• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Capsicum ciliatum or rhomboideum

Nightshade said:
It is definitely an interestig plant and no I will be getting cuttings
cutting are very easy to get from this plant.
you can simply cut a branch and put it in a cup of water for few weeks then roots will start to develop
or at the bottom of the plant pull any new sprouting branch as it will have roots already.

The way the naming thing works is the first name published for a particular taxon is the one that is used. In this case, C.rhomboideum was used first. Then C.ciliatum was used for another plant. Upon further study, it was found that both rhomboideum and ciliatum were actually the same thing. When that happens, the name used first wins. So it is C.rhomboideum. 

Awesome plants!!!

I have heard of C rhomboideum and C.ciliatum being two different plants also,making things even more confusing. More than likely isn't a capsicum. Putting the flower aside,I notice some unique things about the texture of the newer and older,more lignified branching.

My plant puts out yellow flowers that look like mini Datura flowers,bell shaped,jimpsom weed.
I have a 4+ yr old plant that is setting pods lately.
The tops are heavily budded out.
I'm sending cuttings out from both sun exposed/purple leafed branches and other cuttings.
My plant is very large,
This time of year they have a lot of new growth.

Nightshade will post about how the cuttings grow from my cuttings/plants.

Thinking about the space my plant takes up.

Might send him the whole thing cut down.
Same with my Rocopica.

smokemaster said:
My plant puts out yellow flowers that look like mini Datura flowers,bell shaped,jimpsom weed.
I have a 4+ yr old plant that is setting pods lately.
The tops are heavily budded out.
I'm sending cuttings out from both sun exposed/purple leafed branches and other cuttings.
My plant is very large,
This time of year they have a lot of new growth.

Nightshade will post about how the cuttings grow from my cuttings/plants.

Thinking about the space my plant takes up.

Might send him the whole thing cut down.
Same with my Rocopica.
If you want to send out Rocopica cuttings, plants, pods, seeds, cells or bark, look no further than me!!!

smokemaster said:
My plant puts out yellow flowers that look like mini Datura flowers,bell shaped,jimpsom weed.I have a 4+ yr old plant that is setting pods lately.The tops are heavily budded out.I'm sending cuttings out from both sun exposed/purple leafed branches and other cuttings.My plant is very large,This time of year they have a lot of new growth.Nightshade will post about how the cuttings grow from my cuttings/plants.Thinking about the space my plant takes up.Might send him the whole thing cut down.Same with my Rocopica.
would be more than willing to take them both I have tons of space and yes I will be keeping track in here and in my glog of the cuttings.
Pr0digal_son said:
I have heard of C rhomboideum and C.ciliatum being two different plants also,making things even more confusing. More than likely isn't a capsicum. Putting the flower aside,I notice some unique things about the texture of the newer and older,more lignified branching.
Yes this is exactly what confused me

millworkman said:

Use Ciliatum if you never want ripe pods like Kevin here.  Use Rhomboideum if you want lush leaf canopies and tons of small red ripe berries.   :P
i know u had a plant two years ago Noah 
what happened to it?

We had a freak early freeze that took out that big beauty.  I have one now that has been going for 2 years starting its 3rd.  Still love this plant.

I too love this plant, they can stand some cold but not extreme frosts.
this coming spring i suggest u multiply the plant by pulling off some seedlings form the mother plant.
one plant can be multiplied to many many plant easily   

Back