• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Cheap nursery pots?

Does anyone know where I can get cheap nursery pots in the 5 gallon+ sizes here in San Diego or online? I haven't looked too much but what I have found on Amazon doesn't seem to be a deal at all, price per pot comes out to be around $2.40. I know here in my area there is quite a bit of nurseries and could probably call them up and see if they have spares. But I'd figure I'd ask here before I resort to old used nursery pots.

Or just tell me to suck it up and go nursery hunting.

Landscapers, plant nursery, call all around like I did to find not one of the places will not give them away!!!! Whats with people getting free nursery pots I hear, everywhere I call they say nope :halo: Lucky if you can find them free I guess. I never really went for buckets only nursery pots.

But with all that said, I buy them now for 72 cents per #1 (.7 gal) black nursery pots and 1 buck for each stronger black #2 pots.

Landscapers, plant nursery, call all around like I did to find not one of the places will not give them away!!!! Whats with people getting free nursery pots I hear, everywhere I call they say nope :halo: Lucky if you can find them free I guess. I never really went for buckets only nursery pots.

But with all that said, I buy them now for 72 cents per #1 (.7 gal) black nursery pots and 1 buck for each stronger black #2 pots.
I never said free.. just looking to get cheaper pots.

I couldn't find better prices than here... got 100 1 gallon pots a month ago.. I'll have to get another set of 100 by the end of this week about
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/

This is where I get mine, along with bales Pro-Mix BX, large bags of perlite and vermiculite, and seedling nursery pots and trays. They are a great company with very reasonable prices, good customer service, and fast shipping. You can get 45 7 gallon pots (a little over 6 gallon actual capacity) for $82, but I only live an hour away so I just drive up there and pick them up. It's going to cost you about $35 (I just put in a random California area code and used the estimator) to get that kind of quantity shipped there but it might be an option if you're not able to find them locally. It would come out to somewhere around $2.50 after taxes and shipping.

Does anyone know where I can get cheap nursery pots in the 5 gallon+ sizes here in San Diego or online? I haven't looked too much but what I have found on Amazon doesn't seem to be a deal at all, price per pot comes out to be around $2.40. I know here in my area there is quite a bit of nurseries and could probably call them up and see if they have spares. But I'd figure I'd ask here before I resort to old used nursery pots.

Or just tell me to suck it up and go nursery hunting.

The cheapest I've ever gotten the good heavy 5 gallon nursery pots for is $2.25 each. Nurserys won't give them away but they will sell you used ones at discounted prices.

Lowes in my area sell 5 gallon buckets for about 1.50 a piece. I don't know about high quantity, but worth a shot.

Lowes in my area sell 5 gallon buckets for about 1.50 a piece. I don't know about high quantity, but worth a shot.

damn your lucky I think Lowes sells them for $2.50 here.. I'll have to check that out... it's nuts a Tractor Supply sold them last year for $2.50 I thought for the 5 gallon buckets, but I went back and checked a week ago and they were trying to sell them for $5 a bucket..!! I was like.. who the hell wants to buy a 5 gallon bucket for $5??

Thanks for all the info guys. I actually was at IKEA recently and seen some trashcans that were only $1.99 They caught my eye initially because the red ones look like Devo power domes but these little trashcans could work out as they are almost 4 gallon size and cheaper than any nursery pot I have seen yet.

fniss-wastepaper-basket__50398_PE146913_S4.jpg

But I'll keep looking.

No one sells standerd nursery pots around you like #4's or #5's?

I had a hard time too, but keep looking, any hydro shops close by?

yeah really, CA should have tons of hydro and plant shops.. in CT we have a few but they don't sell nursery pots, I just had to scavenge a few old nursery pots (like a total of 10 in different sizes) for free, and they have the basic generic stuff.. but it's just an Agway.. it would be cool if they had any hydro shops around here.. would be fun to walk around and check them out for a while, probably end up spending more money on stuff I don't need lol

Thanks for all the info guys. I actually was at IKEA recently and seen some trashcans that were only $1.99 They caught my eye initially because the red ones look like Devo power domes but these little trashcans could work out as they are almost 4 gallon size and cheaper than any nursery pot I have seen yet.

fniss-wastepaper-basket__50398_PE146913_S4.jpg

But I'll keep looking.

Is it me or does that look like it would tip over/blow over quite a bit?

I would think that the less space on the bottom would kind of suck for roots.. I would prefer a nice bucket.. oh and you can also go around to food places and ask for buckets, that's what apparently a lot of people on here do... I still have to do a bucket run sometime soon and see if I can't get some, never asked before, but it's worth a shot

and for the extra $0.50, I think the 5gallon bucket would be worth it

I just want to note that the pots are not their final home(for most) as I am waiting on moving in to my new home in a couple months and need something for the time being.

No one sells standerd nursery pots around you like #4's or #5's?

I had a hard time too, but keep looking, any hydro shops close by?
Yes and Yes. There are places that sell them but they are in the $4.99 and up, for 5 gallon+, and over 35 pots the price adds up.

I would think that the less space on the bottom would kind of suck for roots.. I would prefer a nice bucket.. oh and you can also go around to food places and ask for buckets, that's what apparently a lot of people on here do... I still have to do a bucket run sometime soon and see if I can't get some, never asked before, but it's worth a shot

and for the extra $0.50, I think the 5gallon bucket would be worth it
I don't follow you on the logic of the "less space at the bottom" statment. As almost all pots that are on the market are tapered and not once have I read even on this forum that a tapered container has neglected the plant, from Solo cups to any type of pot.

So it not that I don't have money or the places the buy them, I was just looking for a good deal. I just think it's a waste to buy all these pots at a high cost when the plants are just going to be put in the ground withing a couple months.

I just want to note that the pots are not their final home(for most) as I am waiting on moving in to my new home in a couple months and need something for the time being.

Yes and Yes. There are places that sell them but they are in the $4.99 and up, for 5 gallon+, and over 35 pots the price adds up.

I don't follow you on the logic of the "less space at the bottom" statment. As almost all pots that are on the market are tapered and not once have I read even on this forum that a tapered container has neglected the plant, from Solo cups to any type of pot.

So it not that I don't have money or the places the buy them, I was just looking for a good deal. I just think it's a waste to buy all these pots at a high cost when the plants are just going to be put in the ground withing a couple months.

oh it just looked like from the picture that it tapered down a lot, much more so than other ones.. making it top heavy, but then again it is probably just the picture because that wouldn't make sense to design a garbage bucket that would topple over all the time lol

and yeah, if they are just going in the ground.. why not just use 1 gallon buckets for now.. I mean unless they are really big...? do you have pics of the plants?

Back