• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chile Pepper Radio Show

So a guy I went to grad school with hosts a local radio show on Saturday mornings and he makes his music themed to a particular subject...in a couple of weeks, it will be about chile peppers! I gave him multiple plants last season, one of which was a fatali that he overwintered, and I think I turned a casual chile addict into a full blown chile head. Long story short, he wants me to come on the show and give a history/taxonomy/cultural relevance/capsaicin/hottest pepper debate type show...

I want some input from THP on the types of things I should talk about. TScorp Butch T will definitely be on the table...and I'll definitely mention Neil over at Hippy Seed Company, while dispelling rumours of the Guiness "posers". Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys think the average person should know about chile peppers.

Hopefully Omri won't call in and debate about Caribbean Red Habanero's :rofl:

take a lesson from pepperjoe, jalapeno, cayenne, seranno have been the stable of hot peppers for the longest time. don't think i would start out with the big whammy right out of the starter gate. you could then move on to datil being raised in augustine florida and all the hype around that. i would leave the super hots until someone asks or lead into it slowly. a well planned out formula for the presentation of hot peppers. remember this forum is quite unique and not a lot of outsiders have heard about the hotties. you could always leave a special presentation on the ghost pepper because you know that will eventually come up.

happy broadcasting.

Yeah, I should have clarified a bit on the super hot record imposters...I think we all know where those come from and it rhymes with England.

As for the show, I think I'll refrain from going all "dork" and only getting into the nitty gritty when asked specific questions.

Definitely start off with the history - that the pepper originated in the Americas, was taken by Columbus to Europe, spread literally around the world as fast as it did, and has been cultivated into so many varieties, is quite amazing.

Then, you can talk about the Datil. :) :)

Back