• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Cedar planks

Does anyone use the cedar planks sold for grilling fish, chicken or other delights...?
They're pretty expensive and appear to be only clear grade Western Red Cedar 1x6 T/G that's been rounded over on on both linear ends. Now I know those aren't treated with preservatives, but the cedar shakes sold for shingling roofs are treated and not to be used in food prep.
If this sounds interesting and you don't mind a DIY project, get yourselves some cedar T/G 8 ft'ers, cut them into 16" pieces, round over or square up the ends and sand smooth on one side.......pretty easy, pretty reasonible.
Soak them and grill your favorites...

Greg

I eat salmon at least twice a week and almost always put them on a cedar plank and my grill. I used to get the pre-packaged 5 planks for $20 then realized that they sell "raw untreated" cedar at Home Depot for about a buck a piece. Apparently they ordered them to be used for fencing so they are the perfect size at 4" wide and they cut them to whatever length you want. The first time I got some the guys at the HD knew exactly what I wanted and already knew what size to cut them to be used in a weber kettle grill. They said 95% of the cedar they sell is used for cooking and they end up selling a lot of it just for that purpose.

I eat salmon at least twice a week and almost always put them on a cedar plank and my grill. I used to get the pre-packaged 5 planks for $20 then realized that they sell "raw untreated" cedar at Home Depot for about a buck a piece. Apparently they ordered them to be used for fencing so they are the perfect size at 4" wide and they cut them to whatever length you want. The first time I got some the guys at the HD knew exactly what I wanted and already knew what size to cut them to be used in a weber kettle grill. They said 95% of the cedar they sell is used for cooking and they end up selling a lot of it just for that purpose.

Hey LGHT,
Thanks for a response,

I believe what your saying, At my old house I completely gutted the basement and remodeled it with 1x6 T/G cedar, walls and ceiling, entire area. I worked with a guy who came by just to pick up the cutoffs and scraps, cedar is very soft and he used it for kindling for his fireplace.....it does smell pretty good.

Greg

Back