• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Chile inspired Christmas dessert ideas?

Throwdown < Here's a link to the page on this month's Throwdown where I made a bacon-wrapped pear, covered in raspberry and chocolate sauces. I've never heard of or tried anything like that before, and frankly, it was amazing. Not only that, pretty easy to make.

Douglah Bourbon Chews < Here's a link to the cookie recipe SL referred to above.

Sorry, but the pics in both are dark, as my camera isn't all it could be. The cookies are really good, but in my mind the pear takes it for dessert. The double-nice thing about the pear, too, is that you can vary the amount of heat on any given pear - make one mild for someone who shouldn't be in the kitchen ( :D ), or make it HOT for someone who should. You can vary the heat by either increasing or changing the pepper powder used, just make sure the pepper goes with chocolate. I only made one pear, but there was enough of the raspberry sauce for 2 or 3, and enough chocolate sauce for 4+.

Edit: In my mind, any red pepper goes well with chocolate - cayenne for mild, douglah or congo trinidad for hotter, for example. I personally don't care for fatalii and chocolate, but that's not to say other yellows wouldn't.

I'm planning on making this recipe for peanut butter fudge, but adding some spice to it. I originally was going to use some Dragon Breath powder to spice it up, but instead I'm going to use salsalady's Pure Evil that she is letting a few of us test out. I'm going to add in the step where you add the powdered sugar and vanilla.

Someone on the Chilehead Group on FB just posted this:

Spicy Brittle

Everyone knows some one that loves the &ldquo;spicy&rdquo; stuff. Here is a recipe that even a non Chili Head might appreciate. This stuff is so good that I just had to share it with you. In my quest for the most &ldquo;Atomic&rdquo; heat out there I get to meet so many people that love the same things that I do. What a surprise it was, when my wife&rsquo;s cousin shot this recipe to me on Facebook. She made the comment with it that it might not be spicy enough; well let me tell you&hellip;this stuff is great. It wont make your gums bleed or allow you to develop the ability to cough fire but you will get some good heat from this recipe. Not only that, but you can add what you want! More or less cayenne, dry crushed Jolokia and/or Habanero Peppers even. Make it your recipe and tweak it any way you can, and then let me know how it turned out.
Most of all, just have fun!

So keep it Hot and Keep it Spicy!
Enjoy!

Original recipe:
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 cups dry-roasted peanuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a glass bowl, stir together the sugar, corn syrup, peanuts, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper until thoroughly blended. Microwave on high for 6 minutes. Slowly stir in the butter, and microwave an additional 30 seconds.
2. Very carefully remove bowl from the microwave as the contents will be extremely hot. Gently stir in baking soda until mixture becomes light and foamy. Turn batter out onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet, scraping sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Allow brittle to cool, then break into pieces.

Well, I made a bunch of chocolates and some various flavors of caramel corn so far. Of those, the following had peppers in them:

Chocolate: dark chocolate + dried habenero ganache, coated in dark chocolate.

Caramel corn: You can use the "My Amish Friend's Caramel Corn" recipe from Allrecipes or whatever one you want. The difference is that I dice peppers and cook the popcorn in oil with them. If I want additional heat, I'll sprinkle dried, ground peppers over the popcorn before adding the caramel.
I made a medium, which was with cayenne peppers and the hot, which was with habenero.

I was somewhat disappointed with the heat of the habenero ones, because I had to add 12 dried habeneros worth of peppers to the popcorn after cooking it and it still wasn't very hot. I will probably try again when the warmer months are around and I can grow and use my own peppers again.

i just added a recipe to my profile so check it out . chocolate habanero pork meatballs...........this is my dessert,im not down with the sweet :hell:

welcome couverture! Your recipe suggestions are really creative. Thanks for posting.

compmodder, may I suggest not adding the powdered sugar until everything else is thoroughly mixed. post pics when it's done :cool:

welcome couverture! Your recipe suggestions are really creative. Thanks for posting.

compmodder, may I suggest not adding the powdered sugar until everything else is thoroughly mixed. post pics when it's done :cool:

Yeah the powdered sugar is last of all. I'll mix the vanilla and Pure Evil in thoroughly, then add the powdered sugar. Pics are a given. ;)

Thanks to everyone for their recipes and suggestions. I&rsquo;ve decided on making a New York style raspberry cheesecake with a dark chocolate cr&egrave;me sauce laced with my &ldquo;death powder&rdquo; (mix of bhuts, 7 pot jonah and others). Should be fun taste testing the sauce for the right ingredient mix. All chefs have to test their fare, right?

Also, like the idea of chocolate dipped peppers. Will definitely try this with fresh pods next growing season.

Lemon cookies with some aji lemon drops I have frozen would be interesting; but the wife has already baked the Christmas cookies and she is telling me this will not be permitted!

Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year!

Back