• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking cast iron

I have a cast iron skillet and was wondering is it ok to use on the grill? or should I have a seperate one for the grill and one for the kitchen? I am just wondering about the smoke flaver getting into it. ideas anyone?

Petey, my opinion in you can use your cast iron anywhere you want...I have even used mine on a bed of coals from a campfire...just make sure it is seasoned really good...

AlabamaJack said:
Petey, my opinion in you can use your cast iron anywhere you want...I have even used mine on a bed of coals from a campfire...just make sure it is seasoned really good...
AJ,

That's how we clean ours! Throw them into a blazing pit and let them get red hot. The next day, wash them, apply a very thin layer of Crisco and bake for a few minutes.

Mike

Eggs and bacon in a CI skillet set directly on hot charcoal is one
of my favorite breakfasts! (Charcoal started on the ground & spread to
support the skillet after getting covered with grey ash).

ButchT

You didn't by chance want to to know which cast iron is best for smoking did you?

;)

Cast iron loves the grill. I season mine on the grill if they need it. It is less smoke and mess outside.

cheezydemon said:
You didn't by chance want to to know which cast iron is best for smoking did you?

;)

Cast iron loves the grill. I season mine on the grill if they need it. It is less smoke and mess outside.

no i just wanted to make sure that if I used it on the grill that it wouldn't like make everything else I cook in it inside taste like smoke/grill. sounds like it wouldn't so I should be fine. now what to make on the grill in cast iron is the question?

cast iron can be used in/on any fire or coals. But like AJ said make sure it is seasoned good. Have two that were my grandmas from Italy.the work fine
Dan

peter pepper said:
no i just wanted to make sure that if I used it on the grill that it wouldn't like make everything else I cook in it inside taste like smoke/grill. sounds like it wouldn't so I should be fine. now what to make on the grill in cast iron is the question?

Everything and anything.

Cheers, TB.

Cast iron is my substitute grill....

Just tonight, I got 2 cast iron skillets smoking hot in the oven, on broil.

I one, I put 2 rib eye steaks (well seasoned) and 2 tbsp of butter.

I the other, I put 8 jumbo prawns, and 2 tbsp of butter.

(leave it on broil)

To the prawns I added a bunch of garlic, parsley, worcestershire, salt and pepper.

NO FLIPPING NEEDED thus the beauty of cast iron....

The iron heats the food from below, while broil sears the top.

2 PHUCKING EASY.

cheezydemon said:
Cast iron is my substitute grill....

Just tonight, I got 2 cast iron skillets smoking hot in the oven, on broil.

I one, I put 2 rib eye steaks (well seasoned) and 2 tbsp of butter.

I the other, I put 8 jumbo prawns, and 2 tbsp of butter.

(leave it on broil)

To the prawns I added a bunch of garlic, parsley, worcestershire, salt and pepper.

NO FLIPPING NEEDED thus the beauty of cast iron....

The iron heats the food from below, while broil sears the top.

2 PHUCKING EASY.

right on....thanks
Never tried that before...
I also do my rib eyes in cast iron...but flip'em

What do you use for seasoning?

Essence, (home mixed), or just salt and pepper.

Smoked homegrown pepper powder is always a good choice!

I like my steaks either well seasoned, or lightly seasoned but served with grilled jalapenos.YUM YUM.

AlabamaJack said:

I concur. Cast Iron is practically created for an open fire.

Yup, that's why my Erie CI Griddle has a bail handle..so it could be hung over a fire. Even 100+ yrs later, it still balances near perfectly that way.

Also it's nice to pick it up with. ;)

Yeah, it's amazing stuff. This griddle is a 12"-er and only about 1/4" thick for most of it, but it's gotta weight 5-7lbs.

Even after taking the oven cleaner to it to try and remove some seriously stubborn carbonized gunk, it's still smooth as glass and has the 'slippery' feel on the top. Still a few spots that just won't come off as I ran out of oven cleaner. Heh. It'll be fixed up soon and re-seasoned though.

It'll be kicking around for 'nother 100yrs probably.

If ya into CI, I highly recommand this website: http://www.griswoldandwagner.com

Thay have lots of good info. and a really cool and friendly forums.

Back