Chefs Dish It Out

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Are you a chef? Cooking with heat? Dish it out! Tell us your stories (good and bad), menu creations, etc.

No guests, search engines, or regular members can see in here. So talk freely!

Have questions for chefs and chef/owners? Ask!

(This was created so TB could tell us about his new job. But all chefs, please chime in!)

I say TB needs special rules for TDs - he gotsta make all his TD entries at home! No professional kitchens! ha!
:cheers:

I'm no chef but I have worked in restaurants and seen things. horrible things. Things that'd make a man weep and tremble.

I also have several friends in the industry. Those poor bastards.

Not a chef but have dozens of friends that are, one will be on triple D in a few weeks in the Outer Banks of NC. He was hired right after by Trump camp to work at Trump's place in Hawaii. I have cooked for the last 25 years and do pretty well for someone self trained. My knife skills are weak but don't bring a knife to a gunfight, dead on with a gun. :mouthonfire:

I ain't no chef but, I worked at Anthony's Homeport as a kid for a couple years.
http://www.anthonys.com/restaurants/detail/anthonys-homeport-shilshole-bay

Started as a dishwasher, and worked up to Prep cook and then onto the line behind the fryer.
The Line had 5 coooks and the Chef, and two in the pantry.
It was one of the best times I've ever had. It was like a well oiled machine that ran on :high:
Crankin out 800 covers every night, and like 1600 on Mother's day.
We all wore white chefs coats with the white pants, and every time a prep cook would de-ink the squid for Callimari,
Allison got two reach-around hand prints on her boobs. It never got old.
Cleanest restaurant I ever worked in... White glove treatment every night, under the prep tables, above the line on the vent hoods... everywhere.

Good times.

Oh scheeze louise! I have so many war stories I dunno' where to start.

Back in the day of the cave man and troglodyte I was working at a joint in Anchorage. The kitchen manager was a skinny little prick who enjoyed hassling the cooks in weird ways. We used to get fresh whole chicken breasts by the case. He liked to take and peel off the skin from the breast and throw it at some unsuspecting fool where it made a pronounced SPLATT! as it landed on the back of the targeted cook. Had it happen to me a couple times. Why get mad? Get even instead. We had a room at the back of the kitchen used for changing in and out of our street clothes. I came to my attention that the prick KM never wore underwear and always went commando style. One day I stapled 2 chicken skins to the inside of his pants just before he was to end his shift and go change. Standing outside the door to the changing room, we could literally hear the fool "sliding" into his pants followed by a very loud "YOU f**kING f**k MOTHERf**kERS!!!!!!". No more chicken skins were thrown in the kitchen after that.

aaahhhhh those were the days....

TB, did you have a signature dish at any of these places? And what will you be introducing to the new Nola joint?

TB, did you have a signature dish at any of these places? And what will you be introducing to the new Nola joint?

Don't know if I'd call them signature dishes but I did enjoy putting out hearty fare such as smoked cheddar cheese meat loaf, roasted garlic and sun dried tomato bisque (which I stole of Jens at Anchorage's Southside Bistro) heaps of fish and seafood dishes and of course Tex-Mex. I was making fish and shrimp tacos over 30 years ago. Y'all have seen a lot of my style since being on THP, you get the idea how I roll.

I'm not looking to start changing anything in my new endeavor preferring to showcase my skills over flappin' my jaws about it. Once its established I know what I'm doing I'll lead them to where they ultimately want to go. Until then I will wait for the opportunity to be creative when offered.

My feet hurt.

My back hurts.

I pity tha' fool that told me them lies about how glamorous it is working in a kitchen.

The kids in the kitchen were shocked to see me roll up in clean Chefwear pepper pants and black scrub top w/skull cap.

"Really? Why you dressed like that?"

"Because I'm a professional and this is what professionals wear. BTW, touch my knives and I'll cut off your johnson and throw it in the deep fryer. Capeche? Now lets have some fun up in here!"

Quit? Nah. This job is easy as it gets.

I'm not one of them 'motional whiny cooks that wants to go home after burning his pinky on the flattop.

There's one under 21 yo hottie front of house. She's a good gal and I'd never even think of going Roman Polansky on her.

I'm all strictly 'bidness at work.

'Sides, it never ends pretty if you're gettin' next to those you work with.

There is no such 'thang as No-Tell Motel.

There is no such 'thang as No-Tell Motel.

truf

I've witnessed several restaurant romances - they never ended well. Never. Bussers bangin barbacks, bartenders bangin line cooks, cooks bangin hosteses - this was back in the 80s and there was a LOT of cocaine flowing through the restaurant scene. I was never, ever into amphetimnes - tried as a 17 y/o and it made me hurl. I don't enjoy hurling, so I never got caught up in it. But pretty much everyone else in the scene was coked out of their minds.

About 1/2 the turnover we had in the restaurant was due to bad break-ups between staff members. crazy to think about it now. Seemed so normal at the time.

i wont even start to tell you some of the things ive done in coolers. but that was many many moons ago!
:rofl:

truf

I've witnessed several restaurant romances - they never ended well. Never. Bussers bangin barbacks, bartenders bangin line cooks, cooks bangin hosteses - this was back in the 80s and there was a LOT of cocaine flowing through the restaurant scene. I was never, ever into amphetimnes - tried as a 17 y/o and it made me hurl. I don't enjoy hurling, so I never got caught up in it. But pretty much everyone else in the scene was coked out of their minds.

About 1/2 the turnover we had in the restaurant was due to bad break-ups between staff members. crazy to think about it now. Seemed so normal at the time.

Back