• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Chicken wing hot sauce

I have to admit as being new to making hot sauces I am becoming confused with the extreme influx of information this site has to offer!! :confused: Can someone point me in the right direction as to what different kinds of ingredients go best with chicken wings? I don't need a recipe, but rather suggestions on ingredients.

Thanks,
Shawn

I have to admit as being new to making hot sauces I am becoming confused with the extreme influx of information this site has to offer!! :confused: Can someone point me in the right direction as to what different kinds of ingredients go best with chicken wings? I don't need a recipe, but rather suggestions on ingredients.

Thanks,
Shawn

It really depends on what (flavor) you like and how hot (pepper) you want it. A friend makes a great garlic wing sauce with cayenne. I have my own line of Cajun sauces made with habenero; and DEFCON has an outstanding traditional wing sauce made with cayenne.

I like my wings super tangy with intense heat. Super tangy means lots of vinegar, but not a thin sauce. Also it needs a richness which can come from butter, cream, etc. (which can help thicken also). The flavor is up to you. There's your 5 key elements. You need to experiment to balance your tang, heat, richness, flavor, and consistency!

THP is right on the money as far as sauces go. Also, there are several awesome ways to prepare wings with dry spice blends.

Some of the best ings I've had were simply shaken in things like Old Bay seasoning or grated parmesean cheese.

I don't even think it's possible to make bad wings. Chicken is something that you can added nearly anything to and have it taste good. The trick is not going overboard. Beyond that, use your imagination and don't be afraid of trying different things. That's the fun part of cooking.

I don't even think it's possible to make bad wings. Chicken is something that you can added nearly anything to and have it taste good. The trick is not going overboard. Beyond that, use your imagination and don't be afraid of trying different things. That's the fun part of cooking.
Actually wings are pretty easy to mess up. I've had so many where you can taste the cooking oil, or they are bone dry tough. Then there's the breading or no breading debate. No breading for me. Let the skin soak up the sauce, not bread. The sauce is also key.

It's not as fool-proof as you think.

Lot's of bad wing joints by me.

I like my wings super tangy with intense heat. Super tangy means lots of vinegar, but not a thin sauce. Also it needs a richness which can come from butter, cream, etc. (which can help thicken also). The flavor is up to you. There's your 5 key elements. You need to experiment to balance your tang, heat, richness, flavor, and consistency!

Ok, sounds good! I'll just play around with some different ingredients until I find something I like! Thanks for the replies everyone!

Regards,
Shawn

Actually wings are pretty easy to mess up. I've had so many where you can taste the cooking oil, or they are bone dry tough. Then there's the breading or no breading debate. No breading for me. Let the skin soak up the sauce, not bread. The sauce is also key.

It's not as fool-proof as you think.

Lot's of bad wing joints by me.
Well, I was raised by women so I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. LOL
I've never had a problem with wings. I usually bake them on a rack over a cookie sheet until the skin looks dry then toss them into the deep fryer until they look the right color. Dump them in a massive bowl, cover in sauce, toss and dump on a plater. My only gripe is that my deep fryer isn't big enough. It's one of those cheap propane turkey fryers.

I think wings turn out best when done in a rotisserie, but I can't afford one those beasts.

I've been to Hooters, all their food sucks. LOL
When I was refering to making bad wings, I didn't mean resturant food. It's hard to find anything decent to eat at a chain resturant; although Ruby Tuesdays makes those Typhoon Shrimp and they're are pretty good. Damn it, now I'm hungry.

I have a question about any specific concerns involving the use of dairy products like butter or cream. I usually add butter to my wing sauce when I cook the wings but I'd like to experiment with an all in one wing sauce. Do you need extra preservatives or cooking methods for them to be shelf safe or do you generally just make them fridge safe? Would ghee or clarified butter work well?

I have a question about any specific concerns involving the use of dairy products like butter or cream. I usually add butter to my wing sauce when I cook the wings but I'd like to experiment with an all in one wing sauce. Do you need extra preservatives or cooking methods for them to be shelf safe or do you generally just make them fridge safe? Would ghee or clarified butter work well?

Potawi- it really depends on the rest of the ingredients and the pH of the sauce. You can always pressure can it and then there's no worries at all. I just did a batch of sauce that had a pH of <3.75 so I did a hot water bath to can it.

I don't know why ghee or clarified butter wouldn't work, but unless you use ghee instead of butter on a regular basis, that a pretty spendy ingredient.

I definitely don't want to be using a pressure cooker for my wing sauces. I think it was Defcon's sauces that are supposed to be refrigerated due to the dairy content so I just figure it can't be too easy to make shelf safe, and I just assumed clarified butter would work better than just regular butter.

Ok I just found the thread I was looking for. Thanks
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/528-shelf-life/page__p__4013

Back