artwork Check Out My New Logo

It will be my brand and will be on the front but I also hope to re-brand sauce names.  For instance, if I have a sauce named Ghost Rider I could also have a Ghost Rider BBQ sauce, Ghost Rider wing sauce, Ghost Rider dry rub, etc.  Basically, create a line of products based on a specific sauce.  That way I can reinforce the name.  

Cool, because Ken's Pepper Mill - Habanero could be confusing and branding names of sauces will help clear it up, and people will probably refer to is as the brand, or just Ken's (brand here). :)

PS. Just a thought. I wonder if an image of a watermill with a red "lava hot" river would make it look like sauce. Just food for thought. :)

The Hot Pepper said:
Cool, because Ken's Pepper Mill - Habanero could be confusing and branding names of sauces will help clear it up, and people will probably refer to is as the brand, or just Ken's (brand here). :)

PS. Just a thought. I wonder if an image of a watermill with a red "lava hot" river would make it look like sauce. Just food for thought. :)

I had not thought of that one.  Or maybe a river of peppers upstream of the water mill and floating hot sauce bottles downstream.  All too much for a logo though.  Would make a good t-shirt ;-)

I like it, no it may not be in line with traditional pepper mill, but thinking outside the box is good, the name leaves you open for a variety of pepper product's, aftrr all your not selling a mill

Saw mills don't make saws, betty crocker does not use a crock pot

pepperdan said:
I like it, no it may not be in line with traditional pepper mill, but thinking outside the box is good, the name leaves you open for a variety of pepper product's, aftrr all your not selling a mill

Thanks pepperdan.  It's good to hear a positive response.  The negative response has gotten me a little bummed out. All my input outside The Hot Pepper is about 80% for and 20% against.  I can't say the slogan had nothing to do w/ it.  W/out the slogan I may have used a different name.  Anyway, all this talk has me thinking about replacing the handle w/ a smokestack made from a hot sauce bottle billowing smoke.  More like a factory than a grinder.

Well I live in a town that is know for a steel "mill" yes it produces steel, it is a factory but it makes several types of steel, it takes raw iron ore and adds carbon and makes steel, they call it a mill

So its debatable wether a pepper mill produces anything, in fact it does not, it takes a product (pepper corns) and grinds them, it does not produce anything, its nothing more than a coffee grinder, so technically it is falsely named

Now for argument sake compare it to a flour mill, it takes raw grain and turns it into flour, it can also take raw grain, and turn it into germ, whole wheat flour, and all purpose flour etc.its not just flour

So you are a pepper mill, you are taking hot peppers and turning it into several products, sauce, powders etc

No disrespect to those that disagree, but its another point of view, I'm good with kens pepper mill, I wish you the best of luck milling out some pepper products

...at one of my farmer's markets the booth next to me is a "spice mill" - ad it is universally understood that its a place that dries and grinds herbs, spices and hot peppers.

Likely because a "mill" is not a general term for a place that produces things as has been stated here. That's a strange definition, and one that doesn't jibe with the noun or verb "mill".

Mills, by water, human or animal power were traditionally used to grind grains to flour with stone.

Every definition I've seen indicates that it is specific to "grinding", which is likely why so many of us here have suggested that for a hot sauce producer it's a little confusing.

Even the verb "milling" means to cut things down in the process of machining.

Here's the applicable definition of "mill":
"Noun
A building equipped with machinery for grinding grain into flour."

So it's not really like we all have a different perspective - it's what the word means. If you're calling your company a "pepper mill" everyone with a modest vocabulary is going to believe you're making pepper powders.

I mean no disrespect whatsoever - this is intended as constructive. You said it's too late to change it because its been changed once?  I'd suggest it's only too late to change it once you have bottles with labels on them
In the store.

Good luck!
pepperdan said:
Well I live in a town that is know for a steel "mill" yes it produces steel, it is a factory but it makes several types of steel, it takes raw iron ore and adds carbon and makes steel, they call it a mill
Right - they call it a mill because they're milling - using equipment to grind or cut metal.

So its debatable wether a pepper mill produces anything, in fact it does not, it takes a product (pepper corns) and grinds them, it does not produce anything, its nothing more than a coffee grinder, so technically it is falsely named
You lost me here - it's not debatable. If you call something a pepper mill, one expects it to mill peppers by definition.

Now for argument sake compare it to a flour mill, it takes raw grain and turns it into flour, it can also take raw grain, and turn it into germ, whole wheat flour, and all purpose flour etc.its not just flour

Those are all types of flour. It's just flour. Additional processes are required for wheat germ, but it must first be milled.

No disrespect to those that disagree, but its another point of view, I'm good with kens pepper mill, I wish you the best of luck milling out some pepper products
And none taken - but I respectfully disagree with your point of view. Everything you describe is milling - and hot sauce would not fall under that definition.

[SIZE=medium]Thanks for the input.  I welcome constructive criticism and am considering changing my name.  My “play on words” is apparently confusing to most.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What you are saying is correct when used as a verb.  But when used as a noun, a mill is also a factory.  I don’t know which online dictionaries are best, but thefreedictionary.com (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mill), under item 5, lists a mill as:  [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]A building or group of buildings equipped with machinery for processing raw materials into finished or industrial products: a textile mill; a steel mill.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]A building or collection of buildings that has machinery for manufacture; a factory.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A steel mill does not just cut or grind.  It takes raw ore or pig iron, liquefies it, separates impurities, shapes it, rolls it, etc.  A textile mill takes fabrics and weaves, sews and builds clothing.  thefreedictionary.com also lists your definition “A building equipped with machinery for grinding grain into flour or meal.”  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]With that said, maybe I should change the name to Ken’s Pepper Works.  Or Ken’s Pepper Plant.  Or does that sound like I’m selling plants?  Either way I could change the grinder handle to a smokestack made from a smoking hot sauce bottle and it would look pretty cool.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If anyone has other name ideas using my existing design “Ken’s something else”, I would love to here them.  Keep in mind that I will be an artisan spicy foods company selling more than hot sauce.  That’s just what I’m starting with.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Thanks to everyone for the valuable insights and I look forward to more ideas and discussion.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ken[/SIZE]

PepperDaddy said:
[SIZE=medium]Thanks for the input.  I welcome constructive criticism and am considering changing my name.  My “play on words” is apparently confusing to most.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What you are saying is correct when used as a verb.  But when used as a noun, a mill is also a factory.  I don’t know which online dictionaries are best, but thefreedictionary.com (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mill), under item 5, lists a mill as:  [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]A building or group of buildings equipped with machinery for processing raw materials into finished or industrial products: a textile mill; a steel mill.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]A building or collection of buildings that has machinery for manufacture; a factory.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A steel mill does not just cut or grind.  It takes raw ore or pig iron, liquefies it, separates impurities, shapes it, rolls it, etc.  A textile mill takes fabrics and weaves, sews and builds clothing.  thefreedictionary.com also lists your definition “A building equipped with machinery for grinding grain into flour or meal.” [/SIZE]

Well, I used the Websters - probably slightly better than the free online dictionary, but that's splitting hairs. 

But make no mistake: a Mill is not called that because it is "a building or collection of buildings that have machinery for manufacture; a factory" - a factory is a looser definition, and if you called your company "pepper factory" it would be sensible.

But while true that a mill is a factory, not all factories are mills, which is where you're off-base. A mill is a very specific type of factory - one that mills things. Milling is a grinding, or cutting down (metals/grains/textiles) and while all of those examples are on point, it is not a natural association to go from specific (milling) to general (the place where milling takes place = factory, by loose definition). Example: a steel mill performs milling, among the other indications. But it is called a mill for a very specific reason.  It has machinery used in the milling process. 

Again, I'm not the end all be all here, but I do enjoy language debates, and this is a good one.  Here's what Websters has: 

: 

1   a building provided with machinery for grinding grain into flour

: a machine or apparatus (as a quern) for grinding grain

: a machine for crushing or comminuting

[/QUOTE]Note: the 1st or 2nd definitions are the most commonly understood meaning of the word. If the free online dictionary has it 5th (Websters had your definition 4th btw) then it's unlikely to be commonly understood - the synonym "factory" would be more fitting which is why they provide it. 

Ironically, if you left your company name alone, and produced ground peppers as your 1st line of product, and became known for your ground pepper powders, then LATER came out with a line of hot sauces, no one would even blink. They'd just say, "hey, you try that new line of hot sauces from the pepper mill? Yeah - they're great!"  But if you start with hot sauce, people will be confused. 

If you meant pepper factory (general term), then call it pepper factory. The presence of the word "mill" brings up a very narrow and specific type of factory, and one that would not ordinarily be associated with hot sauce (or any liquid for that matter). 

I'll see what name suggestions I can think of, but in my opinion, "mill" is going to be confusing to people. That said, it's your company and you can name it whatever you want. 
:cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:
I second Ken's Pepper Works. Or third since you actually came up with it. It also allows you to name a sauce KaPoW! Which is pretty damn cool.

Love that!!!

Scoville DeVille said:
or even pepper infused yogurt. lol

I'll give ya some pepper-infused yogurt, you sexy thing you. 

Back on topic....I like "Ken's Pepper Plant" too, as "plant" is a generic term for factory or a production facility. 

I don't think anyone would associate it with plants, as most of those places are called "garden centers", "nurseries", etc. 

Well, it looks like a name change is in order.  I absolutely love my slogan but I have another good slogan waiting in the wings.  It also looks like I have a new product.  A pepper infused yogurt called KaPoW!  As long as nobody thinks I'm a fireworks stand selling dairy products  :P 

LD, we can agree to disagree on the definition of a mill.  We are both stubborn and convinced we are right.  That's a dead end.

So a small change to the logo name and replacing the grinder handle w/ a smoking hot sauce bottle ($75), $25 to register a new name w/ MO (2nd time), $15 for a new domain, and then I guess a new FEIN?  Maybe not?  If the name officially changes does the FEIN move w/ it?  I'll have to ask an accountant.  And then there's my checking account.  Not all that bad I guess.

What does everyone think of the smoking hot sauce bottle for a smokestack? 

PepperDaddy said:
It also looks like I have a new product.  A pepper infused yogurt called KaPoW!
:rofl: I'll take three please.

It was actually what I was eating when I posted that.
1 Cucumber peeled and seeded
2-3 Jalapeños
16 oz Greek plain Yogurt
1-2 tsp Cumin
1-2 tsp granulated garlic

Dip (scoop) toasted pita bread in it.

I would need to see the smokestack design.
It sounds good to me, but you gotta put your art on the wall for me to critique it. lol

++++++10 to Pepper Works!!!

Pepper Mill still sounds like some kind of "grinding" operation.  I agree with all the other posts that pepper mill is not a good name for a sauce operation.  You can split hairs and quote semantics...but it would be an up-hill battle to re-educate the population. 

"Pepper Works" is a great name!  and can incorporate many different things like sauces, powders, dry mixes....very versatile! 

Make it easy for yourself and your customers.  Don't pick a name you'll be fighting to explain to your customers at every event and every festival for years and years and years...... and the millionth time you have to explain why your sauce company is called a pepper MILL when it sells SAUCES....

edit- I for got to include ---
and the millionth time you have to explain why your sauce company is called a pepper MILL when it sells SAUCES....

:banghead:    

(where's the :runoffclifftoselfdestruct: emoticon)  

edit- fixed the BOLDs   :)

further edit-

I've been criticized because "Texas Creek Products" doesn't sound like a hot sauce company.  But I do much more than hot sauces.  And at the time, the name was chosen so it could encompass salad dressings, mustards, dry spices, lavender products, handmade soaps.....and some other stuff.  just sharing... 

Think down the road, choose a brand name that will work long term. 

pepperdan said:

Somehow I missed this post.  Wow...just....wow. 

A saw mill MILLS wood. e.g. cuts it into smaller pieces with machinery - milling machinery. That's why they call it a saw mill.  

The Betty Crocker reference doesn't even make enough sense to address it. 

salsalady said:
You can split hairs and quote semantics...but it would be an up-hill battle to re-educate the population.
This. 

PepperDaddy -  We can agree to disagree about a commonly understood definition.  

But I'll leave you (and this discussion) with an example:  I do 4 FM's a week. I interact with 1000s of people every single week. And about 5% of the people that come up to my booth ask me "Is it for dogs?" or "so I use it on hot dogs?" (based, presumably by "dog" and "hot" being in the same phrase). 

That is the level of insight your audience has. Just because you are capable of making the loose association that somewhere that mills things is also a factory, to 99% of the English speaking world, they're going to see your name and think you sell ground peppers. 

As SalsaLady put it, you'll be fighting an uphill battle. But as I said before - it's your company. Name it whatever you want. 

Back