• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

carribean reds

What heat rating would you all think this one would rate in at? Considering im in Georgia
had a tropical 100 plus summer anow a subtropical fall weather of 70- mid 80s?
Soil conditions are regular potting soil mixed with manure 50/50 blend.

I have read that they come in at a 450k
but im noticing thier hotter than my red savinas..........

There isn't an equation for that. you seriously need to learn a lot about how chiles work.

450,000SHU is EXTREMELY HOT and it is VERY LIKELY that not your Caribbean Reds or Red Savinas will even get close to that.

There isn't an equation for that. you seriously need to learn a lot about how chiles work.

450,000SHU is EXTREMELY HOT and it is VERY LIKELY that not your Caribbean Reds or Red Savinas will even get close to that.
+1 i just eat my peppers and rate them as hotter than others i have eaten! as i know they are no where near the SHU that the actual test pods were tested and grown in. its all about the flavor and heat! in my eyes that is like asking someone how much they bench just to tellhow strong they are.there are way more important things to judge and test. well unless you are actually trying to grow and have your peppers lab tested.

Well here in Orlando, it's a plus 5 on the o ring burn scale... Eat them ya wont be disappointed . Smoke and dry a few to grind... a lil bit of heaven...

Still stuck on the numbers eh papadaca? The only people who use them are the folks trying to get their names in record books. Pepper growers use them as a way to brag how hot their peppers could be, lie to their friends about how cool and macho they are when they eat them, and to try and impress the opposite sex. In other words they're pretty much useless to a grower.

Typical Caribbean Red is slightly hotter and MUCH better tasting than your typical Orange Hab...just my opinion....heat level, who knows,
a habs a hab, Red Savina's a hotter hab....take a couple leaps and bounds, to the "Nuclear" peppers, Trini's and Indi's..... :mouthonfire:..... now thats HOT!!!

I noticed the reds seem hotter than the savinas
wouldnt know an exact scoville rating

but I would think the regular trinidad scorpion would be in the same ball park as well as the 7 pot.

It does depend quite a bit on your individual tolerance to different peppers. Personally my Carib Reds are way hotter than say a regular hab or scotch bonnet, but the 7 pot and scorpion are in a different league. I judge their hotness by how long it takes me to start hiccuping. Reds take about 10 seconds, 7s and scorps instantly send me into a hiccup frenzy.

Who knows maybe you have a freakishly hot Caribbean Red plant on your hands, too many variables to give an accurate guess over the internet. If you are really need to know, pay to have them tested at a lab near you. I believe its just a gas chromatography test they need to do, probably run you a couple hundred bucks.

Still stuck on the numbers eh papadaca? The only people who use them are the folks trying to get their names in record books. Pepper growers use them as a way to brag how hot their peppers could be, lie to their friends about how cool and macho they are when they eat them, and to try and impress the opposite sex. In other words they're pretty much useless to a grower.

I cannot agree with you more!!

For the most part they're not as high of SU numbers as what most people may think. That also applies to most of the chillis grown in North America. Jim Duffy posted some SU numbers on about 10 species a while ago and for the most part they're not what you would think they would be.

but I would think the regular trinidad scorpion would be in the same ball park as well as the 7 pot.
Red Savinas are usually not as hot as Caribbean Reds.

If your Caribbean Reds are as hot as your 7-Pot and Scorpion, that only means one thing... your 7-Pot and Scorpion are really mild.

EDIT:
I don't think I've ever seen pics of any of your chiles. post a couple of the actual pods, including the 7-Pot and Scorpion. that might help us locate the problem.

If your Caribbean Reds are as hot as your 7-Pot and Scorpion, that only means one thing... your 7-Pot and Scorpion are really mild.

EDIT:
I don't think I've ever seen pics of any of your chiles. post a couple of the actual pods, including the 7-Pot and Scorpion. that might help us locate the problem.

My Butch T's are chili-lings right now. Give me 3-4 months N I will take pics of those.

the 7 pods r small but i will get you pics. Im waiting a good 2-3 weeks for them to ripen.

EDIT:

that explains a lot about the Savinas...........

I wonder how a crossbreed would taste though... hmmmmmmmmmm carib red savina.......

My Butch T's are chili-lings right now. Give me 3-4 months N I will take pics of those.

the 7 pods r small but i will get you pics. Im waiting a good 2-3 weeks for them to ripen.
So basically you claim to have a Caribbean Red as hot as a 7-Pot and Scorpion without actually having any. :shocked:

Let me see if I have this right, your Caribbean Red habaneros "seem" to be hotter than your Red Savinas and you "think" the regular Trinidad Scorpion and the 7 Pot would be in the same ball park as what? Your Caribbean Red habs or the Red Savina's?

May I ask one question? What peppers have you grown and eaten?

Thanks

Let me see if I have this right, your Caribbean Red habaneros "seem" to be hotter than your Red Savinas and you "think" the regular Trinidad Scorpion and the 7 Pot would be in the same ball park as what? Your Caribbean Red habs or the Red Savina's?

May I ask one question? What peppers have you grown and eaten?

Thanks
+1, i think he is saying that his CR are hotter than the Savina's and are going to be just as hot as the Scorpions or 7pots. :crazy: if you ask me, i just ate a dorset naga with lunch today that little guy was toasty and i am going with Scorpions/7pots are going to be noticibly hotter than the CR.

I agree with everyone else. The numbers mean almost nothing. Pods can vary so wildly that two plants grown from the same seed in different locations can have two completely different heat levels. Heck I've had pods off the SAME PLANT where one was nice and edible and the other made me tear up from a tiny sliver. Best way to gauge heat is to taste a LOT of different peppers, and when you start getting that tolerance, make your friends (or some nice folks at THP) eat em too! It's real tough to judge year to year as well through tasting because tolerance changes a lot.

Back