• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Chiapas turned red and sampled

This is one of the plants I got last weekend from origamiRN. I've been hunting all over the web trying to find Chiapas, which is a state in So. Mexico where there was a rebellion in the 90s, but that's all I can find about Chiapas, no chiles. Nothing at Chilliman either. I'm waiting to hear back from origamiRN but thought I would post here too. Here are some pics, loaded with pods

2q8vytc.jpg

14dnbd2.jpg

35n0apg.jpg

kf2h4p.jpg

Any ideas, ripe size, color, eat dried or fresh, clueless so I guess more :beer: and wait to see what happens

I think you have substituted the name of the state for the species of chile. There are certainly chiles from Chiapas, but I know of none with the state name.

Chiapas/Guatemala border area is a very dangerous place.

According to "The Complete Chile Pepper Book":

Chiapas chile = chiltepin in Chiapas Mexico.

So must be a strain of chiltepin since there are many variants of chiltepin chilies.

Thechileman.org lists 10 different varieties and has no pic for 4 of them.

No guarantee yours is a pure strain either.

Was out of town on business for the last three days and came home to this

2b1cpd.jpg

29wrpk.jpg

Decided it was time to taste, ate half of each and was like eating a sorrano on the heat scale IMF (feeble) O. Very little meat on them and would dry in a hurry. Green one was a little bitter but not bad. Think they need an expert opinion.

negqqv.jpg

Nice pics!
The chili will ripen to a deep red.
Last summer, I received some seeds from a THP friend in Mexico. I had asked him to send me some seeds from a variety of Pequins (one of my favorites). He labeled the seeds from the part of the country from which they originated, and these were labelled CHIAPAS. I do not know what their official name might be, so I called them Chiapas. It's my name for them. A couple of days ago, I looked at all of the chilis from Mexico that were in THECHILIMAN's data base, and the closest description I could find was for the Serrano Balin. The data base shows an immature chili, and describes it as bullet shaped. A description from another source lists the dimensions of the Serrano Balin, which match the size of this chili. But, there's no way to know for sure. This one looks very productive.

OK, I need to add something here, and correct my earlier post. I take back my statement about this pepper possibly being the Seranno Balin.

I'm driving from Central, California to south central New Mexico, and yesterday afternoon I was feeling sleepy behing the wheel...not a good thing, especially when towing a cargo trailer. So, I pulled over to take a break from driving, and remembered by babies in the back of my Jeep. I have a small Chiapas in a small soda cup with 6 ripe red peppers (and 6 green ones), and picked one. That woke me up in a hurry. I kept nibbling at it as I drove on, and it happily kept me awake until I stopped for the night in Socorro, NM. The pepper skin/flesh is very thin and the seeds are very small. Both of these are traits of Pequins, and not traits of Serranos. It had the same heat of other Piquins, and the heat quickly dissipated after 5 minutes. If anyone following this thread would like some seeds, I'll be happy to oblige later in the season. First, I need to figure out how to save my PMs, and clear out my mailbox.

Back