• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Check out this orange habanero still healthy and covered in fruit

Sorry for crap pic, took it on my phone tonight. I'll get better pics soon, but this thing is huge, probably almost 3 feet tall and still covered in peppers. I ate two of them, nice and tasty orange habs.

It's growing at the 21st street co-op (college housing thing). It freaks them out when I eat them straight off the plant. Apparently this isn't normal behavior. I try to convince them that I am in fact human, they still make my nose run lol.
3233202902_9f7ecb8147_b.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...833&spn=0.001052,0.002414&t=h&z=19&iwloc=addr

cheezydemon said:
I love orange habs......

Mine was a monster too.

Thanks for the crappy pic......I mean!! Thanks for sharing!;)

LOL the pic isn't the important part. The important thing is that this is growing UNPROTECTED outdoors in the ground and it is Jan 28th and we've had a few freezes. Not only is it getting by, but it is huge, green and covered in fruit. It's amazing. And our winter is almost over a far as freezes go so if this guy can hold out 4 weeks he's home free. Can't wait to see how big a 2nd year orange habanero gets when it doesn't have to take the winter off.

I may have been a wee bit trashed when posting last night so I forgot to mention that lol

Txclosetgrower said:
LOL the pic isn't the important part. The important thing is that this is growing UNPROTECTED outdoors in the ground and it is Jan 28th and we've had a few freezes. Not only is it getting by, but it is huge, green and covered in fruit. It's amazing. And our winter is almost over a far as freezes go so if this guy can hold out 4 weeks he's home free. Can't wait to see how big a 2nd year orange habanero gets when it doesn't have to take the winter off.

So, being a dutiful chilehead, you collected seeds of this hardy specimen, right?

Right?

A few years back, we were having a drought. Every day, coming and going to work I drove past this construction site, and right at the edge, in a snarl of red clay and gravel, was a Mexican sunflower. That thing bloomed and bloomed and bloomed, it was even backed over by a truck, and still it bloomed like crazy. I tried to get the construction people to let me go on the lot and get some seeds, but they muttered something about liability and safety and wouldn't let me. So, I had to be at work on a Sunday on fine August morning, and I crawled under the fence and got my seeds.

Pam said:
So, being a dutiful chilehead, you collected seeds of this hardy specimen, right?

Right?

A few years back, we were having a drought. Every day, coming and going to work I drove past this construction site, and right at the edge, in a snarl of red clay and gravel, was a Mexican sunflower. That thing bloomed and bloomed and bloomed, it was even backed over by a truck, and still it bloomed like crazy. I tried to get the construction people to let me go on the lot and get some seeds, but they muttered something about liability and safety and wouldn't let me. So, I had to be at work on a Sunday on fine August morning, and I crawled under the fence and got my seeds.

If yall want seeds I can pick some out of my poo when I take my morning constitutional. :lol:

But seriously, if anyone wants some it won't be any trouble to go pick a few pods and dry them. I can pretty much guarantee they'll breed true too, since they only have 1 pepper plant as far as I can see.

On second thought, I think I have some pods from this plant that I air-dried a few months back. Don't think I de-seeded.

Also, we had another freeze last night....I'll have to call my friend that lives at the co-op and see if she can check and see if this thing lived through it. If it did I'll tell her to grab me some pods.

Txclosetgrower said:
If yall want seeds I can pick some out of my poo when I take my morning constitutional. :lol:
Hmmmm... I wonder if those would still be viable..... :think: I just might do an experiment this year....

imaguitargod said:
Hmmmm... I wonder if those would still be viable..... :think: I just might do an experiment this year....

Works for nature. I'm pretty sure that was EXACTLY what nature had in mind when it put seeds inside edible things.

MrArboc said:
IGG is not a bird - rainbowberry is!

Yeah, but good luck getting her to pick seeds out of her poo :lol:

Speaking of RB, where's she at? I haven't seen her around in awhile.

Scott Roberts said:
Glad to see your plant still producing fruit. It's gonna be another 4 or so months for me (when it actually gets warm here).

Wish it was mine. All mine have died off for the winter, and they are sheltered on a balcony. I got months before I see a ripe pod.

Alright Tx, it is your duty this summer to collect and disperse these seeds to the chilihead community. I will take 10.

Back