• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Capsicum ciliatum or rhomboideum

Obviously one species but had a name change. Do you still use ciliatum or do you use rhomboideum reason why I'm asking is because I have seen numerous people use ciliatum instead of rhomboideum. What is your take on the matter obviously not terribly important but a good conversation none the less.

Honestly I like the name ciliatum better but I think it's just proper to use rhomboideum

i use C.rhomboideum may publications recognize it as rhomboideum , i am still not convinced it is a chili, but diffidently one of the most beautiful flowers  

PepperLover said:
i use C.rhomboideum may publications recognize it as rhomboideum , i am still not convinced it is a chili, but diffidently one of the most beautiful flowers  
Aww this is another very controversial aspect of this species

I have heard it does have a taste but as to whether or not it is a pepper I will make finally conclusion to that after I have done my own growing and research which should be done by the end of next year.

yes it is the only yellow flowered "Capsicum" if it was one.
it is very interesting for sure. tough plant lives under harsh conditions unlike most of other wilds (i.e. Tovarii, Galapagoense ) which they are sensitive to growing conditions, rhomboideum actually grows faster and lives longer 

If your getting seeds from the USDA Grin seed bank you would have to use C. Rhomboideum, at one point it was moved to a sub class under a different name completely, I Like the old name ciliatum, but I will leave it up to the experts to decide. It is a very unusual species the yellow flowers are very different and even though the berries, which they look more like than a pods have very little taste.  I don't know of any other capscium species that has yellow flowers like it and the woody stems makes it unlike most capsciums.

Back