on the plant AFTER being fully ripe, it seems that is when the heat starts dropping.

Does this sound right to you?

Sorry for barging in, but this begs a question....At what point would you consider a pepper to be "just ripe" ...? Is it when the colour first begins or when the pepper is fully coloured...or some other moment?

Thanks!

that does beg a question...what is the definition of ripe?... :lol: ...is it when the pepper first starts to turn or is it when the complete pod is uniform in color ?

and you are not barging in...

good point...maybe that research I read meant the peppers are full size when they first start turning color and that is considered ripe...

The peppers talked about in this book are all used for Paprika. It refers to "a full rich red color when ripe". The peppers are harvested and stacked in the field for a few days "to finish ripening to a uniform dark red".

So it seems that the peppers referred to in the book are ripe when fully red.

I have no idea if that holds true across all the species of peppers. If I run into that information, I'll be sure to post it.

i would say that a pepper is ripe when the seeds are viable and not green( most of my unripe pods had no seeds or they were green) that being said, i haven't had many peppers ripe till a dark green before red showed up on Jals, and Pablanos. nor ripe cayennes till final color, or any chinense type including, my weird hybrid, and jamaican scotch bonnets. i would say that a chile is ripe and almost to the final heat level when you pick it green and the whole thing is able to change to the final color. and it is starting to be less hot when it is picked it's full color.

atleast that has been my experience with my wierd hybrid, i tasted it about 7 different periods along the growing cycle just because i was so damned curious lol.

in my mind i like to pick the peppers when they are 80% Full Colored or up.because it will take me a day or 2 to use them most likely and by them they will be fully yellow or red or whatever.

Back