• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Chalk layer

Really wasn't sure where to post this one but here goes...

My garden has a layer of solid chalk about 6-12 inches down, it's not ideal having such shallow soil and really limits what I can grow. I grow all my fruit and veggies in containers but I recently got some comfrey without thinking about the fact that it has extremely deep roots.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with shallow chalky soil, is there any use in me trying to "break through" the layer of chalk or is it likely to be too thick for that?

likely will be to thick and you go through the layer at all and replace the area with soil - must be a very neutral soil as well 

Comfrey roots can go down I think 10+ feet.  But they can also break through rock to get the minerals they need.  I think you will be fine.

Thanks guys

millworkman said:
Comfrey roots can go down I think 10+ feet.  But they can also break through rock to get the minerals they need.  I think you will be fine.
Man I hope so, I've been digging a small area and have established the chalk is at least a foot thick. I guess the only thing to do is whack the comfrey in the ground and see how it gets on : )

Gypsum or chalk? I don't think I've ever heard of someone having chalk soil before. Learn something new every day. 

did a quick google on your situation and you got major chalk!

i would think that your ph levels would be too high for any type of in ground, pepper growth. 1 major rain and ph levels are sky high. comfrey or not, you have an environmental condition.

i would think your best option would be a raised garden bed with imported potting soil. something like 2X12" and even that, i would mount 2 high for a height of 24". or those large root bags might be your best choice.

good luck and thanks for sharing, the Needles and White Cliffs look pretty wicked.

Jeff H said:
Gypsum or chalk? I don't think I've ever heard of someone having chalk soil before. Learn something new every day.
Yeah its defo chalk, sucks ass.

Burning Colon said:
did a quick google on your situation and you got major chalk!

i would think that your ph levels would be too high for any type of in ground, pepper growth. 1 major rain and ph levels are sky high. comfrey or not, you have an environmental condition.
Yeah I wouldn't even attempt to grow peppers in the ground, my little puppies are all in pots as well as the aubergines and strawberries. Good idea with the raised bed, I did actually install one last year, it's got potatoes in it this year (which are doing fairly well).

I've just put some toad lillies in the ground which seem to be flourishing, all I can do is put the comfrey in and see what happens. If it doesn't do well, I've got some woodland near me with much better soil, may go on a commando mission and plant some up there.

Burning Colon said:
good luck and thanks for sharing, the Needles and White Cliffs look pretty wicked.
They are pretty cool, there's a particular spot on the cliffs called beachy head which is supposed to be the number 1 suicide spot in Europe, probably frustrated gardeners who can't plant anything in their deep chalk gardens : S

Back