• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chewi's 2013 Grow - A Tale from North Texas

So, figured it was about time to start this year's glog since my neighbor up in Amarillo started his this morning. Thanks for the inspiration P. Dreadie! Also, thanks to everyone who sent me pods and powders last year. It really helped in planning for 2013!

Most of my plants struggled through last year due to not enough direct sun syndrome. As you can see from this picture, I have quite a canopy of trees. I have trimmed back quite a bit this winter and will take as much as I can right before plant out. Also plan to have a few planters by the carport as well as an additional few plants behind the fence. (you can't even see the back fence in this picture there are too many trees.

yard_zps21e32d1a.png

So, anyway I have a few OW and a few new seedlings from John Ford up in Oregon:

Not Peter
2013OWNotPeter_zpsc6b510f0.jpg

Limon

2013OWLimon_zps7d3c8646.jpg

Aji Joe's Chocolate Hand Grenades

2013ChocHandGrenades_zpsff930803.jpg

Everyone is just sitting in the window on sunny days, and in the ghetto grow cabinet when its overcast and the boss isn't here.

Sprouting the Birgit's Locoto for the grow down, but that one is at the house. More plants on the way in a few more weeks.

Say a prayer for less than 100 days over 100 degrees!

Way to go Rob on the tree trimming, if you are interested my oaks need it badly, lol. I'm assuming the larger ones are your OW's, that's nice so you'll have a jump ... do you have a list yet? Here's wishin you a great 2013 grow mon!

Edit: sorry I missed the OW line first read, WG's blind :/

That front yard of yours looks pretty open and usable ;) Although, I am the type that doesn't give a crap....you might like the front yard to be "the front yard" lol

What is that property behind your house? Will anyone know or care if you plant there? Just throw some seeds down and let them grow on their own lol

I've got some of Aji Joe's Chocolate hand grenades too. I'm excited to see what they produce.

OW's look good; everything looks good so far. Good luck in the 13' buddy!

Ramon you know if I was down there we could have many cold beers, grill some fish and trim some trees. Sometimes I wish I never left Sarasota......but Texas is home.

David that property is just open field basically. This old man is hanging on to it for whatever reason. Church kids come by about once a month and mow it. They get a little crazy with the riding mower and huge weed eater. I think about throwing some seed out there all the time though.

Trying to figure out a way to line up several pots along the outside of my back fence. Once I calculate how many hours of sun it gets back there I'll probably be set.
The front yard......the boss won't allow more than two or three pots on the front porch. They are going to have to be....I don't know how to say.....'decorative' pots as well.

Thanks for checking in fellas!

Maybe the owner of the back property will let you grow there in exchange for some peppers?

Chewi you sure do have a lot tree shade. Before the the thought of a big garden I bet folks loved the shade !! Great place to hang 'n' grill and eat.

You know you might talk to the old gent . Sometimes old men aren't really mean ... it's just their face .. oh wait that's me .. jesting

It would be a lot of work and cost some bucks ... but myself I talk to him . Tell him what you want to do and that it's small enough if he didn't like it could be removed the next year . Or to sweeten the pot tell him that area could be put to good use for a community garden . People from the Church could raise fresh produce for those who help or do it for the needy of the area. If the Church group got involved it sure would cut down on the cost and labor ! People love to do that stuff !!

All he can say is NO!! You're married .... you've heard that before and you're still with us .. and that tail does look good between your legs :rolleyes:

Peace,
P. Dreadie

I'm in the same boat, I also have a lot tree shade and no breadfruit tree either :/ I have 5 large Live Oaks (2 are over 100 years old) but I look on the bright side, I always have good smoking wood, lol. While some don't like that nutty, mild oak taste, it goes great with beef and pork. For fish I use dried out mangrove wood. Rob if you ever find yourself back down here, hail me and yes I’d love to have a beer :cheers:

Thanks guys, I think next time they are out mowing that area I will pop out and ask them to put me in touch with the owner of the property. Also, looks like those "chainsaws on a pole" contraptions are only running about $99 these days. I could do some serious damage with one of those!

Anyway, it was nice today so the babies are taking a sun bath. Just for a bit.

Newest addition: Bahamian Goat from Vincent
WP_000433_zps44682429.jpg

Then the Chocolate Hand Grenade twins from John Ford:
WP_000434_zps42487d8f.jpg

WP_000436_zpsf11a9bd3.jpg

Stems sure are thin, but I assume they will grow thicker as they are exposed to the wind.

Thanks for taking a look and remember, every day under 100 is a good day.

Cheers!
cheers_zps54ebeb68.jpg

Hey Chewi!

Found ya! Nice looking plants!

You would have to do a ton of cutting to open things up there. That lot behind the house looks good if you can get access, it never hurts to ask! I've been lucky with ranchers around here you just have to catch them right. I've been given access to harvest furniture grade Mesquite and deer by offering to help. So I hear you're clearing a lane? I can help with that. Too many does eating your oats? Give me a call. Maybe you can find out his favorite veggies and offer to grow for him..

Good luck with this years grow!

Scott

OK finally getting around to updating here.

So, got a new raised bed this year. GrowCamp. I like it quite a bit!

Anyway, was going to try this way -
WP_000768_zpsd0bacf42.jpg

Then this way -
WP_000769_zpsa2c4d973.jpg

Eventually deciding on this way -

WP_0007712_zpscc64817f.jpg

Going to get crowded in there, but that ok. I need trimming practice!

Have a few others outside of there in pots. Brazilian Starfish, Choc Habs and Pequin. Just moving them around to catch sun.

So got that up and running, and discovered a shit ton of Texas sized aphids! So, went and got 3,000 of these -

WP_000777_zps6a1de338.jpg

Let those suckers go and they immediately started munching!

[media]http://youtu.be/iRkDZz4aXh4[/media]

That same day, I found the biggest potato -
WP_000776_zpsd150452a.jpg

Also, just some random pod pics.

Starfish podding up nicely -

WP_000773_zpsc9bc7be8.jpg

Choc Hab has a few pods and tons of flowers -

WP_0007752_zpsedd35789.jpg

Tomorrow will be a week since the ladybugs were released. I'll update then. Fingers crossed!!

Edit....one day I will get rid of this Windows phone and post some decent pictures!

Hey man, its MGMC in there. Only thing I could find relatively affordable in the quantity I needed. I do have potted plants with hippie dirt though. Some ProMix BX and Fox Farms Ocean Forrest and MGMC to see how they grow and hopefully over winter them as well.

So just some random pods from this weekend I found while chatting with the ladybugs.

First pod on Aji Joe's Chocolate Hand Grenade - (plant from John Ford)
WP_000824_zps7d424779.jpg

Bonda Ma Jaques twins - (Plant from JoeMamma)
WP_000821_zpsfe736026.jpg

Chili Pequin - (plant from the nursery down the street)
WP_000849_zps96744c48.jpg

Brazilian Starfish - (from JoeMamma) I totally dig the flowers on these
WP_000828_zpsd58bac69.jpg

Black Stingers - (plant from Peidmont Farm and Garden)

WP_000822_zpsea7fb2ba.jpg

Still no Annuums outside of the Pequin since the first flush of Fresnos hmmmm.

Back