• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Carolina Reaper-Peach salsa

I`ve been wanting to try cooking Reapers for a while, so figured I`d start simply and make a salsa. I thought the flavour of the Reaper would pair well with ripe peaches, so here`s what I did.

8 fresh Carolina Reapers
2 large Peaches
3 large cloves of Garlic
Juice of half a Lime
1 teaspoon salt

The resulting salsa was delicious and HOT. The flavour of the Reapers shone through beautifully, but the flavour of the peaches was also very clear and clean. 

Dry roasted 8 Carolina Reapers and 3 large cloves of garlic in it`s skin in a large pan on high heat. Slightly charred the surfaces, turning as I went. I then cut up 2 large peaches and put them in the dry hot pan, too, roasting until each side was caramelized a little.

I took out the Reapers and garlic and let them cool, while finishing the peaches. Then I let the peaches cool as well.

I chopped the garlic roughly, then threw the Reapers and 5 quarters of the peaches in a blender and blended until smooth. i also added the juice of half a lime and 1 teaspoon of salt. 

Thanks Brian, I really enjoyed it. I`d guess I ate about 3-reaper`s worth of salsa and did not have a single issue with my stomach or intestines. I think i need to dry roast a reaper and eat it to see how it compares to the fresh pepper.

we got peaches coming in from pallisade colorado.  Might have to make a jar of this.  No reapers for me yet but i could use some other pods from the freezer.  Brain Strain Red perhaps.

Nigel said:
I`ve been wanting to try cooking Reapers for a while, so figured I`d start simply and make a salsa. I thought the flavour of the Reaper would pair well with ripe peaches, so here`s what I did.

8 fresh Carolina Reapers
2 large Peaches
3 large cloves of Garlic
Juice of half a Lime
1 teaspoon salt

The resulting salsa was delicious and HOT. The flavour of the Reapers shone through beautifully, but the flavour of the peaches was also very clear and clean. 

Dry roasted 8 Carolina Reapers and 3 large cloves of garlic in it`s skin in a large pan on high heat. Slightly charred the surfaces, turning as I went. I then cut up 2 large peaches and put them in the dry hot pan, too, roasting until each side was caramelized a little.

I took out the Reapers and garlic and let them cool, while finishing the peaches. Then I let the peaches cool as well.

I chopped the garlic roughly, then threw the Reapers and 5 quarters of the peaches in a blender and blended until smooth. i also added the juice of half a lime and 1 teaspoon of salt. 

oh me that is hot love the Reaper

I just made a much weaker modification of your recipe. Pretty pleased with the taste.

2 Large Peaches - quartered
2 Harold's St. Bart Habs - halved and seeded
2 Lemon Drops - halved and seeded
1/3 clove of Elephant garlic
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of CGN21500 powder
Juice of 1 lime
A splash of Fatalii-infused Absolut Vodka (not pictured)

peachsalsa81813_zps4feaf01b.jpg

Only thing I would have added is some cilantro, for my taste. I can't imagine how hot your recipe could have been compared to mine. Props!

Thanks Nigel! I was inspired to try this the other day in lue of our local peach festival. Great job, damn good! The rosted peach goes well with the aromatics of the reaper! Hottttttt!

Sorry to bump this, but I think it deserves it, I am growing Reapers this year and can't wait to make this salsa, looks absolutely delicious, do you think I could bottle it and save it?

Yes, you could bottle it as long as it was using sterile glass and normal bottling techniques. The pH is not low enough for it to last very long after you opened a bottle, though. The shelf-life will be a week at most once open.

Nigel, being a newbie at this, I would imagine I can substitute Ghosts for the Reapers without a "huge" problem? I guess I'm asking is there an issue combining certain peppers with certain fruits in regards to pH or just "they don't go well together"? Thanks

Back