Chefs Dish It Out

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Are you a chef? Cooking with heat? Dish it out! Tell us your stories (good and bad), menu creations, etc.

No guests, search engines, or regular members can see in here. So talk freely!

Have questions for chefs and chef/owners? Ask!

(This was created so TB could tell us about his new job. But all chefs, please chime in!)

neither were browned.

I don't know much about flattop cooking... but I think the diners keep the flattop hot for burgers, bacon, fried eggs... but scrambled and omelets are supposed to be cooked lower. So they brown on the hot flattop. And they cook fast so no time to properly shape. I didn't know you could really cook a proper omelet on a flattop but since you say it can be done, I wonder if it's a temperature thing, and diners are being lazy. Because seriously... I get pissed at these things they call omelets in my hood :lol:

TB will chime in. Flattop expert!

yea waiting for TB to chime in.....

we'd pour out the eggs on the flat top, throw down the fillings, fold it over, sprinkle cheddar on top, and slap a lid on it...... "(steam or whatever you want to call it to melt the cheese on top and get it all hot and gooey..)

not browned, sweet and yellow.. The flattop omlet was not "fluffy" like a pan omlet would be, but it was not brown or crispy.

hopin' the new gigs workin' for TB,

Me an expert on flattop cooking?

Maybe, maybe not.

While I agree the bestest omelette is done as mentioned by THP ala old school French in a pan, I've done a few 1000 or so I reckon on a well seasoned flattop.

Just as SL did, only I never tri-folded but rather rolled from one side to the other.

But even with some cream beat up with the eggs, its impossible to get that fluffiness THP described as cooked in a pan. Both techniques have their merit and I can work whatever, omelette's are as easy as flipping 3 eggs over easy in one pan.

THP ~ thanks for that link to the Toastmaster. I have never used that manufacturer, mostly Viking and Wolf which are industry standards along with other well know brands like Hobart. 2 'thangs wave a red flag for me on that griddle though, 1) the dang price is outrageously low and 2) I'd be leery of that polished griddle. It reminds me of Mirrorclean griddles that use lower heat output to supposedly achieve the same malliard effect. The only problem is that while you can hold your hand flat out a 1/4" above the cooking surface without worry of burning yourself, it doesn't make for a good malliard crust and forget about cooking a decent slider on 'em. They just don't have the heat that is needed to properly sear a nice smashed meat puck and then get the proper steam effect going on with the onions, melting cheese and the squishy bun.

Gimme' and old school gas flattop. One that I have to watch like a hawk the flame coming out of the burners themselves. I want to be able to see for myself which burner is running hot, and every good griddle has one that does.

I made up a gal of queso the other day for the owner to try out. I paid for the ingredients myself and gave it to some of his regular guests to try out. I sent out a cup to a dude that had a burger and fries. I sheeit you not that dude had the cup up to his mouth using 4-5 fries at a time to shovel queso into his mouf'! Others poured their cups of queso over their hash brown's and eggs. They loved it. Its odd that folks around here only think of queso as Tex-Mex and only for chips and tacos.

I might run a special next week with an open faced biscuit, topped with a split ham steak, 2 eggs any style, and you guessed it....
QUESO!

Its a slow process but once I get their business back to the volume that they used to do at breakfast and lunch, I'll work on their dinners.

The owners are of the thought that due to road construction and another new building that went up next door to them that their business is effected by that and that also their sign is not readily visible. That is total BS. I can't count the number of small out of the way joints that often were difficult to find and some didn't even have a sign on their building and that the food and service were so good it didn't matter. People went out of their way to find those joints. I did.

Cool Dan.

The only one I'd even consider out of the 3 you posted is the Wolf and that just because I know how solid and consistent they are. And the price on that one is very good for its condition!

I ain't in no witchin' hurry to pull the trigger on a flattop yet until I work out exactly when and how I'll use it. I'd love to have one at the casa for no damn reason to cook on.

But I'm also riding the fence about running a White Manna style burger joint for myself.

The cat in the vid needs to man up a little and is a bit goofy but the vid itself gives off some of that old school burger joint vibe.
And oh yeah, ever 'thang revolves around the flattop at the joint.

THP you need to get your road trip on to Hackensack!

I was actually an omlette chef for a local hotel for about 1.5 years on Saturdays & Sundays (I worked room service the rest of the time). I'd go out and stand at the end of the buffet with the big poofy white hat and smock, and had 4 burners to myself with a bucket of egg, and various bowls of fillings (bell pepper, meats, cheeses, veggies, etc).

For Sunday brunch there were two of us, and we each had this same set-up. It would get really boring slinging omlettes all day, so to keep ourselves entertained we'd start betting on who could do the highest flip. The room had 20' ceilings, so we got pretty insane.

On one fateful Sunday, my partner in crime was a little hungover, and we got up to about 12' flips - and he had a slight accident with a double cheese, ham and onion omlette. It went up the required height to best my last toss, but his angle was all wrong, Ended up landing in the middle of a 4-top and splattering ham & cheese all over the 4 guests who were (up until that moment) enjoying a lovely Sunday brunch.

My buddy was fired, and the next couple Sundays were pure hell since they had no replacement. So I said "screw this" and went back to f/t room service.

That was pretty fun though. I still make a hell of an omlette and can still do a great flip - but I don't have those sweet pans any more.

Well, I'm wishing TB all the best

but I can see how this could play out-

aw sheet- sub-challenge contest going out....some day, some way.......an OMLET CHALLENGE!!!!

OR- if it happens to be a grand opening and a person happens to be in town to cook-it-of.....that's all good, too.

Or, he'll open the Mana burger joint manana.

In which case we'll never see it. :rofl:

I don't know of anywhere around here that makes their own HBs, 'cept for maybe Sun Mntn Lodge, or The Freestone.
But who wants to pay $45 for two scrambled eggs and 3 baby red mornin taters?

I myself am always playing with my Omelets, I have the Calphalon Hard Anodized Aluminum cookware and three of them are Omelete pans, 8" 10" & 12". If I use two eggs in the 12" it comes out like what THP is describing. I put the fillings in immediately, and fold it all up like a burritto, very quick and easy with a lighter texture.

If I use the 10" with three eggs, I use a lid, and make sure the pan and the lid are up to temp (med-low). After pouring the eggs in I put the warm lid back on and constantly roll the pan like making a crepe. as soon as the eggs are almost set I add the fillings and remove from heat, fold in half and plate. It's and entirely different texture which I also like. Depends on my mood.

I ain't claiming to be no expert here, but the restaurant I worked at had no flat top. It had 16 burners for sautee, a grill (with flames), a fryer etc. but no flat top. I never worked the Sautee, and the only day we even did breakfasts were on Sundays. I just have learnt over the years to achieve the results I am craving.

If I did have a flat top, just imagine all the eggs I could fry at once. :D

We've managed to weed out all the riff raff and slackjawed pencil necked no load dip dunks out of the joint.

YAY!

Got a new gal that started today on the cold side doing salads and prep.

Cool.

For some reason I decided to freak with her noggin' and talk to her in my Christopher Walken voice.

Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J06BU6Fj6Qs

2) I'd be leery of that polished griddle. It reminds me of Mirrorclean griddles that use lower heat output to supposedly achieve the same malliard effect.

I ain't no expert but I think they all start off new as polished steel. Even Wolf. The used ones are just less polished looking on the cook surface and look like regular steel. You get that maillard reaction after 1000 boigers. :lol:

Hmmm maybe used it better anyway.

No, Scovie, he is not cooking duck.

My feet hurt.

My back hurts.

I pity tha' fool that told me them lies about how glamorous it is working in a kitchen.

The kids in the kitchen were shocked to see me roll up in clean Chefwear pepper pants and black scrub top w/skull cap.

"Really? Why you dressed like that?"

"Because I'm a professional and this is what professionals wear. BTW, touch my knives and I'll cut off your johnson and throw it in the deep fryer. Capeche? Now lets have some fun up in here!"

Lol, that's great TB.

Congratulations on making it through your first day!

I don't know of anywhere around here that makes their own HBs, 'cept for maybe Sun Mntn Lodge, or The Freestone.
But who wants to pay $45 for two scrambled eggs and 3 baby red mornin taters?

I myself am always playing with my Omelets, I have the Calphalon Hard Anodized Aluminum cookware and three of them are Omelete pans, 8" 10" & 12". If I use two eggs in the 12" it comes out like what THP is describing. I put the fillings in immediately, and fold it all up like a burritto, very quick and easy with a lighter texture.

If I use the 10" with three eggs, I use a lid, and make sure the pan and the lid are up to temp (med-low). After pouring the eggs in I put the warm lid back on and constantly roll the pan like making a crepe. as soon as the eggs are almost set I add the fillings and remove from heat, fold in half and plate. It's and entirely different texture which I also like. Depends on my mood.

I ain't claiming to be no expert here, but the restaurant I worked at had no flat top. It had 16 burners for sautee, a grill (with flames), a fryer etc. but no flat top. I never worked the Sautee, and the only day we even did breakfasts were on Sundays. I just have learnt over the years to achieve the results I am craving.

If I did have a flat top, just imagine all the eggs I could fry at once. :D

I hear you - I like the cook & fold style best personally. Really allows the egg seasonings to take and gives a nice texture.

At the hotel, we used oil (instead of my preferred butter) and we had 6" pans. 3 eggs worth, 2 eggs worth, 4 eggs - all went into the deep 6" - made for a great flip! A little flick of the wrist and *whoosh!* up into the air it went.

But as fun as tossin' 'em was, I prefer the cook - drop in the ingredients & fold method.

The other other way - the way I did it when cooking an omelette for myself at the hotel, was to toss in the ingredients (say, ham, egg, garlic, bell pepper), saute them, then pour in the 3 eggs. I guess that's "Denny's style". lol

lack of real potato HB's is a serious gripe of mine, and as SD said, the only 2 places what I think would serve real potatoes for HB are the 2 5+star resorts that charge $45 for 2 reds, 2 eggs, 1 EM, and 2 link.....

Do cooks not know HOW TO MAKE real potato hashbowns? Perhaps it is a unique thing...but fresh potatoes can be cooked and fried for AWESOME real/fresh hashbrowns. did it....for years~~~~

which just reminded me of another story....

Sunday of a (holiday weekend of whatever)...one of the other restaurants called us. They knew we used a certain spice and coffee supplier. They called to ask if they could buy a couple packages of (supplier X) sausage gravy mix. UUUmmm.....packaged gravy mix??? Sorry!!! We made our gravy from scratch!!!! Fry off the sausage..add butter...add flour........add 2g milk.....

Our hasbrowns were spuds cooked in house, peeled and coarse grated, we made the sausage gravy from scratch....and we sure as hell didn't charge $45 for a freekin omlet! Frickin eggs and spuds!!!! Seriously!!! even to order a Fry2 is $6!!!

Adam and Eve on a raft= $5.95 .... .... for freekin 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast!!!!!

OK, off the soapbox~~~ carry on~~~

Anyone who lands in my neck-o-the-woods can have their choice of flattop omlet or 12" non-stick saute p[an omlet.

Hang in there TB! trust me, the training phase is the hardest... ;) :cool:

What do you mean by "real" potatoes? What the heck are they using if not potatoes? Or do you mean those frozen planks? Yuck.

Yeah, LOVE good crispy hash browns. Flat on the top and bottom, but ragged on the edges, that's how ya know they're fresh! Tap the golden brown shell with a fork, it should crack revealing a pure white inside.

"flat on the top and bottom with the crispy edge, crack it to the pure white insides..." sounds like pre-frozen shredded spuds, slapped out on the flattop.... been there...cooked that.... ate it at many a cafe...(sorry!)

Those small shredds are really tasty with the white middles, but I would bet 10:1 that they are frozen spud shreds, not fresh cooked/peeled potatoes. The griddle oil they are cooked in also makes a difference as to how they taste with the breakfast.

The way I learned to cook hashbrown spuds was to pre-cook the potato (yes an actual real potato, dirt and all...), peel and then chop or shred to desired consistency. Shred or chunky....it's all about the FRESH spud....

Definitley not talking about fast-food-hockey-pucks.....

I know they are fresh because I cook 'em lol. Yours aren't flat and golden brown? I love 'em like that. Need a good weight.

Not pre-cooked here. Raw shredded tater. Rinsed (removes starch). Oil griddle and heat your weight by laying on griddle. Tater up. Weight down. Brown. Flip. Weight down. Brown. Salt only when done.

griddle_weight.jpg

Back